Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Purple AK is offline Pit Babe Magnet
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Barnes View Post
    My car has done 109,000 miles... I live in Wales and work in Sheffield.... not sure if thats very clever? Given the mileage and the fact after being stung for £1,200 its been serviced at a local independent, I don't think VW would help sadly!!

However, in my hunt for the problems, I'm hearing about these things "failing" at anything from 40k miles upwards. The stupid thing is they don't actually fail, the car runs fine. The motor moves a flap which is a cheap plastic arm, over time it wears and the motor has to move a little further to make it open. This then tells the computer its out of its specified range and bingo... on comes the dash light.

This is why I love carbs!!
    So it's a known fault (regardless of milage)............... So the car is not fit for...................... I give up! I'll get my Coat
    Chris
    AK427 351Cleveland T5WC

slogger is offline Driving God
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple AK View Post
    So it's a known fault (regardless of milage)............... So the car is not fit for...................... I give up! I'll get my Coat
    Got to be worth a phone call. Audi replaced the 6 coil packs, well 5 as I bought one, under warranty on a 55 plate TT with 85k and only part history. VW have been doing the same on the R32 and GTi Golf.
    Ian DAX 454 Chevy
    It's not shabby!............. Just has a highly developed patina! My Gallery Take a look.

Lloyd Barnes is offline Technical Director
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple AK View Post
    I hear what you're saying pal and in other circumstances I'd give it a pop, but after my £1,200 service the local VW dealer and I didn't part on the best of terms!!! I'm not sure there a lot of goodwill there after I'd called them robbing bastards!!!
    Lloyd B
    Current: Crendon #54 in build - 427 Side Oiler/Cobrajet Heads/Dual 600cfm Holleys/4 speed toploader
    Dedion Dax/Clarkson 383 Chevy with roller 4/7 swap cam, AFR195 heads - SOLD

Clarkson is offline Driving God
    I hear what you're saying pal and in other circumstances I'd give it a pop, but after my £1,200 service the local VW dealer and I didn't part on the best of terms!!! I'm not sure there a lot of goodwill there after I'd called them robbing bastards!!!
    Why did your dealer carry out £1200 worth of work without your consent?? Surely they called you first? I'm not allowed to touch a car without the owners consent let alone do any unauthorised work
    David

SR full rebuild, now on the road, needs paint/trim to finish
    TWM EFI 388ci 532hp/498tq
    Power steering fitted.

IVA approved engine builder.

it went in for an oil service, they phoned to say the "front brakes were a bit low and needed doing". Stupidly I said sure crack on. The car at that point had done about 18,000 miles (I know cos its the last bloody VW stamp in the book) so it never ocurred to me that it would be anything other than a set of pads.

I got to the dealers to find new pads and discs fitted... good discs mind you... should be at £400 odd for pair. Then there was £120 for the oil.... Forgive me for thinking that there's not much money in selling cars nowadays so you get raped each time you walk into a dealer.

We parted on less than amicable terms as they refused to reduce the bill by as much a a penny!
    Lloyd B
    Current: Crendon #54 in build - 427 Side Oiler/Cobrajet Heads/Dual 600cfm Holleys/4 speed toploader

Clarkson is offline Driving God
    it went in for an oil service, they phoned to say the "front brakes were a bit low and needed doing". Stupidly I said sure crack on. The car at that point had done about 18,000 miles (I know cos its the last bloody VW stamp in the book) so it never ocurred to me that it would be anything other than a set of pads.

I got to the dealers to find new pads and discs fitted... good discs mind you... should be at £400 odd for pair. Then there was £120 for the oil.... Forgive me for thinking that there's not much money in selling cars nowadays so you get raped each time you walk into a dealer.

We parted on less than amicable terms as they refused to reduce the bill by as much a a penny!
    You boys have to drive 2ton cars, cost an arm and leg to run same as the Q7! I'm suprised you never needed any tyres at the same time.

£100 oil is normal, long life. Up to 2 years 19k miles, and again your motor holds nearly 8trs. If it was not on long life your car would have needed 2 services.... So bet your £100 oil doesn't sound so bad after all.
    David

SR full rebuild, now on the road, needs paint/trim to finish
    TWM EFI 388ci 532hp/498tq
    Power steering fitted.

IVA approved engine builder.

Quote Originally Posted by Clarkson View Post
    You boys have to drive 2ton cars, cost an arm and leg to run same as the Q7! I'm suprised you never needed any tyres at the same time.
    Solved that problem by changing cars.... oh wait

The Touareg to be fair has been a stunning car, but for anyone thinking of getting one the running costs... OMG! Its had 4, count em, 4 sets of brake discs in the 98k miles I've had it. I've literally lost count of the tyres I've had fitted, there is no way its less than 5 full sets and I'd go as far as saying it could be up to 8. It didn't help my car having low profiles I don't think.

Ironically the VW was too good. It was silly fast for a 4x4, quicker than your normal 2.0TDi repcar and whilst I'm not claiming it was a sportscar, it cornered well enough that you tried to drive it like a saloon. That kind of driving + 2.5 tonnes = knackered tyres and brakes! I bought a 4x4 (partly cos I live in the hills and partly to tow a car trailer) but also because I wanted something that encouraged me to relax rather than drive like your pants were on fire!

This part I definitely have now sorted, no way you'd chuck a Range at a corner too fast!! Thats why I didn't get the Sport, it was as good to drive as the VW so no good!! (can you see why I confuse the wife sometimes!!)
    Lloyd B

wilf is offline Banned for owning a STAG!!! Pit Babe Magnet
    I read things like this with a wry smile.

The Sale of Goods act demands that goods last for a "reasonable time". In the case of a car, should we not expect 10 years and 200k miles out of them? The Motor trade as a whole is in denial about the SOGA - try telling a secondhand car salesman that the law requires him to fix ANY fault that appears within 6 months after the purchase date - because it does. They still try to blindside people with "3 month warranties" on s/h cars. LOL

These so called "goodwill" payments are simply the manufacturer's desperate attempts to head off a test case which would phuk them up big time. If only people were aware of thier rights.
    Crendon has left the building................bright yellow Stag has landed.

David, I need some advice!!!

Well the saga continues..... These are the three fault codes I had to start with...

Chassis Type: 7L - VW Touareg
    Scan: 01 02 03 05 06 08 09 11 13 15 16 17 18 19 1C 22 29 32 34 36
    37 39 3C 46 47 55 56 57 64 65 68 69 6C 6D 6E 75 76 77

VIN: WVGZZZ7LZ8D040545 Mileage: 165110km/102594miles
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Address 01: Engine Labels: Redir Fail!
    Part No SW: 7L0 907 401 F HW: 7L0 907 401 D
    Component: 3.0L V6TDI G000AG 0040
    Revision: --H05--- Serial number: VWX3Z0G1676880
    Coding: 0011779
    Shop #: WSC 31414 790 00001
    VCID: 2E58E607BA0C654
    3 Faults Found:

012597 - Intake Manifold Runner Control
    P3135 - 001 - Lower Stop not Reached - Intermittent
    Freeze Frame:
    Fault Status: 00100001
    Fault Priority: 0
    Fault Frequency: 46
    Mileage: 142911 km
    Time Indication: 0
    Date: 2011.07.30
    Time: 10:50:18
    Freeze Frame:
    RPM: 0 /min
    Torque: 0.0 Nm
    Speed: 0.0 km/h
    Voltage: 12.24 V
    Duty Cycle: 88.8 %
    Duty Cycle: 20.5 %
    Duty Cycle: 20.5 %

009253 - Exhaust Gas Recirculation Cooling Valve Control
    P2425 - 001 - Open Circuit
    Freeze Frame:
    Fault Status: 01100001
    Fault Frequency: 254
    Mileage: 156885 km
    Date: 2011.11.21
    Time: 06:51:51
    Freeze Frame:
    RPM: 2016 /min
    Torque: 549.9 Nm
    Speed: 100.8 km/h
    Duty Cycle: 51.8 %
    Voltage: 14.29 V
    (no units): 0.0
    Temperature: 493.0°C

004120 - Intake Manifold Runner (Bank 2)
    P1018 - 001 - Lower limit not reached - Intermittent
    Freeze Frame:
    Fault Status: 00100001
    Fault Frequency: 1
    Mileage: 164563 km
    Date: 2012.01.17
    Time: 18:00:33
    Freeze Frame:
    RPM: 966 /min
    Torque: 39.0 Nm
    Speed: 0.0 km/h
    Voltage: 12.62 V
    Duty Cycle: 80.9 %
    Duty Cycle: 88.8 %
    Duty Cycle: 80.9 %
    Readiness: 1 2 0 0 0

EGR Open circuit was easy, the wires just by the connector had snapped so sorted that! Then replaced the inlet manifold on bank 2 as per the first/third fault... and engine light went out. Very happy.... Then it came back on again, very unhappy

Its the first fault that comes straight back. I'd hoped replacing bank 2 would sort it but no. I'm guessing this means that bank 1 is shagged as well but before I fork out another £461, is there any way of telling if it definitely relates to Bank 1? The third code specifically states Bank 2, but the first code doesn't say anything?

God I'm sick of this car
    Lloyd B

aaronjb is offline Technical Director
    Hmm.. any chance it's a high resistance wiring fault to the problematic actuator? Rather like the EGR one.. perhaps sometimes not allowing full signal through to whatever it is (I presume it's either a stepper motor, vacuum valve or solenoid)?

This is a big diseasel engine, isn't it? I'm not so familiar with those - what do these runner controls actually do? Perhaps there's another fault somewhere that's preventing them from operating as they should.. if it were a petrol car and these were electrically operated throttles that were never closing I'd wonder if a supplementary idle circuit wasn't functioning properly, for example..
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast