Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hubby is offline Tyre Kicker

Chevy 350 question

Hi all, I have the chance to buy a chevy 350 marine engine and was wondering if these are the same as a car/truck engine?
    I have read that they used better parts in the marine engine such as pistons and camshafts is this correct? and can they be run on the road? also are the heads the same as a car engine?

Also does anyone know how the cooling system works on a marine engine as i am slightly concerned about salt water being pumped around a cast iron block

Any advice will be greatly appreciated

Regards

Andrew

mike huddart is offline Mechanic
    Andrew,
    first thing is to find out if it's reverse rotation or not, otherwise you might find yourself doing 120 mph......backwards !
    Other than that if it's a fairly modern engine then it will be virtually identical to a regular truck engine save for stainless gaskets and things like that.Any idea of year? Ancilliaries will be marine only in spec and might cause problems. Heads are the same as car but might have stainless valves. Cooling as far as the base engine goes is the same except its usually total loss and the water exits via the exhaust to cool it. Yes, the salt water rots everything if not maintained properly, we've seen plenty of heads with holes rotted through.
    Better check on engine numbers as some are marine specific and won't get through an IVA test and check the date codes too.
    Mike

Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

the engine number i have is 4088548 but i think he might of missed out a 1 at the start? 14088548 is a 1986-94 350 block. how can i tell the rotation of the engine? it is currently in a few bits lol

Andrew

mike huddart is offline Mechanic
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubby View Post
    the engine number i have is 4088548 but i think he might of missed out a 1 at the start? 14088548 is a 1986-94 350 block. how can i tell the rotation of the engine? it is currently in a few bits lol

Andrew
    Two ways to make engine go backwards, have a look at the timing gears, if it's a pair of gears and no chain it's reverse rotation OR more likely, conventional gears and chain and special cam gears to make the oil pump go the right way. Look at the disi gear, the helix goes left to right starting from the base on a conventional engine, right to left for reverse.You can easily convert an engine by reverting to a conventional camshaft and disi gear.
    Engine code is 86-88 not 96, two or four bolt.
    Mike

labeline is offline Head Mechanic

Chevy 350

Hubby

Not much help with your original question but this reply concerns the choice of a Chevy engine. There is no doubt that the Chevy 350 is a great engine, I have had mine in a Cobra since 1993 and it was a popular choice then and still is. However, with hindsight I would have fitted a Ford. There are plenty to choose from and they just give that extra bit of authenticity. There are some seriously nice valve covers etc and although there is probably not so much choice performance wise the 'Powered by Ford' bit just adds some seriousness to the car.If you are still at the what engine stage, think seriously about it. If I ever get the opportunity and the money!, I will swop mine over or better still, build another Cobra.

craggle is offline Pit Babe Magnet
    Fit the Chevy and bollocks to authenticity.

I have never really understood why you would want to make a car that is clearly not an original Cobra, pretend to be one. No matter how hard you try you will never hide the fact that is made of fibreglass and has Jaguar or Ford suspension underneath.

I built a Dax because I wanted a Dax, Not a Cobra. I have fitted Dax badges on it too and I haven't put the word "Cobra" anywhere on it. If people ask me what it is I tell them it's a Dax.

Fitting a Chevy in a true replica like a Kirkham would be wrong, Even I would agree with that but then I would also say fitting a 351W or a 351C in a 427 Kirkham would also be wrong. If you have a Kirkham it has to be a big block Ford looking like the original 427 side oiler.

Just my opinion off course but fit what you like, It's your car.

Craig.

Built a Dax once, Long time ago, painted it blue, original huh...?

http://www.cobraclub.com/gallery/showgallery.php/ppuser/714/username/craggle

Lloyd Barnes is offline Technical Director
    Morning Craig! Wondered if that post might get a response!! Do agree, I find the whole Ford v Chevy thing a bit of pointless debate really in a plastic car.

Would you agree though that the Ford does sound better?
    Lloyd B
    Current: Crendon #54 in build - 427 Side Oiler/Cobrajet Heads/Dual 600cfm Holleys/4 speed toploader
    Dedion Dax/Clarkson 383 Chevy with roller 4/7 swap cam, AFR195 heads - SOLD

craggle is offline Pit Babe Magnet
    Morning Lloyd

Never noticed any difference in the sound really. I think sidepipes tend to spoil the sound anyway as you can only hear one side of the motor at a time. My friend has a 351C in a hot rod and it has separate pipes for each side of the engine but as they come out the back next to each other it sounds lovely.

I have heard some equally lovely sounding Camero's and one seriously nice 1955 2 door Chevy.

I think all V8's sound nice really, even the little Rover ones.

Craig.

Built a Dax once, Long time ago, painted it blue, original huh...?

http://www.cobraclub.com/gallery/showgallery.php/ppuser/714/username/craggle

labeline is offline Head Mechanic

Chevy 350

I agree that there is no point trying to make a fibreglass car look like the real thing though I am sure that some of the American kit makers would disagree (imagine what we would be saying now if Shelby had built his cars in fibreglass and fitted a Chevy engine, both of which he considered - Don't try to make it look real by putting a Chevy in an Aluminium lookalike!) and I don't try to pass mine off as a real one.....a bit of a pointless exercise in a Cobretti! My point was, if you haven't chosen an engine yet, consider the alternatives before buying a Chevy. I just think the Ford Engines look better. They wire up more tidily and you wont get some of the annoying problems like heat soak in your starter solenoid which is a bummer when it won't start in a petrol station (easily cured by the way) and trying to shim your starter as it revolves around on it's two bolt mounting!. If you plump for the Chevy great, its a fantastic engine and there are loads of bits for them but it's not the only choice and you want to be happy with what you fit.

As Craggy says, (Edit: sorry that should be Craggle!) it's your car, do what you like with it. To get back to your original point though, I wouldn't bother with a Marine Engine when there are so many automotive engines around. If you should buy it though at least it will be good in the rain!!!
    Last edited by labeline; 31-10-09 at 11:47 AM. Reason: Spelling

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast