Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    GARY is offline Mechanic

Side pipe mounting brackets

Hi all,
    i was just wondering about which maybe the best way to attach support brackets for my side pipes now that i`am finally at the stage to hang them, and how you guys have done it.
    I have studied past post and the general consensus is singular rear brackets each side, which i agree with, and have some plate steel ready to do the job, what i`m unsure of is the design to allow movement, how to incorporate the rubber bobbins i have and if to bolt the brackets to the underside chassis or weld the the brackets to the chassis. I was originally opting for an M10 bolt straight through the box section and holding the brackets with spring washers and nylock nuts, welding a section of steel on the bracket a 90 degree right angle to hold tight against the chassis side, this would eliminate twisting movement of the bracket.
    During the latter part of my assembly of the side pipe project i opted for V-Band Clamps to attach the Classic Chambered Muffler sections to the merge collectors, i was unsure whether to fit them as i wanted an authentic 60s look, but in the end a saw the benefits they have.Once the flanges of the clamps are welded you can attach the side pipe muffler to the collector in about 2 minutes and is suppose to give a gas tight seal, un-bolting it takes about the same time,
    if you ever wanted to run open headers this is easy, if the desire takes you.I also had the idea if my un-packed classic Chambered mufflers which are 3in internal were to loud, i could order some extra ones that are packed, and weld the V-Clamp flanges on them, this way having the choice.
    Anyway if there are any thoughts to the support brackets, possibly with pics i would appreciate it, as i`ll be hoping to crack on with it at the weekend, i`ll attach a few of my latest pics,,
    Gary.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Warren is offline Technical Director
    F me us AK builders were spoilt! Our chassis came with brackets.

Does the chassis long arm run along the length of the car? If so think flat, 90 degree vertical (or angled 65 degree'ish) then flat again so you can support a bobbin which in turn will support the exhaust, someone will be along with pictures, not sure I have anything in the gallery that will show this in detail.

I can go photo mine tomorrow if you need it

Wetpool is offline Chief Bottle Washer and Tea Boy
    Be aware of heat transfer issues if you rest your pipes on a bobbin though, found mine loose after a few hundred miles. I ended up welding a small, drilled U-section on underside of last piece of pipe, sofar it does a fine job.
    Best Reg, Theo
    Not for the faint hearted, not for the shy...

TINKA is offline Driving God
    MY AK uses their old system of mounting the sidepipes straight bit of 6mm bar welded to the chassis with a 1/2" piece of rubber sandwiched between that bracket and the exhaust bracket with a nut and bolt holding them together. Would post a picture but seams that is not possible any more.
    Last edited by TINKA; 19-03-13 at 08:02 AM.

GARY is offline Mechanic
    Hi all,
    thanks for your replies, and yes my chassis box section runs the full length of the sides right up to to the wheel arches, but from what i can see of my set up is i don't have a lot of room to angle a bracket to accommodate the bobbins i bought.
    From what i can make out is i can run a section of bracket straight out side ways to the side pipe attached either by bolting or welding to the underside of the chassis, but by the time i have welded a section of steel to the side pipe to meet the chassis attached section , there would be insufficient room for a bobbin, only room for a section of rubber to sandwich as you describe on your AK Tinka.
    Sorry you can`t post a picture as it would be helpful, but i think i understand what yo mean on your set up, and it may have to be the same on mine, have you noticed any problems doing it this way, and is it advisable to drill a hole straight down through the chassis to bolt the bracket on or is it advisable to weld it on,
    Gary.

JayKay is offline Mechanic
    Gary, This is how AK brackets work:

Attachment 25801

Brackets cranked down from chassis rail to leave space for the rubber bobbins. HTH John K
    ‚ÄčAK 427 with Chevy 350 SBC by CP&P - Registered January 2013

Just found out I have an old picture of my setup so I hope this works. Hope its clear what I mean and no unsightly bobbin sticking out below the exhaust.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Martin

351W 416.7 HP and 466.8 ft-lbs

Running Mega Squirt and Edis 8

GARY is offline Mechanic
    Thanks for the pictures it looks like i have a choice of supporting them in different ways although keeping it simple and hopefully supported with enough movement when the engine rocks, as mine has a fairly lumpy idle, is the key.
    It seems that Martin`s AK will be the closest to my SR arrangement when i looking at the picture, the side pipe height looks about the same, now is there any thoughts as to whether the rubber gasket needs to be positioned as like yours Martin with the weight of the pipes under the gasket or sat on top, or would it not matter,
    Gary.

If you put it on top it is more difficult to take it on and off and the bracket would need to be lower and visable. With it mounted like this the bolt takes the full weight but because there is a rubber sheet between this allows all the movement required and more. Had my pipes mounted like this for over 40,000 miles and 9 years I think it is now.
    Martin

351W 416.7 HP and 466.8 ft-lbs

Running Mega Squirt and Edis 8

cobracol is offline Technical Director
    Quote Originally Posted by TINKA View Post
    Just found out I have an old picture of my setup so I hope this works. Hope its clear what I mean and no unsightly bobbin sticking out below the exhaust.
    Yep mines petty much the same as Martins, never had a problem with it in 7 years 20k miles, the bobbin one is a good idea but can look ugly from the side IMHO of course cant post picture as usuall but you get the idea!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast