jeff is offline Chief Engineer

Checking castor angle

I am still not 100% happy with the handling on my sumo so this week end I am going to double check everything, camber, bump steer and toe in is not a problem to check but I do not know how to measure the castor angle.

On the driver side I do not have any spacing washers on the top wishbone as there is no room to fit them but I do have 3mm of packing on the nearside, I would really like to get this the same on both sides so any help on how to measure castor much appreciated
    Jeff

Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals such as hydrogen and oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer

Sidecarbod is offline Driving God
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff View Post
    I am still not 100% happy with the handling on my sumo so this week end I am going to double check everything, camber, bump steer and toe in is not a problem to check but I do not know how to measure the castor angle.

On the driver side I do not have any spacing washers on the top wishbone as there is no room to fit them but I do have 3mm of packing on the nearside, I would really like to get this the same on both sides so any help on how to measure castor much appreciated
    Hi Jeff,

I must admit that caster is the one thing that I have not managed to make a Heath Robinson tool to measure. I think that you can buy gauges for about fifth quid which will carry out the task.

Camber, tracking and bumpsteer seem to have the most effect on the steering in my humble.

Pete
    I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent.

Rules for buying 'Go Faster' parts:-

If it's fast and cheap then it's not good.
    If it's cheap and good then it's not fast.
    If it's good and fast then it's not cheap!

Sidecarbod is offline Driving God
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidecarbod View Post
    Hi Jeff,

I must admit that caster is the one thing that I have not managed to make a Heath Robinson tool to measure. I think that you can buy gauges for about fifth quid which will carry out the task.

Camber, tracking and bumpsteer seem to have the most effect on the steering in my humble.

Pete
    fifth.....er fifty quid!
    I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent.

Rules for buying 'Go Faster' parts:-

If it's fast and cheap then it's not good.
    If it's cheap and good then it's not fast.
    If it's good and fast then it's not cheap!

I agree Pete but just have this nagging thought about the castor and I would really like to castor the same each side before I re set and check everything else.
    I could take measurements from the chassis but I do not think the chassis is accurate enough.

Was playing with it on Sunday but could not really find any way to get a vertical center line that references to anything square.
    Jeff

Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals such as hydrogen and oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer

Jeff