My RAM Cobra Build
Finally thought I would put up a running blog for the build of my RAM Cobra. I’ve been lingering about the forum, but time for a formal hello!
Quick intro to me... I’m originally from Surrey, went to University in Loughborough, where I have just graduated with a Masters Degree in Automotive Engineering, I currently reside in North Wales with my parents until October when I move to Nantwich in Cheshire to start work for Bentley Motors. Which means I have plenty of time on my hands for the kit! I know my way round a tool box fairly well and I am a race engineer part time so I’m hoping to put as much as I can into the kit. Hopefully there are other members around for meets which I want to start coming to.
Anyhow...the car! The kit which comprised of the chassis, body and steering/suspension gear was sitting in a friends garage when I was about 17 years old...it had been sitting there untouched since 1985!! So as a typical 17 year old (with taste) I wanted it...badly! And 4 years later myself and my dad convinced him to part with it! I’m not 23...maybe one of the youngest forum goers?
I have decided that the car is a kit car...and will always be a replica so I am not after an out and out authentic replica, rather, a good looking car which has the ability to be a road car but also a racer...so it might not be to everyone’s taste. I’ve done a write up, I have many other photos but there’s that 8 photo limit and I didn’t want to bore you all too much!!
So.... after towing it to Wales I started looking into what I had got myself into!
So immediately I started thinking about engines, including modern BMW/Audi V8s etc but finally decided getting the on the road was best so stuck with the RV8 as I already had the LT77.
So while hunting for a suitable engine to bypass having cats I got to work on other bits, mostly trail fitting and sourcing of parts
Lifted the diff in...and to my pleasant surprise it was a 3.54 PowerLoc Diff
Had loads of problems with the rear chassis parts, nothing fitted properly at all so took many hours of grinding and filing to get it to all bolt up
Then sent off the rear hubs to Ward for refurbishment and fitted the rear trailing arms
I have now decided that the rear trailing arm design is completely wrong so am binning them
In with the gearbox and engine mounts
Tested the radiator (rover SD1 2600)
At this point I had a right battle with getting the coilovers together, ended up sending them to a local machine shop!
Found myself a Donor!! A lovely 1990 MOT failure RRC with a 3.9 EFI engine for £350...So off I went in my trusty 110!
More in next Post...
Last edited by Adam001; 20-08-11 at 08:23 PM.
1985 RAM Cobra
3.9 RV8 plus other non-ram bits