Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hot Engine cranks slowly

Recently on a couple of occasions ,my AK has started to suffer from slow cranking , once the engine is hot and recently when I pressed the starter, it just clicked and would not even crank the engine, until I let the engine cool for a while ,then it span over fine. I know the battery is good, having had it checked when my alternator regulator gave up . I have read on the forum that these symptoms can be caused by starter motor/solenoid heat soak ,and sometimes solving it by fitting a remote solenoid, which is well away from any heat .

However I don’t understand how that would cure the slow cranking because I always thought the solenoid was just a heavy duty switch for the starter motor, and my solenoid has already engaged the starter ,as my engine is turning over ,and it’s the starter surely ,that is failing ? If I have got that wrong ,maybe someone could correct me please.

I know that heat can add resistance to the electrical efficiency of the starter motor/solenoid , so I have insulated my starter/ combined solenoid from the exhaust manifold heat, so if my problem is heat soak related, could the heat from the engine physically transfer across metal to metal be enough to affect the starter efficiency ?
    Paul.

AK Huddart Chevy 383 Stroker, BMW Royal Grey Metal Metallic , 5 speed Jaguar Getrag , Holley 670cfm 4 barrel street Avenger Carb, 450 BHP at flywheel , 460 Ibs/ft torque, and luvin it !

" We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing" - George Bernard Shaw.

Poor connections on the earth etc? My big old fashioned starter on my SBC has a silver insulated cover and has never suffered from slow hot cranking.

Andy

Paul, remote solenoid is a bit of a misnomer, an Americanism if you like. Basically all it is it's a large relay which you activate with your normal switch but the pass through wires are heavy gauge direct from the battery so you get more current flowing to your starter motor.

Happened to my LS, route caused to a poorly fitting connection on the starter solenoid from the ignition switch. The contact was arcing and not holding the solenoid switch shut properly.

Worse when hot, I assume because the connection even worse with expansion, but I could always tell there was something wrong when it was cold too. You know that feeling when "it just doesn't feel right".
    Regards

Craig Perry

No, I'm not "repairing" it, I'm fine tuning its performance.

Had exactly the same and after trying allsorts a starter swap cured it i didnt initially realise the mini hi torque ones came in dif hp ratings and initially i had if i recall correctly 1.8hp one on then after swapped out to a 3hp one is perfect all the time , the symptoms i had was like having a flat battery when the engine was hot but ok if cool .
    (Should add its on a SBC )

Likewise, tried all sorts of things to cure the same problem on my SBC but a change to a Tilton mini starter solved it instantly and permanently.
    Cheers

Myles D-W

Quote Originally Posted by corn plaster View Post
    Poor connections on the earth etc? My big old fashioned starter on my SBC has a silver insulated cover and has never suffered from slow hot cranking.

Andy
    I have insulated my starter from exhaust manifold heat with foil sided asbestos .Once I have got this last lot of decorating out the way, I will start checking simple things first ,like earthing problems and connections ,and hopefully that will sort it quickly ,as its been fine up until now , since I bought the car three years ago..
    Paul.

AK Huddart Chevy 383 Stroker, BMW Royal Grey Metal Metallic , 5 speed Jaguar Getrag , Holley 670cfm 4 barrel street Avenger Carb, 450 BHP at flywheel , 460 Ibs/ft torque, and luvin it !

" We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing" - George Bernard Shaw.

Quote Originally Posted by tonym View Post
    Paul, remote solenoid is a bit of a misnomer, an Americanism if you like. Basically all it is it's a large relay which you activate with your normal switch but the pass through wires are heavy gauge direct from the battery so you get more current flowing to your starter motor.
    Thanks Tony, sorry if this is a bit long winded, but just so I have got this right, when the starter button is pressed, the solenoid attached to my current starter throws the pinion drive out ,which engages into the geared fly wheel, and the starter motor then spins the pinion drive, which then gets thrown back in,once the engine fires .

So when a remote solenoid is fitted, the original starter/solenoid unit is retained, and the original wire powering the pinion throw out side of the circuit is retained ,as it does not take as much current to just throw the pinion out ,but the wire powering the starter motor itself is bypassed with a heavy gauge wire direct from the battery ,though the remote solenoid ,(which is located somewhere cool) ,and onto the starter motor, giving the starter motor full battery potential ?
    Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by david hemmings View Post
    Had exactly the same and after trying allsorts a starter swap cured it i didnt initially realise the mini hi torque ones came in dif hp ratings and initially i had if i recall correctly 1.8hp one on then after swapped out to a 3hp one is perfect all the time , the symptoms i had was like having a flat battery when the engine was hot but ok if cool .
    (Should add its on a SBC )
    If my problem is being caused by an under powered starter motor, ,I would have thought that as my engine spins ok when cold , this proves my original starter is up to the job surely ?,and may be affected by heat soak, dropping its efficiency , or is this how fitting a higher powered starter over comes the heat soak effects ?
    Paul.

I am confused as to what to try first, either fit a remote starter or a more powerful starter motor? The starter on my SBC was probably fitted by Mike Huddart, and I am not going to ask him ,as he will probably say he fitted a standard SBC starter as usual ,which should be fine on “proper cars”( he is not a fan of kit cars )

Are these mini Tilton starters more efficient and draw less current than standard starters?
    Paul.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast