Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sump Dilema

Sump Dilema

I have just received a very nice sump guard from AK Charlie.
    As I suspected it won't fit because my chevy 383 has an 8 1/4 inch sump.

As I see it I can either space the sump guard down from the chassis or
    spend £400 - £500 quid on a fancy Moroso 7 inch sump.

Obviously the easiest quickest and cheapest would be to use spacers.
    However having had a quick look it looks like I would have to space it down 20 -25 mm.
    I'm just worried I'm reducing the ground clearance to an unacceptable level.

I should point out I don't know what that is yet as I haven't even put the build wheels on.
    But I'm guessing it will be pretty low.

Any thoughts, advice especially if you have a similar setup would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Mike.

Don't forget if you change the sump you'll need to change the oil pipe pick up too!

I know, the sump that came with the engine had a matched pick up.

Real steel do a 7 inch deep one that will work but it's a moroso high end job. Which is nearly £500 with matching pickup etc.

There are lots in the states but it's a bit of a minefield making sure you get one that works..

As I recall Charlies guards are a few mm thick therefore you could just increase the overall ride height of the car to compensate for the lower sump. In any case it will be low to the floor as it is on all our cars. I'd buy some 25mm spacers and try that. Once you have the wheels on and you have set the ride height you can always change your mind if it is too low to the ground. Saves spending £500 on a "what if?"
    AK GenII, collected 11th September 2015, passed IVA March 22nd 2017, On the road Friday 28th April 2017.
    LS6 468.4 bhp, 440 ft/lbs on the Dyno
    Canems ECU

Blog: http://markscobra.blogspot.co.uk

Personally I would go with the new sump, as these cars are low enough without giving yourself more hassle with clearance under your engine. When I sorted mine out I actually found I could raise my engine about an inch without causing any problems as I had enough clearance to the bonnet. Otherwise it would look like a 4WD
    Martin

351W 416.7 HP and 466.8 ft-lbs

Running Mega Squirt and Edis 8

Pity it does not fit. If you send it back to me with the measurements you require I will have it altered to suit at no cost. However, from experience, my sump is very low and I still ground out on humps etc. If you need another 20mm to 25mm clearance you will be in big trouble. Even if you raise the ride height it will not look right so in my opinion you should bite the bullet and change the oil pan. Smashing your sump etc will be more expensive!
    Cheers
    Charlie

Quote Originally Posted by incey1966 View Post
    I have just received a very nice sump guard from AK Charlie.
    As I suspected it won't fit because my chevy 383 has an 8 1/4 inch sump.

As I see it I can either space the sump guard down from the chassis or
    spend £400 - £500 quid on a fancy Moroso 7 inch sump.

Obviously the easiest quickest and cheapest would be to use spacers.
    However having had a quick look it looks like I would have to space it down 20 -25 mm.
    I'm just worried I'm reducing the ground clearance to an unacceptable level.

I should point out I don't know what that is yet as I haven't even put the build wheels on.
    But I'm guessing it will be pretty low.

Any thoughts, advice especially if you have a similar setup would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Mike.
    Joint Area Rep - East Midlands Region
    AKCharlie - ''AKA SOOTY'' - AK GEN2 - LS3 - 6.2litre - 434bhp - A dream come true

Just had another thought. Does the sump come below the bell housing ? If yes then definitely change the sump BUT if the sump is not and the bell housing is level or even lower then that would be a pointless exercise as you would ideally still need to protect the bell housing. As I said raising the engine slightly could be a better answer.
    Martin

Yes the sump does sit lower than the bell housing (standard Corvette).
    I think after doing a bit of research and listening to the comments on here, a new sump may be the way to go.
    I just wish I could find one a bit cheaper....

Or this Which is kicked out both sides rather than one for oval track racing.
    Martin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast