Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Failing the SVA

Failing the SVA

I'm absolutely certain that when I finally get to this, the car will fail. Trouble is, I have no idea on what it will fail.

I'm offering this as an on-going thread for all where people can tell the rest of us why they failed, and how they sorted it..........

Re: Failing the SVA

...and as a first request for knowledge. Safetyspice says that he failed because the steering column wasn't properly secured, and the reverse taper wasn't bushed. These are a new one on me - do we think this is an on-going new rule, or just a new jobsworth being over-enthusiastic?

If anyone from Pilgrim is reading this, what do they think?

I don't mind following the rules, but I don't have the gear or knowledge to insert bushes in reverse tapers. I'm not king of the welders, but I do have the gear to add a fillet down the sides of the Z-plate, and will happily do other peoples in the West Surrey area. But is filleting what this fellow is asking for?

Also, if people fail on "a few minor things" (Safetyspice) , what were they - any chance of passing on that knowledge too?

Heres some for the list,

1 wipers do not clear sreen to give acceptable view.
    changed drive cog in mini wiper gearbox to a 130

2 dash lower edge not radiused to 19mm or 5mm if padded.
    this fault was due to the leather was too tight on the dash and had squashed the padding too far.

3 boot hinges not radiused to 2.5mm.
    had to remodel hinge to comply (was changing hinges anyway).

4 brake pedal has insufficient travel.
    Adjusted the push rod between the servo and the master cylinder.

5 wiring in boot insecure.
    one loose wire behind rear lights needed an extra tie.

these were on a pilgrim, and tested at newcastle.

steering column passed ok using the standard bracket as supplied by pilgrim.
    JOHN

Pilgrim Sumo

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie
    I'm absolutely certain that when I finally get to this, the car will fail. Trouble is, I have no idea on what it will fail.

I'm offering this as an on-going thread for all where people can tell the rest of us why they failed, and how they sorted it..........
    Good idea this, Bernie

Come on lads and lassies !!!!
    Cheers !!
    Terry

If It Ain't Broke Don't Fix It !!

www.topclassphotographics.co.uk

My Pilgrim was tested at Gillingham (Sittingbourne) and as previously mentioned in another thread, the guys there are all extremely helpful and seem to ry and pass the vehicle if they can.
    My fail sheet showed the following items :-

loose wiring in the n/s footwell - it seems that new guidance for the testers is that wires, taped or not, need to be fixed to the chassis (even under carpet). The rationale seems to be that loose wires could chaff and eventually cause a fire. Not sure I entirely agree but i was allowed to rectify this at the time.

Loose wiring in the boot - again I had put the wires into conduits but they themslves needed to be secured to the car. Rectified at site (duck tape)

Rear brake pipes not protected in location - was rather surprised at this. Related to the metal pipes as they ran along the (Granada) suspension arms. I hadn't touched them and assumed the metal clips holding them were Ford's original fittings. SVA man said danger of corrosion as these were replacement copper pipes and not steel as Ford fitted - therefore a danger of electrolytic corrosion. I was allowed to rectify at site with duck tape although I have now used split rubber hosing.

I had aproblem with emmissions (which had only been sorted out two days before) caused by a stuck idle screw. Able to apply enough pressure to the throttle linkage (and to adjust a mixture screw) to get the revs down and hydrocarbons within limits. Much assistance from SVA man!

Speedo (ETB electronic) would not give a steady reading above 65mph - several attempts at adjusting the mounting bracket and gap at the test centre but to no avail. My fault for attempting too fancy a design of bracket (to allow for adjustment of the sensor gap). That job was the only thing subject to a retest and a proper bracket sorted out the problem.

I was worried about all sorts of things when I went for the test - radius edges on lights. no cowling on steering column, would wipers be good enough and would they query the figures on my form re max speed etc. The reality appears to be that the tester forms aview as to whether the car has been built with attention to potential hazards - he will look at whether wiring and pipes etc are neatly and properly secured (Eg, engine bay and underneath). We are all aware of the need to secure brake pipes at 300mm intervals but I thought I'd gone OTT with my cable ties holding down heater pipes and sensor wires but it seemed to create the impression that I'd identified and addressed risks. That must have affected the tester's approach to the car.

One other thing is that they never got out any radius gauges or cones at all - thatwas all done by feel.

At the test centre yesterday, another mate was putting his Viper through. Lovely quality build but a few last minute problems had cropped up so he hadn't finished until 2 am. The minor fails for him were a poorly performing handbrake on one wheel, a mounting nut for his rear bumper which did not have 2 threads poking through, indictors not working and temperamental brake test light (both of which decided to play up on the way to the SVA).

I think the best way to approach the test is to treat it as a two part test and expect to fail on something, usually the things you least expect

PS for what it's worth there wa no comment about my steering wheel bracket at all. However it does highlight yet another issue in that Pilgrim seem to be aware of potential defects but do nothing to either warn us builders or to change their stock. Rather stupid in my opinion as it just causes bad feeling.
    Cobra not quite as shiny as my head

Hi,

I have just spoken to one of the guy"s at Pilgrim on the reverse taper problem.
    They are aware of this and a decision has been made by SVA that no bush is needed just reverse the taper as per the book.At least 2 threads showing as usual.
    Several cars have been passed at their test centre.

Hope this is of use.
    Steve.
    Cheers

Steve
    When will it ever be finished??!
    Hopefully better luck 2nd time round!!!!!!
    Or now the 4th time round......!!

That is a great relief!!

Hi Guys,

My fail sheet:

1) Steering column anchorage not strong enough
    2) Passengers side lower dash radius not padded enough
    3) Wiring behind dash needs clipping a bit better
    4) Wire propping open heater flap so no air coming through windscreen vents
    5) Reverse taper on track rod end
    6) Top ball joint nut not on 2 threads past nyloc
    7) Brake pipe requiring one more clip above diff
    1 HT lead too close to exhaust manifold
    9) Wiring inside boot not secure enough
    10) Wiring to front lights needs securing a bit more
    11) Alternator charging wire not thick enough
    12) Rear reflectors radius not 2.5mm
    13) Hazard warning lights go off when main headlights are switched on
    14) Another wire under the bonnet needs some more clipping
    15) Speedo was inoperable, (sensor probs I think)
    AND THE KILLER!!!!!!!!!
    16) the seadbelt bracket, the bit that is actually part of the seatbelt and bolts to the top of the car under the roll bar does not have a 2.5mm radius on it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and also the plactic cap that covers the bolt again radius problems!!!!!!!!
    17) also on the subject of seatbelts, when fastened, they dont retract quick enough

I hope this list is of help to you guys, any questions dont hesitate in asking
    Regards
    Garry

Bl00dy hell. I wan't that worried till i saw that list.....

Back to the garage with a fine tooth comb for me. (By the way, where the hell do you get a tooth comb?)
    Adrian - 350 SBC/RPM, 3550 TKO, 3.54PL, 2005 GD Jag, stopped counting at £28.5k.
    Status: J224 must have developed a fuel leak as my tank appears to be permanantly empty

I must admit, the man with the rubber gloves was very gentle!

Oh yeh forgot to mention, brake pedal was spongy too! :angry:

Garry

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast