Thread: E-Mails

E-Mails

Is there a quick and simple way to transfer my e-mails onto cd, i know i can open each one and save that way but with over 2000 e-mails on my hard drive i'd rather do it a bit quicker. They are saved into various folders if thats any help. I'm working through outlook 6 and windows 98 :thumb:
    BIG TONE

Mercedes SL owner, definitely NOT a kitcar owner like you lot!

Re: E-Mails

If its Outlook, you can archive the e-mails off into an archive file. You can then place this archive file onto CD.

So how do i archive the files? i looked under help and followed the instructions (i think)

To back up the folder, find the folder file, and then copy it to a backup folder, floppy disk, or network drive. Outlook Express e-mail folders have a .dbx extension (for example, "Sent Items.dbx").

i looked under finf to find the folder with the correct name and a dbx extension and copied that folder. when i try to open it it asks me which program to open it with so i assume i'm doing something wrong and knowing me its a simple operation that i'm doing wrong, so i'm still no wiser, help please
    BIG TONE

You shouldn't need to open the .dbs files. As you have done correctly, you've found the folder with the .dbs files in it. You just need to copy this to the CD. Most CD burning programs allow you to "drag and drop" files into the CD project. You can drag straight from the "Find" window to the CD burning program. Make sure you don't double click anything, though...

Let us know what CD burning software you are using if you have any further problems
    Reverend Robin
    GD427 Euro

He who dies with the most tools wins

Ok, I'm lost now. Let me start again, i have succesfully saved a copy of the file onto disc as described above, but when i try to open that file to access any of the e-mails it will not let me, it brings up a box asking which program should i open with. Ii cannot open the file to retrieve any of th e-mails
    BIG TONE

Ah, I see the problem...

Backing up the e-mails in the fashion described above gives you an archive which you can restore to your machine (or another machine) if your hard disk crashes and you lose everything. As far as I am aware, you can't open the files directly and read them. You should continue to only access the files by reading your e-mail through Outlook as before and keep the CD as an emergency reserve that you should never need.

If you have deleted them to save space on the disk, then that is another matter. There is probably software out there that can be used to view archives, but seeing as I don't use Outlook, then I'm not sure.

I keep all my mail backed up on Gmail (http://gmail.google.com) which gives you currently 2110mb of e-mail storage (I've got 2007 e-mails stored which is using 7% of that). The advantage is that I can access all my old e-mails from any computer with an internet connection.
    Reverend Robin
    GD427 Euro

He who dies with the most tools wins

Quote Originally Posted by tonym
    So how do i archive the files? i looked under help and followed the instructions (i think)

To back up the folder, find the folder file, and then copy it to a backup folder, floppy disk, or network drive. Outlook Express e-mail folders have a .dbx extension (for example, "Sent Items.dbx").

i looked under finf to find the folder with the correct name and a dbx extension and copied that folder. when i try to open it it asks me which program to open it with so i assume i'm doing something wrong and knowing me its a simple operation that i'm doing wrong, so i'm still no wiser, help please
    There is a good site here that discusses backup up e-mail (and more importantly restoring your e-mail from a backup).

http://www.sitedeveloper.ws/tutorials/outlook.htm

I use Microsoft Outlook 2003 (which is part of Microsoft Office). It's much more heavyweight that Outlook Express. We moved to Outlook 2003 when we found we lost e-mails in Outlook Express. If you can use Outlook over Outlook Express I would recommend it. The archiving feature alone is worth it for storing e-mails.

Cant you use the import and export wizard in outlook?

If you select the file dropdown menu there is usually an import and export option in there.
    I think you can create a PST file and select which folders you want to save. Then to open them again you need to do the same but import the PST file back in to outlook.

Craig.

Built a Dax once, Long time ago, painted it blue, original huh...?

http://www.cobraclub.com/gallery/showgallery.php/ppuser/714/username/craggle

.pst files are Outlook, not Outlook Express.

Do'h Should have read that a bit harder

I am on Outlook 2002 from office XP.

Craig.

Built a Dax once, Long time ago, painted it blue, original huh...?

http://www.cobraclub.com/gallery/showgallery.php/ppuser/714/username/craggle