Worst Journey Home...

Just to say thanks to the ladies in the tent at Stoneleigh for fixing me up with water to 'top-up' my header tank. Top-up? 'fraid not.

What happened next? We had to leave at 3.00 p.m. to be back North for 6. At Donnington Park Services, whilst filling fuel, a guy tapped me on the shoulder and said " Nice car mate, did you know it's p***ing fluid out at the front?"

130 miles still to go and the M'em Sahib not amused. I diagnosed a huge hole in the rad, so a bottle of rad-weld and re-fill of the system with coolant and off we went, stopping at every services on the way. Just before Leeds, the head gasket blew, back-pressure forcing what little coolant there was from the overflow.

How we made it to Catterick (15 miles still to go) I don't know, but we did, before the Ford 302 groaned 'enough'.

Never been more glad of my Brittania breakdown cover!!:angel: Guy was there in half an hour and had us home in 1. G & T by 9.00 p.m.

Car now booked in for a top-end sort and rad-mend. Bummer.

Enjoyed the show though.:thumb:

Seniorsnake.

Re: Worst Journey Home...

hi
    if you get problems with a holed rad again remember to remove the rad cap and it'll preserve what water you do have for longer ....no pressure to build up and help it pee from watever hole/es you have the cap only serves to increase the boiling point(*) but if you've got no WATER it'll boil quicker won't it!!
    (*) this is really only valid when you're stationary in traffic say and waiting to move off before it cooks on a redicullously hot day.
    ' hope this helps anyone else in a similar situation in the future'
    (any radweld or whatever you do then put in also has a better chance of staying in!!)remember to flush that gunk out before you get a new rad too as it plays havock with heater matrixes...
    NEIL