Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Charging the Digi Camera at Le Mans

I want to use the digi camera at Le Mans and we have a portable hard drive to dump data from memory cards so loads of capacity. However, i have just thought of a problem - how am I going to recharge the batteries?

Anyone know if there are any gadgets / gizmo's that you can buy to get around this?
    Brian
    2003 - DB Replicas Dax-No 54
    2009 - Interior and Exterior Period Re-style
    2010 - Engine upgrade 400ci Dart Block SBC 502lbs-ft 502bhp
    2013 - Cobra Sold
    2013 - Replaced with another TVR - Griffith 500 SE Number 35 of the last 100 Special Edition Cars

Re: Charging the Digi Camera at Le Mans

is that the batteries on the camera or the hard drive? Get a cigarette lighter car charger - but which one depends on your battery voltage and amps (capacity) and then you'll need the special connector...not easy...sounds like a manufacturer specific item...

The best thing to get is a power invertor, plug into fag lighter or connect direct to battery and it converts 12v to 240v and you use your normal charger. You can get them from electrical shops, maybe Argos and I use one all the time to power chargers, laptops etc in my car, got mine from Maplin, cheers, Simon

Ragley Guest

Hi Brian

How do you normally charge your digicam batteries. Do you have a cigarette lighter charger, or do you have a domestic 13 Amp plug charger? If it's a 13 Amp job, you can buy a 12V DC to 220V AC converter that plugs into a vehicles cigarette lighter off Ebay (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...77537626&rd=1). If this link doesn't work, type the following number into Ebays search box (5777537626) Cobs are not known for having cig. lighters, but I'm sure a bit of rewiring wouldn't be difficult. By the way, I'm in Tech sales, and I use a converter every day to run my laptop from when on the road.

Dave R

Hi Brian,

Try Maplin (prices from 40)
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...=36316&doy=2m6

Paul
    Paul

DB Replicas build 98 - Dax De Dion
    383 stroker with 408 to 585 bhp (it depends on the dyno used )

Quote Originally Posted by wilburn
    Hi Brian,

Try Maplin (prices from 40)
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...=36316&doy=2m6

Paul

Paul, I was just looking at the one for 29.99. I think this will be OK..

Simon, is this the same as you have. How big are they? I do not have a lighter - can they all connect straight to the battery or do you need a specific type?

Sorry for all the silly questions.
    Cheers
    Brian
    2013 - Cobra Sold
    2013 - Replaced with another TVR - Griffith 500 SE Number 35 of the last 100 Special Edition Cars

Quote Originally Posted by Ragley
    Hi Brian

How do you normally charge your digicam batteries. Do you have a cigarette lighter charger, or do you have a domestic 13 Amp plug charger? If it's a 13 Amp job, you can buy a 12V DC to 220V AC converter that plugs into a vehicles cigarette lighter off Ebay (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...77537626&rd=1). If this link doesn't work, type the following number into Ebays search box (5777537626) Cobs are not known for having cig. lighters, but I'm sure a bit of rewiring wouldn't be difficult. By the way, I'm in Tech sales, and I use a converter every day to run my laptop from when on the road.

Dave R

Hi Dave,
    I charge them using a 13 amp plug charger and I dont have a lighter in the Cob. Ideally, I would like something that connects direct to the battery in the boot. Can you plug yours direct to the battery?

Cheers
    Brian
    2013 - Cobra Sold

Brian,

I bought my inverter of ebay for 15 it has a plug for cigarette lighter and a plug with crocodile clips.

Steve
    Ford 427ci powerd AK

I have an "accessory socket" (ie lighter socket that's not suitable for a lighter) in the front of the car, under the dash on the wiper motor cover plate. It has it's own fused permanent supply.
    Last weekend I used this for the inverter, which powered the laptop etc.

I've also fitted one in the boot, which is controlled by a switch on the dash - the GD is pre-wired for the hardtop heated rear window and this was an ideal use for the circuit.
    Last weekend I used this for the torch charger.

Maplin often have the small 150W inverter on offer for about 20.

If you have a boot mounted battery, just connect the socket to the battery via a fuse (usually 15A maximum).
    Many sockets are supplied with a mounting bracket. I've fixed mine to one of the rear nudge bar mounting bolts.

Some inverters are supplied with a socket connected to a pair of crocodile clips, for when you don't have a socket in the car.
    The larger inverters (over 400W) are usually supplied with a set of chunky croc. clip leads only, due to the high current they can draw. You don't need anything that big though - a 150W unit will be more than enough.

Just a hint - you may find that any adaptor, laptop power supply etc, will make more audible noise when run from an inverter. This is normal - the output of many small inverters is a square-wave rather than a sine-wave.

Simon.
    GD427 Euro, 350 Chevy, Tremec 3550
    MSD, Megasquirt Fuel Injection (TBI)

Ragley Guest

Hi Brian

I think Simon has said it all, and given good advice that you can work with. The items on Ebay, only one of which I linked to, have both cig lighter and croc clips, so the choice of Wattage, Price, and Type is over to you.

Dave R

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast