Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Chevvy engine identification.

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 28-Jan-01 AT 10:38 PM (GMT)[/font][p][font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 28-Jan-01 AT 10:37 PM (GMT)[/font]

I have a Chevvy 350, 2 bolt main with what I believe are original cast iron heads. The heads have 76cc chambers with standard size valves. Induction=1.94" Exhaust=1.50" The numbers on the block are as follows.
    TO917CMC and 14N112426. I want to know the year of the engine for S.V.A. reasons, and also have some idea what it came out of, ie, car, truck etc. It was coupled up to a G.M 3 speed manual gearbox. Can anyone help?

David

RE: Chevvy engine identification.

David,

check out http://www.chevymania.com/casting/index.htm where you can find a bunch of information related to Chevy-engines

cheers Jens

Thanks for the info Jens. I looked up the website and I now know what I have got but I still dont know the manufactoring date. I did e-mail the chap but as yet recieved no reply. I may have another go. Meanwhile, if anyone has more info, please let me know.

David

You need the cylinder block number, not the heads. The Cylinder block number will be located on the bellhousing flange at the rear of the block and will be a number, with no letters.

Also the numbers listed for the cylinder heads do not appear in the Chevy casting numbers book.

Best Regards

Rob
    Best Regards

Robert

Crossed over for a while - Overlanding - Some people are just like slinkies, they don't really have a purpose but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 08-Feb-01 AT 07:34 PM (GMT)[/font][p]
    Just a recap on my engine. The casting number is 3970014 which dates the engine between 1969 and 1976. The other numbers I mentioned, are stamped on the front of the block on the right hand side when viewed from the rear, just below where the head is located. One of these numbers will tell me the year of manufacture and also, so I am told, the original horse power of the engine. Incidently, somemore info I forgot to include was that the engine was coupled up to a 3 speed manual GM gearbox. Also the casting numbers on the heads are 333882.
    I have looked in numerous Chevy engine books, but to no avail. I still need help with dating this engine as I don't know where else to look.

David

imported_admin Guest

David,

in my book, your block is dated 69-76 from a 350 cid passenger car, but the heads are from a 400 cid dated 70-76. These are low performance heads -- I doubt that any casting numbers will tell you the horsepower because this depends on a number of factors.

I beleive original inlet manifold shows a code for the day/month/year of manufacture (of the manifold, that is) if you still have it.

Pete.

imported_admin Guest

That Chevymania website has plenty of omissions & I'm trying to find what this block no. relates to...
    GM 10051184 - it is supposed to be a Bowtie racing 400ci type block ; there is also another no. on it "183" - anyone help with what this is & year..?? (The chevymania site says it was for a 350 block only, but I know from seeing the no. many times on the GM goodwrench site that was a 400 type bore...)

There are so many combinations of block, crankshaft, heads, etc, that it is easy to get confused. Your crankshaft may be the determinating factor as to what displacement your engine has, as well as the possibility of someone else over boring the cylinders. (Although this is very unlikely!) I have recently found out, although I did have my suspisions, that I was given the wrong heads for my engine, which would have a detrimental effect on my final horsepower.
    Try giving Real Steel a ring, I have found them quite helpfull in the past.

David

Great site called www.yearone.com will tell you just about everything you need to Know to id your engine so that you know where you stand re SVA. Also purchase a copy of SVA regs from vehicle inspectorate BEFORE BUYING YOUR ENGINE!!! Best of luck at the SVA test chapsand keep the exhaust quiet! Graham
    Graham (SRV
    Driver Safety and Information Systems
    Herts

The casting mark on the drivers side flange will tell you what year it is made. It will read some thing like this:

F 1 6 2

The letter stands for the month of the year it was built ie June.

The next numbers refer to the date of the month that it was built , ie 16 (june)

The last letter refers to the year of the decade it was built.

My casting nuber is 3970010. The made these from 1969 - 79. Therfore my block was made on June 16 1972. If in this example, it ends in '9', then you have a problem, but other than that it is decipherable (sp). There is a web site which explains all this better than chevymania, if I find it I will post it!

Rig.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast