Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What Tyres & Where?

Hello,

I have a Cobra on 15" wheels. I currently have some B F Goodrich on the rear 235 / 60 R15 which are now worn out... whoops!! And on the front I have some kind of real nasty jap crap which needs changing. The front are 215 / 60 R15's.

Does anybody have any good set up ideas to give more handeling? i.e. are these the best sizes? What would be the best make to go for? Wheres the cheapest place ( I live in high wycombe if that helps)?

Thanks in advance

Chris

Re: What Tyres & Where?

Smashy has gone into the tyre game, drop him a line

www.cobraclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12965&highlight=tyres
    Gary

Hi,

Try A.D.D TYRES & EXHAUSTS 01420 478810, just got a new set of B.F Goodrich (front) 235 and (rear) 255. Really good price and great service.

John.

Ps, This is for my FIA, but he can get different sizes

smash Guest

Watch out for Goodrich Radial T/As, they're only speed rated to 102mph and aren't sticky, the Comp T/A's however are rated to 168mph and have plenty of grip but still with traditional Goodrich side wall look - unfortunately they stopped making them a couple of years ago so it's new old stock only. Try finding a 60 profile 15" Z rated tyre in the UK

Correct, but they are rated to 113mph, not 102mph. Also if you want to pass the SVA like me you would not with Comp T/A, etc. Also if the police see Comp tyres on the road, is it not 3 points per tyre?. Anyway, just a thought.

John.

Ps, good point about the speed rating!!

Chris,

You can still buy pirelli P600/P6000 in these sizes with 168mph speed ratings.
    David

SR full rebuild, now on the road, needs trim to finish
    TWM EFI 388ci 550hp/520tq
    Power steering fitted.

smash Guest

Don't understand the SVA and police comments?? These are european road tyres

Yeah. forgot about Pirellis, nice tyre but expensive and more importantly for me, don't have the classic clean sidewall look I wanted.

Hi
    I Don't muck about when it comes to tyres Pirelli p6000 for me
    Graham:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
    Nature has one eternal grin Cobra drivers have two:drive:

I'm 99% that the rating means for continuous 112mph, so average UK use is hardly going to bother them, I'm sure squirting up to speeds above that is not going to be a problem, unless you're holding a higher speed for a sustained period (not too likely unless you're a traffic cop 'familiarising himself with his high performance vehicle', and your missus's dad is an oil sheik..)

The Comp T/A's are street legal, I think comp just being a marketing term to glamourise a higher spec tyre, and not to be confused with proper competition tyres which are not DOT marked , but are marked 'not for highway use'.

I think the T/A's look great on 15" wheels, very period, and I'm grateful to hawk for the A.d.D info, for when mine wear thin.

Cheers!

Steve:thumb:
    Regards Steve

Crendon #22

452cu FE with top loader

Yep, just checked Smash and Steve are correct, teach me for not checking they are not "Comp" tyres, just as you say "marketing". Also what is interesting Dave at A.D.D spent a long time to find the tyres and he found one vendor who could supply. Also I hear a rumor that a certain formula 1 tyre provider may soon start 15" 60 235 and 255 tyres (non 4x4).

John.

Ps, you are right they look the business!!!.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast