Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Swindon, Wiltshire, England.
    Posts
    1,851

    I think Summit may have Stuffed me one!

    Of course I cant prove this or they may have made an honest mistake but having ordered a 28oz FMS balancer I now discover its actually a 50oz balancer! Still every cloud has a silver do dah, my crank was so bad (that will teach me to buy a cheap CAT crank) its had to be balanced to 50oz anyway, a 28oz balance was out of the question/would have cost the earth!

    So I think Ive got away with a new flywheel weight and a couple of slugs in the crank. Still a few more than I counted on.

    My balancer said it isnt the first time hes heard of stuff imported from the US not being what it says on the tin, I should have guessed when I found the box open upon delivery.

    Hey Ho.
    Andy

    Ford 302 336 BHP 331 ft/lb's , GD JAG249 rolling!!
    Engine started August 2011.
    1st Daughter slows progress!

    www.andysgd427.blogspot.com

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    kent
    Posts
    3,019

    Re: I think Summit may have Stuffed me one!

    Andy,
    Ford did change the cranks to 50oz balance about 1982.maybe that has something to do with it.
    Gareth

    Seriously modified Sumo with a Ford 363. SOLD. Now building a Mercury Cyclone Spoiler.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Swindon, Wiltshire, England.
    Posts
    1,851

    Re: I think Summit may have Stuffed me one!

    Hi Gareth,

    I know about the balance change and thats why I believe my crank was actually a 50oz even though it was stated to cover 68-95 year. However FMS do 2 different balancers, ones a 28oz and the other is 50oz, they look the same and have the same part number apart from the last 4 characters. Thats why Im wondering if theyve gotten mixed up somewhere, may be at FMS or at Summit (box was open when I received it).

    Ayway as I said its all worked out OK, just cost me 100+ to sort out!

    Cheers
    Andy

    Ford 302 336 BHP 331 ft/lb's , GD JAG249 rolling!!
    Engine started August 2011.
    1st Daughter slows progress!

    www.andysgd427.blogspot.com

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    High Wycombe, Bucks, UK.
    Posts
    3,419

    Re: I think Summit may have Stuffed me one!

    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Roe
    Hi Gareth,

    I know about the balance change and thats why I believe my crank was actually a 50oz even though it was stated to cover 68-95 year. However FMS do 2 different balancers, ones a 28oz and the other is 50oz, they look the same and have the same part number apart from the last 4 characters. Thats why Im wondering if theyve gotten mixed up somewhere, may be at FMS or at Summit (box was open when I received it).

    Ayway as I said its all worked out OK, just cost me 100+ to sort out!

    Cheers
    Andy welcome to the myths of BHP which so many on this site talk about but cant substantiate including moderators Balancing is the most important factor re tune and power in my opinion whatever engine, just goes to prove all that glistens is not gold! We have people claiming 300 BHP with a midley tuned 3:5 AK, say no more Osgood

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    East Sussex
    Age
    68
    Posts
    15,858

    Re: I think Summit may have Stuffed me one!

    Quote Originally Posted by osgood
    Andy welcome to the myths of BHP which so many on this site talk about but cant substantiate including moderators Balancing is the most important factor re tune and power in my opinion whatever engine, just goes to prove all that glistens is not gold! We have people claiming 300 BHP with a midley tuned 3:5 AK, say no more Osgood
    Ah Osbad. Weekly wind up time again is it? Fact Time. 2 moderators have AK's FACT! Neither are 3.5 ltr FACT. Neither (to my knowledge) have claimed 300bhp FACT! Get your fact's right Chap And Finally, What has this got to do with Crank Balance
    Chris
    Ex AK427 351Cleveland T5WC

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    here and there
    Posts
    4,273

    Re: I think Summit may have Stuffed me one!

    Quote Originally Posted by Purple AK
    Ah Osbad. Weekly wind up time again is it? Fact Time. 2 moderators have AK's FACT! Neither are 3.5 ltr FACT. Neither (to my knowledge) have claimed 300bhp FACT! Get your fact's right Chap And Finally, What has this got to do with Crank Balance
    Eric`s probably just feeling a little "cranky" today
    There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
    You don`t have to be mental to build a kitcar - but it definitely helps.

    GD JAG mk4 finally on the road (but not quite finished)
    Currently got more hp than talent.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    East Sussex
    Age
    68
    Posts
    15,858

    Re: I think Summit may have Stuffed me one!

    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Paul
    Eric`s probably just feeling a little "cranky" today
    Probably
    Chris
    Ex AK427 351Cleveland T5WC

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    East Leake, Nottinghamshire, England.
    Age
    55
    Posts
    9,550

    Re: I think Summit may have Stuffed me one!

    Cranky or just cracked :finger:

    Think he is just really pissed off after building yet another engine with crap figures on the Dyno :whatever: Torque is where it is at mate with these American engines making an engine that revs is OK for the track but for road use perhaps you can get it right next time mate :angel:
    Martin

    351W 416.7 HP and 466.8 ft-lbs

    Running Mega Squirt and Edis 8


  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Shanghai, China
    Age
    61
    Posts
    1,139

    Re: I think Summit may have Stuffed me one!

    Andy I also have experience of Summit suplying stuff incorrectly. Having said that, I have always found their people on the technical help line very supportive and once a mistake has been identified they have worked hard to rectify.
    Regards
    Nigel B

    Unique Autocraft Python
    Chevy 350 ZZ4 TR3550
    Ex UK, Germany, Japan, UK and now back in Germany once again!!

    1972 Ford Mustang Mach 1 Cobra Jet
    351 Cleveland with 4 speed hurst shifter
    USA

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    High Wycombe, Bucks, UK.
    Posts
    3,419

    Re: I think Summit may have Stuffed me one!

    Quote Originally Posted by Purple AK
    Ah Osbad. Weekly wind up time again is it? Fact Time. 2 moderators have AK's FACT! Neither are 3.5 ltr FACT. Neither (to my knowledge) have claimed 300bhp FACT! Get your fact's right Chap And Finally, What has this got to do with Crank Balance
    WHoooooo bit touchy Chris ain't we, don't recall mentioning moderators Anyway Widow Cranky is frying again tonight And finally as they say on the news, nothing really Chris. Sogood :angel:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Summit ignition box
    By Andy302 in forum General Tech Tips & Questions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 21-04-07, 04:48 AM
  2. summit order
    By keane in forum General Tech Tips & Questions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-01-07, 07:53 PM
  3. Summit Deals
    By mikey in forum General Tech Tips & Questions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-11-05, 07:12 AM
  4. Summit
    By tonym in forum General Cobra Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-10-04, 10:15 AM
  5. Jegs or Summit
    By richardd in forum General Tech Tips & Questions
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 30-07-04, 04:10 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •