What needs doing before painting?

Hi chaps, about to book my car in for painting and just wanted to sanity check what jobs need to be finished before it goes in.

Body's fixed down and I've got (almost) all the necessary holes cut in it, the flashlines are all sanded smooth and the doors, boot, bonnet and windscreen etc have been hung/fitted.

Anything else I need to do? Do I need to glass the rear arches in now or can that be left until later?
    Finished the car, but not the website!...
    http://www.sumobuild.co.uk

Re: What needs doing before painting?

If I were you I would wait until you passed the SVA test. Then if you want to remove any of the SVA friendly components (Wing mirrors, lights etc) you will not damage any paintwork.
    Cheers, Clive
    Cheers, Clive

(If I'm not here, I'm either in my new workshop or on the golf course!)

IMO you need to trial fit everything.Lights, screen, all the trim plates etc:
    Also I would do all the fibreglass work except the front wheel arches. After the SVA get a good few miles on the beast before you fit these in case you need easy access to anything.
    There are not many things that you remove after the SVA although mirrors are one thing you will need to change.
    Rather the reverse, you can finish dressing the car after SVA with all the things you left off. If you don't need it for SVA don't fit it.
    Nudge bars, stone guards, side vent trims, side pipe covers, wind wings, all spring to mind.
    When doing fibreglass work it is all to easy to put a gloved hand covered in resin on your paintwork.
    Do drill all necessary holes so you just have to bolt things on, you don't want to be slipping with the drill.
    When you refit the screen, screw the demister vents on first, a lot easier. Have you drilled the holes for the interior mirror. Difficult with the screen in place.
    I take it that you have trial fitted door/bonnet/boot locks and done all the glass work on the inner sills and made sure the rubber trims fit OK? Seat belts top mounting done? I had difficulty with the door seals , glad I did all this before painting.
    I removed the doors/boot lid and bonnet before I took it to be painted, much easier for them to make a decent job. make sure you keep a good record of what washers/spacers etc: are used to fit each door, this minimises the chance of damage upon reassembly.
    I had my roll bar bolted in place as its a sod to fit with the body on, but taped the escutcheon plates up in the middle out of the way.
    Hope this helps
    Keith S
    Built a Sumo 3 RV8 Sold it to buy a 2000 Chimaera 4.5

I've trial fitted just about everything you've mentioned, there are a couple of bits like bonnet locks that should arrive by the weekend to be fitted. I haven't glassed the rear arches or inner sills. I take your point about leaning on the new paintwork with a resin-covered glove <eek!>. Looks like I'll need to hang fire on painting then until that's done.
    Finished the car, but not the website!...
    http://www.sumobuild.co.uk

Bonnet locks are special for SVA, they are in the Pilgrim SVA kit, they fit exactly the same though
    Keith S
    Built a Sumo 3 RV8 Sold it to buy a 2000 Chimaera 4.5