Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hawk vented disc identity

Anyone know what the Hawk vented front disc is off?
    The ones that came with the car are warped badly (not good for 4500 miles, probably poor qulity discs?)
    Ive stripped mine out, and looked and my guess is a Peugeot 505 turbo vented disc, as the following measurement are the same:
    OD 273mm
    Disc thickness 21mm
    Hub bore 76mm
    Overall disc height 43mm
    Offset 23mm
    There is an adapter disc to reduce the hub bore to suit the MGB hub, and the only dimension I need to confirm is the 4 bolt disc mounting holes pcd, which I make out at just a shade over 3.850" maybe 100mm?
    The 4 pot calipers take Austin Princess pads, so thats that bit sorted, the green EBC have been lobbed.
    I did ring Hawk but Gerry is away and nobdoy else knew (or wanted to tell me)
    Regards Steve

Crendon #22

452cu FE with top loader

Re: Hawk vented disc identity

Hi Steve, try posting on the 289 Register, I'm sure someone there will know.
    Cheers, Clive

(If I'm not here, I'm either in my new workshop or on the golf course!)

Steve. If it is 4 on 100mm pcd it won't be Peugeot as they are 108mm. 4 on 100 is normally German, Rover 2/400 or small Far Eastern stuff. The following might help to narrow it down :thumb: http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/a1autos/technical.htm
    Chris
    Ex AK427 351Cleveland T5WC

Could well be worth a call to EBC (or EBC Direct who are a distributor). Their discs are good quality, www.ebcbrakes.com
    Crendon has left the building................bright yellow Stag has landed.

Cheers chaps appreciate it have posted on 289 register (cheers Clive) will take a look at th elink (cheers Chris, and call EBC (cheers Wilf)

What helpful chaps you are all!!

Itd be nice to have judder free brakes that work well for spring!!!
    Regards Steve

Crendon #22

452cu FE with top loader

Quote Originally Posted by Clive View Post
    Hi Steve, try posting on the 289 Register, I'm sure someone there will know.
    Steve, if you go to "A guide to buying a Cobra 289 replica" on the 289 register and look at section 5 regarding front suspension and brake upgrades, it give a fair bit about the set-up and mods. :thumb:
    Cheers, Clive

Steve,

I hope the old girl is OK, have a look at http://www.v8register.net/subpages/V8NOTE355.htm. I think you are correct 505 disc's

John.

Hi John,

Yep car's doing fine; got it up in the air on axle stands cleaning up the underneath, touching up the suspension where its got chipped etc got new std pads for all round, cleaning up the calipers, and just sorting some new discs; thanks for the link, Pug 505turbo discs will fit according to the link although need redrilling, so my measurements were OK!
    The discs that are on the car have not been redrilled, I'm intrigued as what they came off; will ring Hawk this week and try and find out (or buy from them if they have better quality ones).

Bloody cold in th garage today, Ive now given up and come in to get warm!!
    Regards Steve

Crendon #22

452cu FE with top loader

Hi Clive
    Yes been on that part of the 289 site, to be fair I'm quite a way ahead of that article in terms of actual information, what fits from what donor etc. Good site though.
    I also have some very good info from Dave Pilbeam-my car has an axle which he built with kevlar 'leafs' and coil overs with a panhard rod, and his rear disc kit on it which uses granada discs (redrilled pcd) and granada calipers with integral handbrake using the screw out piston system and gives a lot better handbrake than the Jag IRS one.
    My car has the Hawk front tubular suspension, and I think the Hawk vented disc conversion,which has Austin Princess (yuk what a horrible car that was!!) derived AP Lockheed 4 pot calipers, with discs that look to be an aftermarket interpretation of a Pug 505Turbo pattern but with MGB pcd, and a reducing ring to keep the slightly larger bore Peugeot discs concentric to the MGB wire wheel hub.
    Interestingly, when you compare the std material Princess pads to the EBC greens I took off, the EBCs are very heavily chamfered on the leading and trailing faces as std whereas the std pads are not, Ive just done a rough calculation, and the EBC's have just over 30% less pad area in contact than std pads due to the chamfering.
    The EBC green pads are very, very, very hard, and I think EBC have reduced the pad area to try to keep pedal feel similar to std pads, and to speed up pad warm up; Im hoping the std pads will be more usable and less wooden for a street car (time will tell!!).
    Regards Steve

Crendon #22

452cu FE with top loader

Hi Steve
    I see you contacted GH and that you are swithering about what route to take. I would be interested to hear which option you choose. I remember having to drill the bolt holes in my discs to make them fit. Not a major problem.:thumb:
    Cheers, Clive

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast