Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

The saga of my badly performing RV8 and PILGRIM!!

Ever since I bought my cob 18 months ago I've not been happy with the 3.5 RV8 lump in it. After many posts on this site I ended up rebuilding the motor with V8 Development stage 3 heads. I also spent many, many hours fiddling with the cam, dizzy, and carb, none of which many much difference.

Today I spoke to Chris at Custom Chrome as I now thought it must be the headers that causing the problem. Chris would not even sell me the bits I needed once I told him that I've got Pilgrim sidepipes fitted. He told me to pull out the baffles and sort them out first.

I know that others have mentioned the Pilgrim baffles before but bloody hell, I could not believe what I found. Maybe pilgrim want to get their pipes though the SVA but surely they could have just tack welded a restriction inside or even as part of their SVA kit made something that you stuff down the pipe. They reckon that the pipes can also be used on a 350 lump. I wonder how many are overheating due to Pilgrims crappy pipes. (Oh, whilst I'm moaning, the bolts they tack weld on as mounting points fall off!)

Anyone want to make a guess that the BHP that I've been missing!

Regards,

Pete
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Sidecarbod; 03-12-07 at 05:06 PM.

OK I'll bite - 30 - 40 bhp ?
    Do one good thing a day - strangle a tree hugger...

Re: The saga of my badly performing RV8 and PILGRIM!!

Blimey Pete and there's me complaining about Dax exhausts. With that restriction you must be losing 25% at least. Are you going to replace the 'mangled' inner pipes with straight through ones? Wonder what it'll sound like after that!

Cheers
    Nick

Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.

Does anyone know if that is how they are supplied by pilgrim or whether someone did that to them before Pete bought it?
    BIG TONE

Mercedes SL owner, definitely NOT a kitcar owner like you lot!

Oh my god!

Thats going to be the best mod you have done this year M8!!

Give Shinybitz call he will sort something out for you.
    David

SR full rebuild, now on the road, needs trim to finish
    TWM EFI 388ci 550hp/520tq
    Power steering fitted.

I also reckon that they must be costing 30 to 40 BHP.

I believe that it is pilgrim that squash the pipe as that what Chris at Custom Chrome said they did.

I will talk to Chris today and hopefully buy some straight through perferated tube and fibre glass wodding. He reckons that the spiral type tube is very good.

Not too sure what its going to sound like after the mods, it was quite loud anyway

Regards,

Pete

I was going to post some stuff about this.

I have just replaced the complete system on a sumo for a customer.
    The rear boxes were completely stuffed last year and were removed. I cut one open to find the perforation squashed as in photo's above. The car ran for last year with just the front boxes but the started to suffer the same problem. So we have now replaced the entire system with a straight through system.
    The car is auto and does short journey's, so the silencers became stuffed with rust and soot.
    Pilgrim headers are completely wrong far an engine as far as gas flow goes. the end ports point straight at each other and will create back pressure choking the engine.
    I also noticed that several of the welds were very poor and had started to fail.
    Note this car has probably done no more than 2000 miles.

Pic of one of the new pipes attached. I will get some pics of the old bits soon.

Andy
    Attached Images Attached Images
    A S motorsport Ltd. 01379 688356 mob; 07909531816 web; asmotorsport.co.uk email \"andrewsoar@yahoo.com\"

Pete

Those baffles are exactly as supplied by Pilgrim with the intent that the gasses have to divert through the wadding in the centre section and thus reduce the noise.

I have been running for over 17,000 miles with them and the noise is quite acceptable.

However, I would be very interested to see what you come up with and whether they could be fitted inside the Pilgrim sidepipes because I am convinced the amount of power being lost must be considerable.

Please keep us informed.

Cheers

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by dinosoar
    I was going to post some stuff about this.

I have just replaced the complete system on a sumo for a customer.
    The rear boxes were completely stuffed last year and were removed. I cut one open to find the perforation squashed as in photo's above. The car ran for last year with just the front boxes but the started to suffer the same problem. So we have now replaced the entire system with a straight through system.
    The car is auto and does short journey's, so the silencers became stuffed with rust and soot.
    Pilgrim headers are completely wrong far an engine as far as gas flow goes. the end ports point straight at each other and will create back pressure choking the engine.
    I also noticed that several of the welds were very poor and had started to fail.
    Note this car has probably done no more than 2000 miles.

Pic of one of the new pipes attached. I will get some pics of the old bits soon.

Andy
    Hi Andy,

The baffles in the pic are off a set of sidepipes, if pilgrim supply under car silencer boxes they must have had the same "bright idea" with thoses as well. My baffles had not "colapsed", they have been squashed like that on purpose. They have been welded along each crease.

Regards,

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Paul B
    Pete

Those baffles are exactly as supplied by Pilgrim with the intent that the gasses have to divert through the wadding in the centre section and thus reduce the noise.

I have been running for over 17,000 miles with them and the noise is quite acceptable.

However, I would be very interested to see what you come up with and whether they could be fitted inside the Pilgrim sidepipes because I am convinced the amount of power being lost must be considerable.

Please keep us informed.

Paul

Hi Paul,

This is what I plan to do. I have ordered 2 metres of 1+3/4" inch perferated tube and some large washer type things that hold the pipe centrally within the sidepipe. I am going to fit them and see how noisy the engine is with this setup. If its too bad I will order some of the rifle tubing that Custom Chrome get made up and try that. (Out of stock at the mo).

I don't what the car to be noisy as it attracts the wrong kind of attention.

Chris (at CC) is a bit concerned that Pilgrim won't be happy that is name has been mentioned in this thread but I don't think that he has done anything wrong. He just suggested that I have a look at my pipes before making a new set of headers.

I have been told of a case where an engine was supposed to be putting out 400 bhp but was only knocking out 180. The pipes were the cause of the problem.

I'll let you know how it turns out

Cheers

Pete

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast