Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I've Broken the Law!

Inadvertantly I must add.

Now I didn't know this, most of you probably do, but for those that don't a reminder.

SORN is not transferable. So when I got my Jag XXXX XXX XXX XXX the Car was allready on SORN - I assumed wrongly that this would transfer to the new owner.

After waiting for a reminder that didn't come I checked my vehicle status on the DVLA site and found it to be unlicenced.

I read the notes and realised my mistake - I then registered SORN on the website (you can't backdate it!) and was greeted by a message that the continuous licencing squad would be contacting me.

Oh well - waiting for a knock at the door!! at least I've got the photographic evidence to show it was in bits in my garage and not being driven on the road!

You'd have thought they could have made it clearer? lso you would have thought they would have checked up in the last 12 months that is neither been licenced or on SORN?

Simon.
    Last edited by Simon R; 16-10-07 at 06:25 PM. Reason: Idiot
    I'm not a complete idiot...... some parts are missing......

Gone but not forgotten......GD-JAG BAE 383 SBC - See the build at Building a GD 427

Quote Originally Posted by Simon R View Post
    Inadvertantly I must add.

Now I didn't know this, most of you probably do, but for those that don't a reminder.

SORN is not transferable. So when I got my Jag Font and Rear end the Car was allready on SORN - I assumed wrongly that this would transfer to the new owner.

After waiting for a reminder that didn't come I checked my vehicle status on the DVLA site and found it to be unlicenced.

I read the notes and realised my mistake - I then registered SORN on the website (you can't backdate it!) and was greeted by a message that the continuous licencing squad would be contacting me.

Oh well - waiting for a knock at the door!! at least I've got the photographic evidence to show it was in bits in my garage and not being driven on the road!

You'd have thought they could have made it clearer? lso you would have thought they would have checked up in the last 12 months that is neither been licenced or on SORN?

Simon.
    Oops

Don`t forget to tell them the photo was taken after YOU removed the parts from the car. I`m sure you just mis-typed, but if I read your post correctly it reads that you bought parts with a logbook(which isn`t entirely legal) - I`m sure you meant to say you bought the complete car with the V5 and then stripped the donor parts.

Good luck.
    There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
    You don`t have to be mental to build a kitcar - but it definitely helps.

GD JAG mk4 finally on the road (but not quite finished)
    Currently got more hp than talent.

I'd be surprised if you hear anything from them.

I brought a Land Rover that was last used in 1988 and a few years ago I thought it might be an idea to put it on Sorn about 15 years after it was last used. I got the same message but never heard anything from them.

Craig.

Built a Dax once, Long time ago, painted it blue, original huh...?

http://www.cobraclub.com/gallery/showgallery.php/ppuser/714/username/craggle

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Paul View Post
    Oops

Don`t forget to tell them the photo was taken after YOU removed the parts from the car. I`m sure you just mis-typed, but if I read your post correctly it reads that you bought parts with a logbook(which isn`t entirely legal) - I`m sure you meant to say you bought the complete car with the V5 and then stripped the donor parts.

Good luck.
    Paul,

I indeed forgot to mention that very point. Sorry if I misled you. It is indeed unfortunate that I didn't buy a camera until after I had stripped it.

Simon
    I'm not a complete idiot...... some parts are missing......

Gone but not forgotten......GD-JAG BAE 383 SBC - See the build at Building a GD 427

Quote Originally Posted by craggle View Post
    I'd be surprised if you hear anything from them.

I brought a Land Rover that was last used in 1988 and a few years ago I thought it might be an idea to put it on Sorn about 15 years after it was last used. I got the same message but never heard anything from them.

Craig.
    Craig

I believe there was a cut-off date(1998 rings a bell???) regarding SORN.
    Anything that hasn`t been taxed since the cut-off date doesn`t need SORNing(sp?)
    My donor Jag seems (according to the FSH!!!!) to have been used up until 1997. I SORN it online every May to be safe - but have never received any acknowledgement/reminders etc from DVLA.
    Of course I could be wrong - usually am.
    There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
    You don`t have to be mental to build a kitcar - but it definitely helps.

GD JAG mk4 finally on the road (but not quite finished)
    Currently got more hp than talent.

The one I bought had been off the road since before sorn was invented and so wasn't on sorn. I applied when ownership passed to me. They never contacted me. Perhaps they spent the money catching the pushers hanging around primary schools, stranger things have happened!
    AKA Ed and not computer literate enough to change \'bitsilly\'.

People say to me \'hey you, get out of my garden\'.

Angry

Just recieved an 80 "fine" this morning for not renewing my sorn notice in July. Bast*rds

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Paul View Post
    Craig

I believe there was a cut-off date(1998 rings a bell???) regarding SORN.
    Anything that hasn`t been taxed since the cut-off date doesn`t need SORNing(sp?)
    My donor Jag seems (according to the FSH!!!!) to have been used up until 1997. I SORN it online every May to be safe - but have never received any acknowledgement/reminders etc from DVLA.
    Of course I could be wrong - usually am.
    Paul you are Correct on all points....
    I forgot to re tax my RAM when it was in bits while I was getting rid of the McLeaky, no reminder, then a failure to SORN fine; b4stards...I rang up and explained my posotion but I was treated as though I was serial killer, so I told em to forget it and paid up, tossers...
    Last edited by dingocooke; 16-10-07 at 06:59 PM.
    Regards Steve

Crendon #22

452cu FE with top loader

I wonder how long you get then?
    I had my logbook and registered in my name a month or so before my SVA. Didn't hear anything about SORN and to be honest never thought about it. Car now on the road and new cobra logbook arrived yesterday.
    I had this problem a few years back when I bought a spare Scimitar that was put off the road before SORN came in. I got a really shirkey letter back when I sent the logbook to change ownership to me. It stated that they wanted to know when it was last taxed etc and I would not get a new logbook until it was all squared up. Phoned and didn't get much help or sympathy but a new logbook arrived the next day anyway. Right hand not knowing what the left hand was doing? I have the logbook in my name and still haven't declared it SORN since getting it. My understanding is if it has never been on the road (ie taxed)since sorn came in you dont have to decalre it.
    John.
    Southern Roadcraft built in the North!!!
    With a proper Ford V8 fitted.

SORN / you must have read my mind.

Interesting reading above, as I was going to pose this question last night. The RFL on mine runs out at the end of November 07 and I don't intend to renew it until April 08.

I have never had any experience with SORN, can anybody advise what I have to do? Does it cost and if so would I be better off just buying 6-months tax to see me through?

Nick
    Magnum Cobra & 350 Chevy

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast