Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs up fuel pipes, quick question.

hi guys, can you tell me, if its ok to use solderd bends on fuel lines, decided to run mine up the gearbox tunnel, god? that sounds painfull. straight pipes from front to back, but used solderd bends at the back end, just to try and keep it tight to the chassi, what do you think, will mr sva,man be happy. cheers grizz.

Hi Colin
    I can't see whaty it would be a problem regarding SVA. The tightness of the bends may impede the fuel flow though.
    The norm with SVA seems to be, if the large car companies use a certain method, then it is OK for kit cars. So think if you have ever seen it on a production car.
    Hope you and the beer are fine .
    Cheers
    Kevin
    PS To bend our pipe i used an aerosol can to use as a 'former' for the copper pipe to bend it around.
    Kevin & Helen
    DMS Venom Viper
    Granada Cosworth 2.9V6 BOA
    SVA passed Aug 07

Thumbs up re pipes

hi kev, how are you doing, thats great then , will stick with the solder just now, its just that i like it tight, guffaw, guffaw, god i will have to stop reading these viz magazines, the beers fine as always, got the camber sorted on the backend, looks ok. pumps fitted, just to sort the brake pipes again, then will go for the dreaded body. need a few beers in me for that one. hope you and the misses are doing well, going to get my tea now , will catch you later. cheers grizz.

Hi Colin
    I would wait for the general concensus before saying soldered elbows will be fine. Can't you use flexi rubber pipe to get around awkward places and copper for long runs. I used this method along with 8mm plumbing olives soldered onto the copper pipe to give a bulge for the rubber to grip onto.
    There is nothing wrong with Viz, Johny Fartparts being a personal fave of mine. I do recall a mag called 'Gutter' in he early nineties, now that was the sickest of childish humour. It only seemed to last for a couple of issues tho .
    Helen and I are fine thanks .
    Keep up the beer and blow your liver
    Cheers
    Kevin
    Kevin & Helen
    DMS Venom Viper
    SVA passed Aug 07

I would have thought that soldering would be a No No due to the low melting point of solder and the potential of fire in the car causing fuel lines to then come apart. Just my thoughts no evidence to back it up ?

VOSA/MOT concider brazing to be a NO NO as it's a bonding process as opposed to a welding/fusion/mechanical jointing process. One would assume that VOSA/SVA would hold soldering in the same light
    Chris
    Ex AK427 351Cleveland T5WC

In the good old days of Solex, SU, Zenith etc carbs when 2262cc of ford six cylender engine developed all of 68 BHP, soldered joints on petrol lines were common.

Try unsoldering a soldered joint with liquid in it, very difficult because the liquid keeps the joint below the solder running temperature, and 4 or 5 PSI of pressure is not going to strain anything apart.

On top of that, in the case of an engine fire, what do you think is going to happen to the rubber petrol hose in the range of any flames.

Brian.

Not allowing a solder joint seems a bit OTT to me but how about pushing a 1.5" long bit of fuel tube over the pipe first, then make the solder joint and pull the fuel tube back over the joint, whack a couple of jubliee clips on, one on the elbow and one just on the pipe then it is a mechanical joint.

After the SVA you could cut the fuel tubing off if you wanted it to look neater, if not just leave it.

Doing this would allow the tight bends that your after, I think if you just use flexible pipe it will link and starve the engine of fuel.

HTH,

Pete
    This forum has a high proportion of people that lack basic manners.

Hi Colin
    Why not phone up your local SVA place. Ours in Nottingham was very friendly, and this way there will be no element of doubt as to whether they find it acceptable or not. After all different SVA places seem to have different views.
    Cheers
    Kevin
    Kevin & Helen
    DMS Venom Viper
    SVA passed Aug 07

what size are you using? cant you just bend the pipe with either a bending spring if its 15mm or a small pipe bender if its 10mm?
    Gone over to the darkside with a TVR Chimaera but really enjoying it. Not unlike the cobra but a bit more practical.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast