Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

De Havilland Mosquito Museum day out

I've recieved this invite from the De Havilland museum and it sounds like it could be a nice day out, if we can get enough people then i'll find out about the photo op with the Mozzie & guided tour, probably looking at going around April/May.
    who fancies going ?
    .................................................. .......

De Havilland Mosquito Museum Invitation

For any club or group looking for a destination for a run, the De Havilland Mosquito Museum, just off the M25 south of Hatfield is ideal. They can take up to 20 cars comfortably with secure parking, and have a tearoom that will provide a ploughman's lunch or cream teas with prior notice, plus a guided tour of the museum. Or you can bring your own picnics and sit out in the grounds.

The Mosquito was arguably the best aircraft of World War 11, certainly the most versatile. It was a bomber that outran the fastest fighters, so needed no armament. It was a fighter with massive fire-power. It was a ship-buster, with eight rockets giving the equivalent of a broadside from a cruiser. And it was known as the plane that always brought back its crews, with the highest survival rate of any aircraft involved in the conflict. Yet it was made of wood, using monocoque ply-sandwich construction, meaning it could be built by the furniture makers of England, in small workshops scattered round the country, safe from enemy attack.

Planes restored or under restoration include Mosquitoes, plus many other famous De Havilland aircraft, including a Vampire, Venom, Vixen, Doves, a Heron, a Dragon Rapide, the front half of a Trident, the fuselage of a Comet, even guided missiles. If you ask nicely in advance they will even push out a Mozzie for a photo-shoot, or let you run your hands over a Rolls Royce Merlin to see what a 1200hp V12 feels like.
    Museum open from
    First Sunday of March to last Sunday of October
    Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays 14:00 - 17:30
    Sundays and Bank Holidays 10:30 - 17:30
    (last entry to museum 16:30)

Admission charges
    Adults 5.00
    Children / Senior Citizens 3.00
    Under 5's FREE
    Family Ticket (2 adults + 2 children) 13:00
    Facilities for disabled
    Free Parking

Directions/location ; deHavilland Heritage Centre

For more information please see ; deHavilland Heritage Centre
    update
    just to keep you all up to speed here, I've had a nag with the museum and they are more than happy to push a plane outside so we can have a group picture taken of our cars with a plane, they will even let us take individual pics of our cars with a plane and they dont want a penny for this, they will push the plane out and let us take the pics ABSOLUTELY FREE OF CHARGE , in fact they may even give us a small entry discount for a group booking.
    so if you do come along dont forget your camera

ME

But I want to know what you'll be piloting, Bilko.
    Cobra not quite as shiny as my head

Sounds interesting if the car's ready by then

Andi.
    http://picasaweb.google.com/andicole0 - http://andiscobra.blogspot.com/ - http://www.tomsrush.blogspot.com/
    Dax Tojeiro, Chevy 350, Tremec TK05, 3.54 Powerloc diff. MoT'd, SVA'd, registered, taxed and insured. Now with RAC cover, just in case
    Polishes to date = 7. Engines to date = 2. Seats to date = 4. Sold

Quote Originally Posted by robinj66 View Post
    ME

But I want to know what you'll be piloting, Bilko.
    to be honest m8 i'm not quite sure what me next set of wheels are gonna be , keep changing me mind between either a Citoen traction, Riley rme or a TVR Chim, i'll just have to wait and see what catches me eye .
    suppose i should have mentioned in the first post that we already have a few guys penciled in for the museum

purple
    beaky
    cobman
    gummy
    johnny cob
    kicksy
    paul h
    emgee
    gwak
    colin b
    peter c
    dave p
    mgcob
    & me

count me in - my cousin flew the one in the 633 squadren film

Clive
    On On

Car won't be ready, but as only a couple of miles away I will probably pop along and have a good look around finished ones and get some much needed inspiration. Museum is a top place, loads to look at and play with, more of a hands on place, they don't mind you climbing on a few things, not the mosquito's' though
    fergie

I would certainly love to come along, provided my Kirkham is on the road by then.
    My Great Uncle was lost over the North Sea in a Mosquito in a conflict with enemy aircraft during WWII, so I've always something of an affinity with the Mossie.
    He flew with 151 Squadron and was lost on the 10th August 1942 at the age of 21.
    I would love to get a picture of my car alongside a Mosquito.

Regards,
    Paul

Bilko,

I hope to attend sounds like a cracking event.May sounds a bit warmer for us softies.

Paul,(Fatboy)

Hope you have the motor on the road and hear your new motor running.

Cheers John

It should be running pretty soon after delivery. The engine simply needs dropping in and connecting up. Any possible delay will be centred around registration I suspect.

Paul

OK guys, I've emailed the museum and asked them for May 18th, I'll confirm this date with you all as soon as i hear back from them

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast