Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by RichDyne View Post
    LMAO - They seemed ok before the we took the engine out so don't expect anything to have happened. To be honest it sounds more internal than air moving.

Something went through my head before (rare but it does happen now and again). Could it be possible that such a noise would come about from a hydraulic tapet not being filled correctly with oil? If it is how could I check this - I assume its possible to move a push rod with the rocker off......

Might whip a rocker cover off in the morning and check if there is something obviously wrong going on.

Cheers Pete.
    Rich

The lifters will fill with oil after several seconds running so I don't think it can be that. Still worth poking around under the rocker covers though.

You could remove the plugs and the covers then turn the engine over by hand to check that everything is opening and closing as and when it should be. (not sure how much this will help but it won't do any harm)

What sort of breather system are you running?

Pete
    Last edited by Sidecarbod; 29-05-08 at 07:38 PM.
    I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent.

Rules for buying 'Go Faster' parts:-

If it's fast and cheap then it's not good.
    If it's cheap and good then it's not fast.
    If it's good and fast then it's not cheap!

If you are worried about weather or not oil is getting to all the lifters or not, you could take off both the rocker covers, remove the distributor, and if you have a quick brace turn the oil pump and watch to see if oil comes out of ALL the rockers or not. If it is not there could be a problem with one but of course this is not a true diagnoses just an indication, but might help to put your mind at rest.
    Martin

351W 416.7 HP and 466.8 ft-lbs

Running Mega Squirt and Edis 8

Will do a compression test as well.

The breather system at the moment is almost non existant - I simply have a return feed off one side to the underside of the airfilter and the other side is a simple breather.

How is it best to - where can I pull a little more vaccum on the carb? There is a large central port on the front of the carb which I have capped as the car wont start unless it is completely blocked off.
    Rich

The breather system at the moment is almost non existant - I simply have a return feed off one side to the underside of the airfilter and the other side is a simple breather.

How is it best to - where can I pull a little more vaccum on the carb? There is a large central port on the front of the carb which I have capped as the car wont start unless it is completely blocked off.
    You need to connect this port to what you have as a breather at the moment through a PCV. I have one you can have if you want.
    Martin

There are a few different ways of creating a breather system. You are quite right that the car will have problems starting without the big pipe being blocked off.

Personally I would not worry too much about the breather at the moment as you seem to have aother issue. ( although could be related, I guess)

My system has one mushroom on one of the rocker covers that does not have a filter inside it, it has a rubber tube comming off it which connects to the underside of the main air filter. The other rocker cover has a PCV that has a pipe coming off it which goes to the connection on the carb.

This setup creates vaccum in the engine and ensures that the air that get pulled though the eingine has gone through a good quality filter.

The other way that I know off is similar but the first mushroom does not have a pipe connecting it to the air filter, it just has a small in built filter.

In fact thinking about this, this could be the cause of your weird noise and the massively rich mixture. The carb has been jetted to compensate for the air that it is pulling through the engine by being jetted rich. Your carb is not getting any air bled into it. (I don't know how much air is bled into the carb but it won't be the huge amout that you will get if you just pull the cap off)

RealSteel sell Mushrooms and PCV's quite cheaply.

I used a sierra crankcase breather tube as the connection from the air filter to the mushroom

The 500 is still jetted too rich out of the box though!

Pete
    Last edited by Sidecarbod; 29-05-08 at 07:56 PM.

Another thing to check - thanks Pete.

Tinka - I wouold take you up on the offer of the PCV but I am running Chevy 350 rocker covers using Jim's adapter plates from JRv8.

Think I will take a look for a new one as Pete says they are relatively cheap.

I think all the advise is going to cost a fortune in beers if and when we ever meet

CHEERS!!!
    Rich

Another thing to check - thanks Pete.

Tinka - I wouold take you up on the offer of the PCV but I am running Chevy 350 rocker covers using Jim's adapter plates from JRv8.

Think I will take a look for a new one as Pete says they are relatively cheap.

I think all the advise is going to cost a fortune in beers if and when we ever meet

CHEERS!!!
    The PCV I have is generic so no issue with it, but it is a basic on so not shiny or anything I will see if I have a picture of one and it has a rubber grommet with it.
    Martin

Quote Originally Posted by TINKA View Post
    The PCV I have is generic so no issue with it, but it is a basic on so not shiny or anything I will see if I have a picture of one and it has a rubber grommet with it.

The ones that Realsteel sell are just black plastic jobbies. The "mushroom" is chrome though.

As to a compresio test, if the motor has had noew rings, rebored etc don't expect the compression to be that good. it all needs to bed in.

Pete

Just had a thought - Could it be something as simple as pre-ignition?

We have been playing with the timing all day but nothing seemed to make any difference (I have a timing strobe but it is playing up so I can't get a decent reading).

It would make sense as under load it gets much louder and as I was travelling up hill it was at its loudest. I retarded the ignition to the point the engine would start to stumble but the knock was still there when I blip the throttle. Thats why this is confusing me.

Any ideas on how to test for this?

Thanks
    Rich

To be honest I would have to agree with Peter and say check the exhaust bolts, as it does sound a bit like it could be blowing.
    Martin

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast