Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Pilgrim ReStarted

Hi Folks,
    As the title suggests, a new Pilgrim Cars has resumed production of kits following the surprise liquidation of the deceased Pilgrim Cars UK Ltd. The factory doors were actually re-opened on 1st December 2008.

For those who want to catch up on the news, there are a number of threads:-

http://www.cobraclub.com/forum/gener...lgrim-rip.html in which the collapse of the company was announced.

http://www.cobraclub.com/forum/gener...rim-truth.html in which ex-owner, Tony Holmes, lays out the reasons for the company’s demise.

http://www.cobraclub.com/forum/gener...reborn-32.html in which I, Den Tanner, announced that I had re-acquired the remains of the company from the receiver.

http://www.cobraclub.com/forum/gener...m-rebuilt.html in which I asked this forum what was wrong with the old company and its products.

In this thread I’m intending to keep everybody posted concerning what I’m doing, as I do it, to address the concerns mentioned in previous threads.

I’ll make no bones about the fact that my intention is to reassure customers and potential customers that the Sumo product is fundamentally sound and that the past problems are all easily overcome (for past customers) and will be overcome (for future builders).

To kick this thread off: Let me say that I’ve re-opened the factory, resumed production and from the very first kit made under my management I’ve already started dealing with the issues – beginning with those of fundamental concern.
    Den Tanner

Dropped by the factory yesterday and it was great to see Pete and Martin working at full steam producing chassis' and bodies. First few are already accounted for, filling new orders. Lots of boxes of new stock beginning to pile up in the workshop and the phones are ringing with new enquiries which is also a very good sign.

Very interesting to see the new modified rear end of the chassis and also the new wishbones, which Den took me through in great detail, should make things an awful lot easier for new builders. If I was embarking in a new build now I get the feeling that I would complete it in half the time it took me before. The factory is filled with a new vigour that has been missing for years, even Pete was smiling

As for Den.......he makes a great Teaboy

I wish you all the best Den, bangs for bucks, the Sumo will be the best kit out there.......
    Noel

Sumo,
    BAE 427ci 560BHP Dart SBC / Edelbrock Thunder 800cfm.

If all you have is a hammer.....everything starts looking like a nail

Thumbs up

Great news, well done Den.
    All the very best for the future.

Bob

I can’t wait to come over to the factory and see all action. (I guess one of the first Sumo chassis is for me)
    It will feel strange that I do not need to make those modifications to the chassis and other parts as I did the last 5 years or so.

Den did in a few weeks what Tony did not in the past 7 years; Asking and listening to customers and use feedback for improvements and actually put it promptly into the production process.

A interesting thought! What happens when the source of sierra/granada doners drys up? Will you be looking to use BMW 3 series parts?

The South Africans build a great cobra using recon BMW suspension, it tried proven and working well for them! And there such a huge range of diff ratios and brakes to choose from.

I just picked up a bargin of a sumo project car to join my other cobra in the workshop, so i will be looking to purchase some finishing parts from you.

All the best for the future

Adrian

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian427 View Post
    A interesting thought! What happens when the source of sierra/granada doners drys up? Will you be looking to use BMW 3 series parts?

Adrian
    Hi Adrian,
    I'll be thinking about the next generation at some point in the future. For the time being I've got my work cut out just getting the factory operational again.

I apologise to all those who still haven't received replies to their emails/messages. The truth is that I've been utterly overloaded.

As you all know, I publish Kit Car and Cobra magazines as well - and that work hasn't simply moved to one side to let me get on with sorting Pilgrim. And in respect to building Pilgrim's momentum, I've found that even the simplist of tasks is taking far longer than I would have thought.

My main efforts in the first two weeks have gone towards ensuring the staff have the requisite materials to make kits with. They've so far produced 2 Sumo kits complete, one half Sumo chassis (for an accident repair) and 1 356 body. For my part, I've been looking at various design aspects and chasing the supply of various materials/parts.

It is coming together - gradually.
    Den Tanner

Talking

I would like to wish Den and the guys at Pilgrim all the best for 2009 and the rebirth of the Sumo . I loved building mine . Great kit!! Good luck guys . I may even have a look at another sumo my self!!!!!

All the best John.
    If it looks good Do it and dont look back

Nice one Den; (only one point; the liquidation was not a surprise for many of us; just a surprise it took so long; when I credit checked it all the CCJ's were a dead giveaway it was going to go tits up!!)

Good luck with your new venture and heres to a full order book for you in 2009!!!
    Regards Steve

Crendon #22

452cu FE with top loader

Quote Originally Posted by dingocooke View Post
    Nice one Den; (only one point; the liquidation was not a surprise for many of us; just a surprise it took so long; when I credit checked it all the CCJ's were a dead giveaway it was going to go tits up!!)

Good luck with your new venture and heres to a full order book for you in 2009!!!
    Hi Steve and John,
    Thanks for your good wishes…. I’m certainly going to need them. The market really is tough at the moment and there’s a lot to do at Pilgrim to get it back to a ‘reasonable’ state.

On the subject of the condition of the business: I fully agree that it’s astonishing that it lasted as long as it did given that there was nothing behind the façade for so very long.

According to the accounts in the liquidator’s report there was £90,000 worth of stock in the business when he brought it (actually there was a lot more than that) and that it (apparently) increased over the following years to £180,000 (in March 2007 - which I find hard to believe, given what the staff have been telling me). Interestingly, part of the report includes a statement in Tony’s hand in which he was asked to place a value on the assets on the day he closed the business and how much he believed could be realised for them. His figure was £22,156.94 (precise or what?) from which his “Estimate to realise” was £15,000.

So, to put that bluntly, Tony had run the business down to the point where there were fewer assets in it than an average builder puts into a single car. And given that the values quoted above are Tony’s figures; it makes one wonder how sincere he was when he said in his http://www.cobraclub.com/forum/gener...m-truth-6.html thread “I was hoping for a good price for the Company to help with the creditors but even though eight people were interested Den managed to get it cheap.” In fact Den paid more-or-less what Tony told the courts would be realised.

Even if I did get it cheap, I’m going to have to invest heavily just to make it operational.
    Den Tanner

Of course overvaluing the stock is a classic way of avoiding showing that a company is trading insolvent (which is illegal) at accounts submission time...
    Regards Steve

Crendon #22

452cu FE with top loader

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast