Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Maiden Run Disaster!

Hi there - Can anyone help! I took the car out today for its first run before booking in its SVA. All ok - engine turned after pumping petrol a few times and then off we went. No oil pressure light on but about a mile down the road the bloody oil pressure light came - no oil pressure on the gauge (said zero). When I put my foot down the oil light went off and the pressure slightly went up on the gauge. As soon as I slowed down the light came on again and the oil pressure dropped! Please can anyone help as Im having a bad time thinking I need to have an engine overhaul or another engine! Plus my poor wife is suffering as she is coming up with all these silly answers as to what it may be and im telling her shes to shut her mouth! ha ha! Poor wife is now telling me to go and get in the car and sod off! lol! I would but im scared of hurting my poor little engine anymore than it is all ready! lol HELP PLEASE!

First things first,

What engine is it?
    Electric or mechanical gauge?
    Does it have a separate sender for the warning switch and the gauge.
    Is there enough oil in the engine now? (wondered if it is leaking out the bottom)

Craig.

Built a Dax once, Long time ago, painted it blue, original huh...?

http://www.cobraclub.com/gallery/showgallery.php/ppuser/714/username/craggle

Hi Craig
    Chevy 350
    Mechanical pressure gauge
    It has a sender for the warning switch
    Theres approx 5.5 ltrs in there
    No oil leak out the bottom

Paul

Hmmmm, That doesn't sound too good.

Only things that spring to mind are, remove the distributor and check the drive for the oil pump is still OK. It is possible that the flat tab on the top of the pump drive shaft has been damaged.

The oil pump drive has to be aligned when the distributor is placed in the engine. If it is not and the distributor is tightened down it can damage the pump, distributor or both. It usually takes some time to get it all aligned before the distributor drops happily into place.

One other thing is the oil pickup strainer is too close to the base of the sump and the oil is being restricted from flowing underneath it.

What's the history of the engine?

Craig.

Built a Dax once, Long time ago, painted it blue, original huh...?

http://www.cobraclub.com/gallery/showgallery.php/ppuser/714/username/craggle

Is this a new problem? Is it a re-built engine? If its the first time that she's been out / run then more likely to be an electrical / guage issue.

We had problems at first with our oil pressure guage. Easiest place to start is to get a mechanical guage and plug it into where the sender normally goes. Then crank a couple of times. This should build up the pressure nicely and then you'll be able to rule out the pump etc. (or of course not but at least you'll have a better idea of where to start).

Jon
    www.sounds-legal.com - some have said we\'re mad!!!

Craig

Can you see the flat tab easily?? Is it recognisable?

I will check all what you have suggested first.

The engine is one that I bought from an advertiser in the Which Kit Mag. The guy refurbished chevys. He delivered it here to me a few years back.

I had to give up on the building as I was diagnosed with cancer so was not fit enough to proceed with the build till I had finished chemo and got strong again and thankfully got the all clear.

Paul

Hi Jon

This is a new problem as I have only took it out on the road first time today.

The engine was bought as rebuilt (but who knows!).......

I have a mechanical oil gauge reading the pressure.

There was pressure on the mechanical gauge but then dropped to zero as my speed dropped. The light then came on. Once I took the speed up again the light went off and the oil pressure slightly rose but once I slowed down again the light came on and the oil pressure went to zero again.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyT View Post
    Is this a new problem? Is it a re-built engine? If its the first time that she's been out / run then more likely to be an electrical / guage issue.

We had problems at first with our oil pressure guage. Easiest place to start is to get a mechanical guage and plug it into where the sender normally goes. Then crank a couple of times. This should build up the pressure nicely and then you'll be able to rule out the pump etc. (or of course not but at least you'll have a better idea of where to start).

Jon
    He's already said that it is mechanical

As Craig said.......doesn't sound good. He has also offered the best advice so far. I would also contact your engine supplier ASAP and explain things to him also. He deserves a chance to comment and offer suggestions before we do
    Noel

Sumo,
    BAE 427ci 560BHP Dart SBC / Edelbrock Thunder 800cfm.

If all you have is a hammer.....everything starts looking like a nail

I would contact the engine supplier but due to illness the engine sat in the utility room waiting till I recovered from cancer. I have tried to contact the guy who supplied the engine but he no longer has the number I had on his card. Its been too long.

Paul

Sorry Noel. Note to self - read post before replying. Only trying to help though!

The fact that its been sitting in the utility room doesn't mean that the engine supplier shouldn't help though. Ifs its not done anything and there's been a sudden mechanical failure when you first used it that's likely to be up to him or a problem with a part in the engine that he sold you (and therefore still his problem). The delay only makes proving that you haven't used it more difficult but sounds like you'll be ok with that. People may well know him on here.
    Last edited by JonnyT; 14-01-09 at 11:47 AM.
    www.sounds-legal.com - some have said we\'re mad!!!

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast