Which cobra to build??????

Hi Guys. Which one would be the most rewarding cobra projects. Looking at the python, sumo, 427. all fantastic but can't make up my mind. Would you please give me some insight, prices per kits, best firms to deal with and donar kits to use.

I am looking at spending a few years on this project... so price should not be a problem...hopefully if my job is safe by then. I would like to put my money into a kit car as an investment just in case I loose my job later.
    Cheers Daz

Well where to start! I think that most of the kits produced today will be rewarding, the best bet is to go to stoneleigh "the biggest kit car show" to get an idea of what you want, most people on here will give a opinion on what to buy, however, i think it safe to assume that the cheapest kit would be sumo, then AK & Dax pound for pound about the same, then crendon & hawk being at top whack, but there are so many others though i do belive that you get what you pay for, "Investment" would be highly subjective, But you can look at it as an investment in your happiness!, Best of luck with your choice! Regards Col

Hi Cobracol. I would prefer to build my own cobra rather than buy one ready built....finding this a big achievement for myself. after spending years building this car... would I not sell the car ready built for more than the full kit price. looking at kit car manufacturers some cheaper kits cost 10k to 15k and they sell the car ready built for 20k to 25k.
    would it be possible to make a profit on the car ready built? Cheers daz

If I am talking rubbish...give me a slap lol cheers

Quote Originally Posted by daz969w View Post
    Hi Cobracol. I would prefer to build my own cobra rather than buy one ready built....finding this a big achievement for myself. after spending years building this car... would I not sell the car ready built for more than the full kit price. looking at kit car manufacturers some cheaper kits cost 10k to 15k and they sell the car ready built for 20k to 25k.
    would it be possible to make a profit on the car ready built? Cheers daz

If I am talking rubbish...give me a slap lol cheers

Hi Daz

don't be fooled mate. Any of the mainstream cars fully built will cost you at least £20k to do it to any reasonable standard (mines nothing particularly unusual and I've spent closer to £30k). The manufacturers kit won't include several key and expensive items. Engine/gearbox/paint spring to mind, which for a normal spec option will add about £6-8k for the three? Have a look at Dax' pricelist (downloadable off site), and add the above and you'll be somewhere near

As regards an investment, the way I look at it, is that I've tied up a load of money that would otherwise have been spent by the good lady on sofas, endless redecorations etc. I know I won't get my money back but at least you end up with a saleable asset.

Either way its a great hobby and doing it over time as you can afford it and you have the time and inclination is a good approach.

Welcome to the club and enjoy!
    Lloyd B
    Current: Crendon #54 in build - 427 Side Oiler/Cobrajet Heads/Dual 600cfm Holleys/4 speed toploader/Vintage cast knock on wheels
    Dedion Dax/Clarkson 383 Chevy with roller 4/7 swap cam, AFR195 heads - SOLD

Ditto to Lloyds post.
    A car that costs £10-£15K to build will never sell for £20-£25K
    As Cobracol says, Get yourself to the Stoneleigh Kit car Show on the 3rd or 4th of May (Sunday and bank Holiday Monday).
    Lots of kits to see, and plenty advice from existing owners/builders on the Club parking pitch.

Welcome BTW.
    Last edited by dave; 19-04-09 at 05:46 PM.
    ‚ÄčPro Cobra Builder
    DB427SC

DB REPLICAS
    Find us on Facebook
    db427.com
    Low Volume manufacturer of
    ALUMINIUM BODY, ROUND TUBE CHASSIS.
    ORIGINAL SPEC. SUSPENSION COBRAS.
    OEM style stainless SIDEPIPES

Daz, With all due respect, yes you are!, but we can let you off without a slap, as i think there are many before you that thought the same!, 15,000 will buy you a lot of kit but i very much doubt it will be enough to do the whole car! though a lot depends on how much work you are prepared to do yourself, just as one example, fitting the doors is one job that can reduce grown men to tears!, on the ak kit for example bonnet, boot, and doors come ready Prefitted, but manufacturers cannot be expected to do this for nothing, but it will save you an awfull lot of time and trouble!, like i said you get what you pay for!, on the finnished car a lot depends on what you put into it, its by no means impossible to make a profit from these cars, but in my opinion it is unlikely for us mere mortals to do so!, Especially when the "that would be good, gremlins" come out to play! Regards col

cheers

Cheers for the info...Think I will go to stoneleigh and get some prices and advice... and be brought back down to earth.

Quote Originally Posted by daz969w View Post
    Cheers for the info...Think I will go to stoneleigh and get some prices and advice... and be brought back down to earth.
    The main thing is to choose the one you like the look and feel of most,then ask if you can afford it! How 'original' do you want it to look? Blingy or basic?
    If the Sumo feels better than a Crendon when you`re sat in it, whahey...more cash for other things; if nothing less than a Kirkham will do, you have some scrimping & saving to factor in!
    As far as resale goes...you won`t always get out what you put in, especially if you build a metallic pink pinto-engined beast that the G/F likes, but no-one else will.
    Build it for you. Sell it if you have to.
    Hawk 289 FiA with Le Mans hardtop!
    "...I didnt slag off your moose." DingoCooke.
    "Chuck Norris was born in a log cabin that he built with his bare hands!" www.chucknorrisfacts.com