Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Rover V8 in MK2??

All,

Forgive me if this has been answered elsewhere or if im being daft but i seem to remember reading somewhere that the RV8 will not for in the MK2 Chassis. Is this correct?
    The reason i ask is i may of found a part built mk2 that currently has a 2.3v6 fitted but i would want to remove and fit the v8.

Thanks

Col

anything is possible with determintation. But perhaos ask why the original owner hasnt finished it after all these years.

But,
    the difficulty of the task depends on the year of manufacture as the mkII came in at loeast 2 different versions. Talk to Den Tanner at Pilgrim is my advice.

btw A MkII may also have problems [passing IVA. Nothing insurmountab;e, more inconvenience.

btw, the MkII will not allow deep dish wheels to be fitted at the rear.
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

Thanks kevin.

I will give them a call.

He said he bought it as an unfinished project but never found the time. It has all the body pieces unfitted and looks to be a rolling chassis with the v6 in place but not plumbed in.

What problems would i encounter with the IVA?

cheers

Hi
    I converted my 2.8 V6 to a Rover V8.
    My car is Granada based and so doesn't have the Cortina back axle.
    I believe the way the Cortina axle mounts is the weak link, although several people have done it.
    We also SVA'd a MKII V6 last year, took two attempts, but looked at the first one to tell us what to put right, so not sure how different the IVA is other than cost.
    HTH Stu.

Me too

V6 out and replaced with a RV8. You might have to weld new engine mounts (get a set of the Mk III mounts, cut them down and weld them to the lower chassis rail) then all you need is new headers, a gearbox, new prop, change of coolant hoses and possibly radiator and you're sorted.
    Cobra not quite as shiny as my head

cheers guys,

I take it the best option is the LT77 box or would i have to get a bellhousing to convert to a ford box?

I did it too, but wouldnt do it again LOL
    Overcome anger with non anger,overcome evil by good, overcome the miser by giving, overcome the liar by truth

mmmm, maybe a rethink is in order. maybe ill go down the mk3 route!!

think the fact that its a 2.3 rather than 2.8 means it'll be cortina bits rather than granada. which might make adding any power an issue..

there is a long thread on here somewhere that details everything that needs to be changed, dials? Fuel pump in boot etc etc.

There are a couple of 2.8 mk2 to granny v6 24v cosworth conversions around (similar block, wider heads so might need a swap to a different master cylinder, needs a better box than the type 9 if thats what your running. Its a lovely engine (very smooth, efficient, reliable 230 bhp - nicer than an rv8??) but was chatting to the chaps at Austec who upgrade a lot of TVR wedges with the cossie lump, and they reckon the cossie bits are starting to get hard to find already (gasket kits etc) so in another 5 years might be problematic..

If it helps Den Tanner has done lots of swaps on mk2 v6's - he reckoned a swap to an rv8 is the best option, he's done lots and lots with all the bits on the shelf already to go (manifolds, prop etc) reckoned c5k, around 3k of which would be the rebuilt 3.5 engine and box.

Alex

MK2, 2.8 looking at an engine swap!

Alex has a point - you need to check which rear axle you are using. Post up some photos.

A change to the later 2.9 engine (Cosworth or not) will still mean you have to change gearbox, headers, prop et al so not that cheap an option.

You may be better going for a 2.8 which is a straight swap - but rebuilding a V6 is more expensive on parts than rebuilding a RV8.
    Cobra not quite as shiny as my head

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast