Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Newbie With Forum Questions

Morning All,

I am a new menber to the site but have been on other building forums for a number of years. I am looking into building a Cobra over the next few years, i have already built a Dax Rush and have also helped build several other cars including MKs, MNRs and Westfields. So from a car building perspective i have a good foundation knowledge of Seven-esque vehicle but not so much of the cobra.

When joining the forum i have used the "Search" option to to try and get a fair bit of background information on different Manufacturers, namely DAX (which i know a fair bit about already), AK and Pilgrim. Now to be honest i think that most people find that the Gel Coat on the DAX isn't the best and the build quality of the Pilgrim is not as good as the other two. Its my understanding that Both the DAX and AK chassis are very well designed but he bodywork of the AK seems to have the opinion of being far superior in quality and finish whan compared to the DAX shell.

This has pushed me more towards the AK kit. Now i have been to their website and had a gander about and it does look like a very friendly businesswith a passion for manufacturering classic cars and i would hopefully be planning a visit in the forth coming months.

i would just like to grasp peoples opinions on the varience of the Cobra kits and Manufacturers, what experiences have you had with them, whats the build support like from the manufacturers, efficiency of delivery, waiting time etc?

Also, i have a forum problem (i think)

when i go into threads or search threads it only lets me see the first three pages, even though it says that there are hundreds of threads listed in the forum areas. why is this? is it because im new to the forum?

All the best

Alex

Morning Alex

welcome to the forum. Everyone will have their own views on each kit, often being perhaps a little partisan to the one they have built

A visit to AK sounds in order, Dax you clearly know although gotta be worth getting Gary to scare you silly in the green beast!!

Unless you are on a very tight budget, the majority of Dax/AK cobra builds will end up being painted anyway so gel coat quality is perhaps not that critical?

A visit to some club meets to see other makes and models makes sense as well perhaps as a visit to the Stafford show?
    Lloyd B
    Current: Crendon #54 in build - 427 Side Oiler/Cobrajet Heads/Dual 600cfm Holleys/4 speed toploader/Vintage cast knock on wheels
    Dedion Dax/Clarkson 383 Chevy with roller 4/7 swap cam, AFR195 heads - SOLD

Hi Alex. welcome to the site. Have you had a look at the Gardner Douglas cobra? I finished my 2 year build last April, cant recomend them enough realy, any problem i had was sorted over the phone, and all parts were available within a few weeks, Give them a visit before you make your mind up. Happy Building.

Welcome Alex. As has been said a visit to AK is a must
    Regards the thread age thing. Go to "user cp" "edit options" and change the "default thread age cutoff" dropdown
    Chris
    Ex AK427 351Cleveland T5WC

You have raised a very partisan topic Alex. I think that everyone who say their kit is "best" (including me) believes that from their perspective. Cost, nod towards originality, ease of build, quality, attitude of kit supplier etc all play a part.

Most of this list you can see with your own eyes but you have to fit this into your own circumstances - but you know all this already.

I cannot say exactly which kit is best, but from my perspective I'm on my second AK build.....
    Stan

Hi Alex and welcome,
    As regards quality of Gel Coat I believe that GD take some beating from the many examples I've seen.
    Although I'm a Dax man I've been doing my research recently with a new build in mind, and GD definitely has to be a contender on price with Dax and AK.
    Kev Davies
    South Wales Area Rep. UKCC Membership Secretary
    DAX Mk4, 383 Chevy Stroker, Tremec. SOLD
    Contemporary CCX 3-4028, 445ci Big Block FORD FE,TKO 600, Old School IVA'd and SOLD
    Dax De Dion LS2 and T56 IVA'd June '17 SOLD
    1965 Ford Mustang 289 Convertible FOR SALE
    In build- Hawk 289 Sebring

Welcome Omega.

Of the cobras in Sheffield that meet now and then we have:-
    AK 4 including mine.
    Dax 1
    SRV8 1
    GD 1

I didn't build my car but the other AK drivers did and they have nothing but good words for AK.

You mention gelcoat - my AK is in black gelcoat and seems quite good, but it did have a lot of work by the original builder owner. GD gelcoat seems brilliant at the moment, and you can get stripes actually within the gel.

Nuf Said

All Cobs are different to all men, Stafford Kit Car Show on Saturday and Sunday would be ideal for a comparison.

With regard to gel coat finish, GD is the best and I'm not just saying that because I've got one and price wise there's not much in AK, DAX & GD

GD Mk4 No4 in build - Ready for Le Mans Classic 2018 (no luck needed it WILL be done that's a promise
    )

GD Mk4 White/Blue Stripe Sidepipes LS2...SOLD

Blue Mk4 GD LS1...SOLD

............. Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Purple AK View Post
    Welcome Alex. As has been said a visit to AK is a must
    Regards the thread age thing. Go to "user cp" "edit options" and change the "default thread age cutoff" dropdown
    Thanks for the tips on the edit options i can now see all topics and threads!

Unfortunately i can't make Stafford due to work commitments but i have done stoneleigh a few times in my Rush as i only live 4 miles from the show ground. i always have a wonder over the cobra club stand to have a drool!

i have been thinking about colour schemes all day, traditional blue with white stripes is always a good one but have been thinking a gun metal grey with black or white stripes might make an absolute stunner!

so a few more questions,

1) Donor Vehicle - its my understanding that the cobra uses Jag XJ6 running gear, is there any particular year of can that this needs to come from, mk1 mk2 etc? at the moment im kind of restricted for space looking for a barn unit to store a donor, but could possibly look to buy reconditioned parts to get rid of the hassle of stripping a donor. what other parts am i going to need from the donor itself? Steering colum, brake servo, up rights, etc

2) The floor? i have noticed on some cars run a steel floor. does this play an intregral structural role in the chassis (im thinking from a torque perspective) has anyone done an ali floor pan or even better a carbon one? (got a mate in the carbon making business who could possibly make an ultra light, ultra strong floor, which could be rivetted to the floor?)

3) Beeing looking at a Rover V8 engine but i undersand that these come in a variety of sizes, 3.2, 3.9, 4.2, 4.6 ????? do they all have the same mounting place? or is there a better option of engine, chevy small block etc?

im sure i'll think of more.

All the best

Alex

Each kit is different. Some including the new AK and the DeDion dax use the later XJ40 Jag suspension so you need to decide on the car before you head off down that road.

One option is to just buy the subframes and the V5 from a car in a breakers which is then scrapped as part of the process. Saves dismantling a whole car. Lots of places to get the bits.

re engines, it rather depends on how much you want to spend/how much power you are after. Rovers tend to be a cheaper & lighter but usually less powerful option than the yank blocks. Again another good reason to try as many cars as poss.
    Lloyd B
    Current: Crendon #54 in build - 427 Side Oiler/Cobrajet Heads/Dual 600cfm Holleys/4 speed toploader/Vintage cast knock on wheels
    Dedion Dax/Clarkson 383 Chevy with roller 4/7 swap cam, AFR195 heads - SOLD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast