Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Cheers for the pointers folks

@Alan - Great minds and all that re coolant hoses - have done that as part of the initial head work as wasn't happy with routing and look of pipe work - so sorted on that bit

cheers
    Gary
    Conny - A Carnival Red Metallic (paint code Ref: Jag CGG/1811) Southern Roadcraft V8 ( SRV8 ) with 383ci stroker chevy.

If you don't have an ally flywheel already, fit one while it's out.
    2003 Dave Brookes Dax 350ci Chevy SB.
    2008 Crendon 462ci Ford Sideoiler No.43
    2012 Crendon 351ci Ford Cleveland No.24
    2019 Crendon 445ci Ford FE No.66

Not a fan of Ally flywheels personally unless you want a high revving screamer of an engine.
    Personal choice I know.
    Don't forget to check the front and rear crank seals too.
    That said if you're stripping the motor you'll obviously be replacing them anyway.
    Kev Davies
    South Wales Area Rep. UKCC Membership Secretary
    DAX Mk4, 383 Chevy Stroker, Tremec. SOLD
    Contemporary CCX 3-4028, 445ci Big Block FORD FE,TKO 600, Old School IVA'd and SOLD
    Dax De Dion LS2 and T56 IVA'd June '17 SOLD
    1965 Ford Mustang 289 Convertible FOR SALE
    In build- Hawk 289 Sebring

to tell you the truth Kev, i've absolutely no idea what i'm going to be doing to it to be honest - lol. In an ideal world i'd be taking engine out and giving it to EDA or someone to sort it for me, but i've not got the money for that unfortunately.

The repairs are probably gonna take a while to sort whilst spare cash for any work (even me doing it) is saved/found etc.

So watch this thread for it's next update in 2023 - hehe

cheers all again

Gary
    Conny - A Carnival Red Metallic (paint code Ref: Jag CGG/1811) Southern Roadcraft V8 ( SRV8 ) with 383ci stroker chevy.

Hi Gary

Good luck to you - have you done serious engine disassembly work before? I've just finished doing the head gasket on an RB25 skyline engine - the most involved engine work I've ever done and it took me about 4 months of slow, patient and careful work. Many times during the work I said to myself "I'm glad I don't do this for a job!!"

Dave A

Hi Dave,

Thanks for that - will defo need it.

The disassembly isn't the problem, it's the making sure it goes back together properly is the problem hehe

Only stuff i've ever done on an engine is on this one - i.e. removed intake manifold due to blown gasket caused by over heating, then removal of both heads after finding the exhaust crossover ports full of oil, which then led to removal of a couple of valves/springs and finding worn valve guides, leading to heads going to engineering company to have new guides etc, then me refitting the new gaskets etc and then refitting heads and intake, and getting a new carb and fitting that - then finding that after all the work, the plugs are still getting fouled to death (albeit only on one side) now, not both as before work was done.

A huge learning curve i can tell you - exasperated more by the fact that what i've spent and had done not being the solution to the issues as yet - so will need more time and money in order to get it sorted (the latter i don't have spare).

Car has been of the road for nearly 3yrs due to house move initially and then gasket failure which happened last june/july or so - my aim was to get the cob back together and on the road in time for this years Silverstone classic (which i did - woohoo ) but had issues with misfire (fouled plugs) both there and back and missed out on infield parking due to not wanting to risk driving in for such a short journey when I still had the long journey back.

I suppose my main problem is not knowing what i'm doing and not wanting to pester my mate (who's more than willing to help, and has done plenty of times already) each time.

cheers all

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by kdavies3 View Post
    Not a fan of Ally flywheels personally unless you want a high revving screamer of an engine.
    Personal choice I know.
    Don't forget to check the front and rear crank seals too.
    That said if you're stripping the motor you'll obviously be replacing them anyway.
    I've had both versions on small block and big block engines. I much prefer the 'pick up' with an ally flywheel, especially on the big block.
    2003 Dave Brookes Dax 350ci Chevy SB.
    2008 Crendon 462ci Ford Sideoiler No.43
    2012 Crendon 351ci Ford Cleveland No.24
    2019 Crendon 445ci Ford FE No.66

I think I have a CD somewhere that came with a book by SA Workshops which shows the rebuild sequence for the small block Chevy. Sometimes seeing is easier than reading so happy to chuck it in the post to you if you want to use it during the rebuild? Might even be possible to copy it, zip it and whizz it over via Wetransfer? Assuming I can find it!

Very odd problem you have going on here, will be interested to hear what you find when you get it all apart. I'm still baffled as to how all 4 cylinders are affected on one bank but not at all on the other.
    Lloyd B
    Current: Crendon #54 in build - 427 Side Oiler/Cobrajet Heads/Dual 600cfm Holleys/4 speed toploader/Vintage cast knock on wheels
    Dedion Dax/Clarkson 383 Chevy with roller 4/7 swap cam, AFR195 heads - SOLD

Hi Lloyd

Tell me about it - it's very weird indeed and is probably blatantly obvious once engine out and someone who knows what they are doing looks into it.

One side all 4 plugs caked in hard crusty black burnt stuff, other side just has a light black dusty coating which possibly just rich setting.

I've not actually seen or found a picture showing plug conditions where a plug matches the state mine are in.

Many thanks for the offer, i may take you up on it at some point, but will keep in mind for now if that's ok

Friend is coming round tonight, will take a look and see what next step is.

cheers
    Gary

I know very little about the workings of a V8. I'm balancing up rebuilding mine or getting it done professionally but my instant thought is that your problem is manifold or carb related as it's impacting one bank and not the other. I'd be amazed if your head/bottom end had the same problem across all 4 cyclinders. It would also explain the big drop in HP. What carb and manifold do you have?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast