Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: srv8 steering.

Hi David, thanks for info on steering. How do you know mods will work? Which components did you use and did they need modification?Would like to pop up and see your chassis sometime.Yes, Jay was the person I was thinking of at roadcraft. Gradually forming the opinion that this topic is going to run for a while. There must be a recognised solution by now, or do people just soldier on with bump steer?

Mick H
    Last edited by Mick H; 16-01-11 at 01:05 PM.

Steering mods

Thanks for advice Kev, was going to see how good car can handle before upgrading to chevy/ tremec combo. If it can be improved on what I have acheived so far, then it may be quick enough from a to b for me to think about leaving rover lump in. Have found tyre pressures critical, and with 215/ 60 front and 235/60 rear, am running 20psi front,and 18 psi rear. While seeming low to me, this seems to work okay on my car.

Mick H

Quote Originally Posted by Mick H View Post
    Hi David, thanks for info on steering. How do you know mods will work? Which components did you use and did they need modification?Would like to pop up and see your chassis sometime.Yes, Jay was the person I was thinking of at roadcraft. Gradually forming the opinion that this topic is going to run for a while. There must be a recognised solution by now, or do people just soldier on with bump steer?

Mick H
    Hi Mick,

How do you know mods will work? Because there is no change in toe in or out when you jack the car up and lift the wheels off the floor as you can clearly see on a std SR! Your avg driver would not even know what bumpsteer is or even knows what it feels like. Madgwick have now solved this only issue with the SR.

Req'd parts for power steering
    95 mondeo left hand drive rack
    Cut shorten the STD track arms tap 1/2unf thread
    2 x 1/2 unf Rose joints for trackrod ends.
    2x madgwick steering arms for the hubs with spacers
    Steering bracket kit
    Make up your own hoses, easy
    Use chevy PAS pump

I need to make up a steering shaft to the column, I'll buy those parts from the states. Madgwick kit looks a bit hit and miss for my liken!
    David

SR full rebuild, now on the road, needs trim to finish
    TWM EFI 388ci 550hp/520tq
    Power steering fitted.

Quote Originally Posted by kdavies3 View Post
    Hi Mick and welcome,
    If you are goong to upgrade to your Chevy/ Temec combo, my advise would be to fit them first, as the difference in weight will certainly alter the handling characteristics
    Engine & box first then suspension mods at the correct weight.
    Hi Kev, thanks for that. Will try to eliminate bumpsteer first though as I don't want it there and will then consider engine change as I'm thinking if bumpsteer has been eliminated..........The rest should be easier.

Mick H

sr v8 steering mods

Hi David, thanks for info on parts for conversion.I know you mentionedmanual rack am still not sure if I need to fit power steering, would this only be needed for a heavier engine than rv8?
    On question of jacking up car and seeing toe in/ out change, I saw this, but got rid of most of it but knew that some remained as explained previously.
    Would like to come up to see your car/chassis sometime thanks for offer of same.
    Have had car off road for 18 months and was going to sort steering before spring. Yup, I know.......

Mick H

Quote Originally Posted by Mick H View Post
    Hi David, thanks for info on parts for conversion.I know you mentionedmanual rack am still not sure if I need to fit power steering, would this only be needed for a heavier engine than rv8?
    On question of jacking up car and seeing toe in/ out change, I saw this, but got rid of most of it but knew that some remained as explained previously.
    Would like to come up to see your car/chassis sometime thanks for offer of same.
    Have had car off road for 18 months and was going to sort steering before spring. Yup, I know.......

Mick H
    You don't need to do Powersteering, I'm only using my experience. Madgwick do a manual rack as well, no idea what they use tho?

Contact member SR Dave, he has a manual madgwick rack in his.

Your more than welcome to pop over.
    David

SR full rebuild, now on the road, needs trim to finish
    TWM EFI 388ci 550hp/520tq
    Power steering fitted.

Mick, You have a P.M. Frank. BLOKE.

Hi All, My SR V8 is eleven years old now, with the original M G rack, and I have negligible bump steer for the following reasons.
    To eliminate 95% the rack needs to sitting on a negative position when the car is on the ground, and the driver in the car, that is to say you have to draw an imaginary line through the centre line of rack and the steering arms and ball joints, if the rack is to high, or to low it will promote bump steer.
    Someone mentioned changing the length of the steering arms, the shorter they are the MORE bump steer you get, this is because a shorter length follows a tighter radius,
    Regards Frank Dowsett. BLOKE

Hi Frank, as you may remember when we were building, we talked about steering geometry at some length. And as I recall, we had both virtually eliminated it. It's just that I would really like to get rid of the last little bit if possible?
    Best to yourself and Milly
    Mick

Quote Originally Posted by cHegebrachich View Post
    Hello. And Bye.
    COCK, go away troll

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast