Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: srv8 steering.

Bumping an old thread, as a new owner of an SRV8, can anyone confirm (since the last post was two years ago), what are the recommended spring poundages and a definite replacement steering rack (non PAS preferably)?

Cheers

Mark

Hi Mark the origonal SR like mine a 1997 model they had a mgb steering rack the 22" long version. Spring rates! I had origonal Spax shocks on from SR they were terrible for a number of reasons and dangerous. I went with Protec shocks which have transformed the car i can give you the spring ratings on these when i get back home as i am in Venice at the min.
    Hope this helps.
    Cheers
    Mark

Hi Mark,

That sounds great, especially the Venice bit!

Spring rates are of course, the first step and I can't corner weigh the car myself to even start guessing. All I can say, is that currently the car is a boat. Once I have appropriate rates I can select the shocks to go with.

I'm not intending anything other than spirited road driving with the car, so it needn't be modified to give Cheng a run for his money on track! I just don't want to throw myself into the hedgerow every time I lift off!

Rebuilt the suspension on mine ( Rover 4.6 ) and it had 350 lb, but increased these to 400 with Protech and that was a big improvement. Rack - MGB long shaft ( mkII ) and you need extensions for the track rods. Also Polybushed and then a bit of playing around on ride height and shock settings and got it to feel really good.
    Also check you have the solid top end mounts for the steering column and not the original rubber ones.

do you have any photos of your end mounts Hughw? - ours is still on the rubber mounts and want to replace/upgrade to solid mounts at some point - also, any photos of the extensions for the track rods too.

cheers
    Gary
    Conny - A Carnival Red Metallic (paint code Ref: Jag CGG/1811) Southern Roadcraft V8 ( SRV8 ) with 383ci stroker chevy.

Jeff Knight <info@thelatheman.com> made up the rack extensions for me - 60mm and 9/16 UNF threads, very nice too.

Steering column - had some nylon sheet so made this up to get the right height and rake...there should also be a support plain bearing off the engine mount to the top of the rack shaft to stabilise that too.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Mark
    I am back at home now, the Protec spring rate was 450lbs front I find them better than 400 and 300lbs rear. As advised by other lads I have solid mountings for my column made from turned brass on the lathe. I also have my column going through a rose joint which I fabricated to attach to the o/s engine mount which is adjustable to achieve the perfect unstressed line of the steering shaft as to avoid wear and undue movement of this long shaft at the rack and column ends. Also as mentioned this has rack extenders .AC used MGB racks as original .I also did away with SR 's control arms as I did not approve of separate bits of steel welded together including the track rod end eye welded separately. I had my own control arms made from a billet of steel slightly different from SR at the time. I built my SR 25 years years ago along with many others and I drive my SR as hard as my tin boxes Jaguar etc and it inspires total confidence and keeps up with modern traffic 😉
    Kevin from Protec is a good friend he is currently off work at the minute due to an operation but if you want to go down the Protec route let me know.
    Cheers Mark

This is golden information, Mark. You just saved me hundreds of hours! I can’t thank you enough.

I hope your friend Kevin gets well soon, he has a new customer waiting in the wings!

I’ll take a close close look at the column mounts etc today, see what I have and if they can be improved.

the most interesting thing is extending the rack. I don’t have facilities or abilities myself to produce custom parts, but there latheman on eBay looks like he knows what he’s doing and will make bespoke extenders.

looking at my rack yesterday, I think it currently sits too high as the steering arms have a downward angle at rest.

meanwhile guys, I checked my tyre pressures yesterday. 30psi all round on 15” 60 profiles!!! I’ve just dropped that to 20 all round and am heading out see how that feels as soon as I finish my coffee.

pip pip for now.

Quick update: Well, I never expected something as simple as tyre pressures to make such a massive difference in the way the Cobra handles and feels. Simply dropping to 20psi all round from 30, has completely tamed the beast!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456