Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tremec Oil??

Tremec Oil??

Just finished putting my jag diff back together to cure output shaft oil leak. Not a job I want to do again!

However - whilst under the car for so long, I noticed the the gearbox is also gettin' kinda' leaky. Have a tremec TKO, using the Dexron II fluid as recommended. Have small oil leak from shifter area, also I think I can see the signs of some leakage now through the front input shaft seal. Nothing from the rear seal as yet - thats drizabone.
    Have seen some posts before about tremecs leaking using the standard oil, so does anyone have a tried and tested alternative? And did it stop the box leaking?

Thanks

WIlf
    Crendon has left the building................bright yellow Stag has landed.

RE: Tremec Oil??

My Tremec leaks also. It did when it was new. It has just been stripped down and rebuilt(not because it leaked) and it still leaks but in a different place. It also has a small leak at he input shaft area. I use Dexron 11 also.

Alex

Crendon no 52
    Ford 351C

Alex - my sympathy - ever heard of anyone using a redline transmission oil instead of the DexronII? That's what I want to find out about - the Dexron fluid is so d**m runny it's bound to leak! What did the supplier of your'box say?

Wilf

Wilf-

My understanding is that the Tremec manufacturer advises that nothing but GM Synchromesh transmission fluid should be used in the Tremec 3550 and TKO 5 speed trans. I've heard some people report good results with Redline hi-dollar trans oil in the Tremec, while others have reported that the GM product works best- that Redline gives a "notchy" feel to the shifting [whatever that is]. I went to my local GM dealer to get some Synchromesh fluid for my Tremec and was told that the original part number GM Synchromesh fluid I had requested had been discontinued and replaced with another. This new stuff had a generic-looking label like "GM Manual Transmission Lubricant" or some such. I hope he sold me the proper stuff. I haven't driven the car yet. I have heard of auto trans fluids like Dextron mentioned above being used in the T-5 transmission, however.

I have heard good things about Forte's parts as a source of Tremec parts and info http://www.fortesparts.com/ . I believe that Tremec's website is www.ttcautomotive.com/welcome.htm . There may be some authoritative info sources linked there somewhere.

Dan
    Dan

Dan - thanks for your help. Looks as tho' tremec's do resmeble sieves on average, decided not to worry about the few drips I get for the time being. Perhaps after I 've ruined my clutch a Wroughton I might attend to it??

Wilf

Getting oil out of the shifter sounds a bit extreme...did you overfill it Wilf? Now that you have a tight rear end, I wouldn't like to thin you had a messy front! *chuckle*

RigMan

>Getting oil out of the shifter sounds a bit extreme...did you overfill
    >it Wilf? Now that you have a tight rear end, I wouldn't like to thin
    >you had a messy front! *chuckle*

The mind boggles. I certainly wouldn't ask to have a look at Wilfs rear-end, however tight it might be.

>
    >RigMan

Robert

The Whistler!

Best Regards

Robert

Crossed over for a while - Overlanding - Some people are just like slinkies, they don't really have a purpose but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Prunes should help!

Glad you are all so interested in my rear end, since that's mostly what you'll see of my car on Saturday!!

Yours in Fords

Wilf

Good point Rigman, but no I didn't overfill it. Have now established that Tremecs can leak from the most surprising of places! My rear end is fine thank you, also dry!

Wilf

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast