Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sumo engine

sumo engine

I'm just about to get started on building....my friendly salvage man has a Sierra 2.8 4x4 engine and gearbox. Does anyone know whats needed to get rid of the front wheel drive bit? Is this engine useable?

thanks

RE: sumo engine

Mark Ash might be able to help you. see

mark@mark-ash.co.uk

or www.mark-ash.co.uk.

Anything else, give me a call, I'm not that far from you - 01252 678830 or email me using the facility on this site. I'm up to the carpetting stage now.

Kevin

For starters you want the more modern 2.9, not the 2.8. They go for about the same price so it is well worth doing as Ford ironed out some of the problems with the 2.8 with the change over and it has more power. But old enough not to need a CAT for the test.

Your options are then to,

A) Use one from an XR4x4i replacing the sump and gearbox with one from an XR4i or Granada, simple job.

B) Get one from a 2.9 Granada as it is already set up for two wheel drive and will cost about the same if not less and saves you having to hunt around for a good box and sump.

C) Have the bellhouseing made up, a few people make them, to bolt a Sierra Cosworth T5 box on which can take all the hammering that engine is capable of producing even with the twin turbo conversion.

XR4i boxes are now few and far between, however I know someone who has a recon for sale at the moment if you want me to chase it up for you.

If I can be of any more help let me know.

Cheers
    Andy

Thanks, team - I think I'll just wait a bit and find out more from the scrap man first. It may be a 2.9 - the car was under another one, deep in the yard. I was just glad to see a complete engine with a manual box at the time!

Hi Bernie,

I don't know how heart set you are on getting a Ford V6 block or if you have considered getting another lump for your cobra. I was looking down similar routes as you when I first started my build a year ago to the day, but after looking in to the costs of aquiring the Ford v6 and having it rebuilt and then having also the expense of getting another gearbox. I realised that for a few hundred more I could get a Recon Rover v8 3.5 with a brand new R380 Gearbox, performance manifold + Holley Carb - Sure the overall running costs of the rover unit is higher but power to weight ratio - it beats the ford into an oily pulp of unrecognisable goo. needlsess to say for my sportster, I went with the Rover :7

Bernie - I was going to post a repy here a couple of days ago, then I had PC problem, so it looks as tho' Dan has beaten me to it on the point I was going to make:
    The Ford V6 is not a totally great engine for a Cobra. It's heavy, has limited power output, and is difficult to tune. Lastly it will never sound like a V8. When I had my old Sumo, with a standard Rover 3.5 V8 apart from mild cam upgrade, I had a mate who lived locally who had built a Ford V6 engined Sumo. He had spent a fair bit on tuning his engine. My car would just walk away from his in a straight drag - power to weight was better.

So -as Dan says, unless you are really dying to use that V6, think again - even a standard Rover V8 would be better (and improve the handling due to less weight at the front). Your eventual ease of resale ( and price you get) would also be far better with the V8.

Just my 2 c's

Wilf

Crendon has left the building................bright yellow Stag has landed.

Thanks to all - I take your points chaps.
    I had been considering the Rover V8 for the reasons you give, and still am, I suppose, especially after what you've all said. It was/is just that the man at the scap yard is very friendly, and happens to have a number of Fords and no Rovers, as far as I can tell. I had punted around a bit, and he seemed the most helpful when I said the words kit car, as he has something out of Mad Max in a shed mostly complete. On the phone today he was getting quite enthusiastic about Cosworth this and that! I'll ask again about what's available, maybe he has a Rover stashed away too.
    Thanks again for this discussion - whatever engine I get, I rather expect to be back to ask more!

It very difficult not to get enthusiastic about Cosworth tuned engines :7

>It very difficult not to get enthusiastic about Cosworth tuned engines
    >:7

Oh I don't know about that....I used to have a guy working for me,who used to spend all night thrashing about in his "Two bobsworth"(cosworth)Sierra,and 4 hours on my time the next morning fixing it,so he could do it all over again the next night.
    "blown head gaskets,smokey turbos,broken gearboxes,broken propshafts,noisey diffs...no thanks".....Not to mention that the doors fall off Fords after 70,000 miles....He cost me a bloody fortune in lost man hours.
    x( x( x( x( x( x( x( x( x( x(
    ‚ÄčPro Cobra Builder
    DB427SC

DB REPLICAS
    Find us on Facebook
    db427.com
    Low Volume manufacturer of
    ALUMINIUM BODY, ROUND TUBE CHASSIS.
    ORIGINAL SPEC. SUSPENSION COBRAS.
    OEM style stainless SIDEPIPES

I don't find that difficult at all - "there is no replacement for displacement" is a great motto in my view!

Wilf
    Crendon has left the building................bright yellow Stag has landed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast