Page 25 of 28 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast
    Tiny hijack but, there's another one on eBay I notice: 1965 AC COBRA SHELBY BY KIRKHAM BUILT BY DEAN LAMPE | eBay

So .. who's going to be the next Crendon owner to buy this one? Kevin?
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

Quote Originally Posted by aaronjb View Post
    Tiny hijack but, there's another one on eBay I notice: 1965 AC COBRA SHELBY BY KIRKHAM BUILT BY DEAN LAMPE | eBay

I sorted the engine out on this when it arrived in this country, absolute nightmare of a car, I issued the owner with a disclaimer as I didn't think the car was safe to drive.
    Engine as actually a 408 but the carbs had never opened more than halfway the way it had been built (they do now )and more and more and more.
    American Kit Car magazine did a feature on it after it had been built, it was supposed to be the prototype 289 FIA Kirkham. If you search under the title "Hey Little Cobra!" you should find it, most of it's bollocks though.

Mike
    Last edited by mike huddart; 02-04-13 at 04:09 PM.

I would not entertain it unless you are under 5'4" tall. I had to MOT this car after MH did some engine work on it (Whoever built it hadn't got the throttle working properly at all) and the drivers seat does not move back far enough for even Mark who used to work for me to get in the thing let alone drive it.
    Pro Cobra Builder
    DB427SC

DB REPLICAS
    Find us on Facebook
    db427.com
    Low Volume manufacturer of
    ALUMINIUM BODY, ROUND TUBE CHASSIS.
    ORIGINAL SPEC. SUSPENSION COBRAS.
    OEM style stainless SIDEPIPES

Is this the car that was raffled off in Ohio for charity at a "Spring Fling" back in 2006 ish? If it is I advise it is left well alone.
    Crendon has left the building................bright yellow Stag has landed.

Quote Originally Posted by wilf View Post
    Is this the car that was raffled off in Ohio for charity at a "Spring Fling" back in 2006 ish? If it is I advise it is left well alone.
    'kit I wont buy it then ...
    Regards Steve

Crendon #22

452cu FE with top loader

Quote Originally Posted by aaronjb View Post

... wish i had the spare folding.... but I def wouldnt spend it on that particular car.
    Bit overpriced imho.
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
    ... wish i had the spare folding.... but I def wouldnt spend it on that particular car.
    Bit overpriced imho.
    Difficult to say I suppose; it's a lot less common than a 427 Kirkham, so much harder to value; like everything, it only needs one person with the cash I suppose!
    I wouldnt be surprised if one of the guys running 289's at events like Goodwood buy's it to sort; better than risking a more valuable original??

There's a bit more info and pics here Kev if you've not already found it.. 1964 FIA Cobra Hybrid - Kit Car Magazine

Cheers
    Steve
    Regards Steve

Crendon #22

452cu FE with top loader

I don't know who Dean Lampe is but apparently he built and then raced it over several years so you would think it should be a pretty well sorted Cobra. Other people seem to think that might not be the case, would anyone like to expand on what problems the car actually has ?

CONTEMPORARY CCX3-3741

FORD RACING DIVISION 515ci
    JERICO WC4 (Sold)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cGUj87r9bY

As I said. it is un drivable by anyone over 5'4" tall.
    I think when MH got it the throttle would not operate past 50% due to there just not being enough range in the linkage set up.
    This was not good as the engine has a very big cam and ran shit low down (the only place it could run with the linkage it had).
    Once he manufactured some new linkage parts it easily made a good 500hp, but unfortunately was un drivable by anyone approaching human size.
    I think MH made the owner sign a disclaimer regarding using the car on the road due to some things he was not happy about regarding safety.
    For some reason it had rear tyres on the front, even though the wheels on the front were the usual narrower ones. The steering must have felt like you were driving a blancmange.
    If it had been raced it would be good to know what it raced against and what position it finished in.

My job was to get it MOT'd and arrange delivery.
    Pro Cobra Builder
    DB427SC

DB REPLICAS
    Find us on Facebook
    db427.com
    Low Volume manufacturer of
    ALUMINIUM BODY, ROUND TUBE CHASSIS.
    ORIGINAL SPEC. SUSPENSION COBRAS.
    OEM style stainless SIDEPIPES

Thanks for that Dave, I was wondering what problems a car being advertised for £100k could have. I think the lack of legroom is probably down to the position of the bucket seat, from the photos it looks to be quite far forward.

Do you remember what type of suspension it had, Kirkhams own billet style or something different. I assume that if you gave it an MOT you had a poke about underneath it.

Dave I was also wondering if you built a Cobra for me in 1990-91, it was black with red stripes and had a big block ford engine. You would remember it because it was supposed to be a Dax but it wasn't and the build was a real pain in the arse. Sorry I am being a bit vague but my memory is now dulled due to a lifetime of drinking Scotlands finest malts .

CONTEMPORARY CCX3-3741

FORD RACING DIVISION 515ci
    JERICO WC4 (Sold)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cGUj87r9bY

Page 25 of 28 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast