Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sumo Mk3 engine bay size

Right all, I'm new to the forum so I'll introduce myself... Hi, I'm Simon and soon I'll be building a Pilgrim Sumo (and I already have a couple of questions which I hope you can help with!).

I am (hopefully) going to be creating the rare breed of sumo which has a cosworth v6. I've been speaking to David from the forum who has the 24 valve granada cosworth in his mk2 sumo and he's been very helpful. I know that it fits in a mk2 because he's got one but I was wondering whether anyone could give me any information on the relative size of the mk3 sumo's engine bay? I know that for the mk3 revision Pilgrim reinforced the chassis and I doubt that they made the engine bay any smaller than that of the mk2. Does anybody know any different to this, if not I'll assume it will fit and carry on.

Secondly, I've seen a donor car complete with the cosworth v6 which I'm very interested in but the owner says that the engine isn't the original that came with the car. Is this likely to cause me any trouble when I apply for an age related plate or should it be okay? I haven't seen the v5 and for all I know the numbers might have been updated to match - is this important?

Thanks in advance

I can't help you with your engine bay question but with regards to the engine in the donor I guess as long as the V5 does state the correct engine number (i.e the engine in the donor car) then you will be OK.

There is some info on the web with regards to the size of a Rover v8 (maybe on the RPI web site). Using that info you could then measure your V6 lump and work out whether it will fit.

Welcome to the forum by the way and I'd just like to say that you have chosen a great car to build! (The best by a long way )
    This forum has a high proportion of people that lack basic manners.

Hi Simon,

I'm glad that Sidecarbod has joined in early as his knowledge is way more than mine on this issue.

One thing though is that I have never found an engine number on a BOA, so you may get away with this. If you do find an engine number pls let me know where it is.

Cheers, David
    David (AKA Firestarter29)

Lead, follow, or get out of the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Firestarter29 View Post
    Hi Simon,

I'm glad that Sidecarbod has joined in early as his knowledge is way more than mine on this issue.

One thing though is that I have never found an engine number on a BOA, so you may get away with this. If you do find an engine number pls let me know where it is.

Cheers, David
    Hey don't pin your hopes on me making any sense!

Hi Simon, would it not be worth a call to Pilgrim? surely in the event of comparison, they could give the best answer.
    C an
    O nly
    B e
    R eal
    A drenalin
    Sumo, 4.2 RV8..... Edelbrock

Didn't someone on here put a big block in their Sumo ?

Quote Originally Posted by TINKA View Post
    Didn't someone on here put a big block in their Sumo ?
    Don't Know about a BB but I'm sure Mark Evans put a small block in his and that's got to be a lot bigger then the Cossie.
    Kiel and Duncan (dad and the lad errr young man now)

AHP Crendon Chassis No 1
    Ford FE 434, dual quad, Toploader total old school all the way
    https://www.crendonreplicas.com/
    http://www.absolutehorsepower.co.uk/

The problem with the Cossie is that I believe that it has overhead cams which makes the heads much bigger than the heads on a push rod engine. Cossie lumps aren't my 'thang' so I could wrong!

In the Mark Evans video he shows a V6 fitted to a Sumo I have the Chevy small block in mine and it s very tight lengthways and needs a steel cased steering rack, P100 I believe, which is slimmer than the normal Sierra one. The Chevy needs a slim fitting pancake air filter to get under the bonnet .

Ian

Hi All, sorry it took me so long to get back, for some reason I've been having trouble posting from work!

thanks for the replies and Stu I'll certainly be giving Pilgrim a call and will post an update once I have (I emailed them a week ago but I know that really I should call!)

Thanks Sidecarbod I'll check out the RV8 dimensions. the Cologne block fits and I believe the bottom end is identical to the cos so that's the bottom end in but as sidecarbod says the head is apparently bigger. As a worst case scenario I saw a pilgrim driver has fitted a larger scoop from another make (a Dax?) which might be possible so hopefully it should at least be do-able and just a matter of seeing what occurs.

Regarding the engine number I've been reading peoples' horror stories about over zealous dvla inspectors and think that I should set out ensuring that this is well documented from the start and I've read that the major components need to be from the same vehicle if you're to be issued an age related plate so I think I'll look for another donor on the off chance that this proves to be a headache further down the line. David I saw this somewhere else:

"Had a look this afternooon - firstly normal cologne engines have the engine
    number on the right side of the block (looking from the front) just forward of
    the engine mount, it's the essex that has it on the top of the block at the
    back.

The 24v engines have the number stamped on the right hand rear end
    of the block, just below the head. autofive kindly took a picture to illustrate
    which I will post when he emails it to me. Bad news is you absolutely cannot
    read this number on an engine that is already in the car"

(http://retrorides.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=techni&action=print&thread=109045)

which might explain why the engine number's so hard to see. If the inspector is going to want to see this I think I'll need a lot of photographs to try and keep them happy!

Thanks again I'll let you know what pilgrim say

cheers

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast