Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Daryn Smith View Post
    Laugh...I nearly bought a television license!

Power cuts?...Now we can hardly afford power!
    3 day week?...Now all we have is part time 3 day a week jobs
    Constant militant striking unions?...Now we have swapped it for constant military wars!
    Massive waste in publicly owned businesses?....Is that older version of PFI's
    That diatribe isn't even worthy of a response.

Quote Originally Posted by Daryn Smith View Post
    Laugh...I nearly bought a television license!

Power cuts?...Now we can hardly afford power!
    3 day week?...Now all we have is part time 3 day a week jobs
    Constant militant striking unions?...Now we have swapped it for constant military wars!
    Massive waste in publicly owned businesses?....Is that older version of PFI's
    Erm... She did stand down a whole 23 years ago!

Margaret Thatcher - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Oh crap...the wife has realised there is no such thing as a 5 minute job !

I didn't say it was "right" now, but even with the left wing induced problems we have, it's still better than the early 70's.

Bought your own house have you?
    Own a nice car do you?
    Have all the gadgets at home eh?
    Use your computer whenever you like, not just when the power is on?

I was only a kid at the time but I remember the power cuts.
    I remember my Dad going to work in the middle of the night so that he wouldn't get caught with the press running on a day he should have been closed.
    If only Maggie had sorted the print unions out before she had to leave......

We still have a better standard of living now than back then.
    Not all down to MT, but someone had to get the ball rolling as we were going nowhere.

I accept that some of the waste in Nationalised companies has been replaced by shareholders dividends, but at least you can be one of those shareholders if you choose.
    Publicly owned companies don't work. Ask the Russians, they know.
    2003 Dave Brookes Dax 350ci Chevy SB.
    2008 Crendon 462ci Ford Sideoiler No.43
    2012 Crendon 351ci Ford Cleveland No.24
    2019 Crendon 445ci Ford FE No.66

Cold war ended, and removing trade union strangle holds hold on the country were net ticks.
    She was the first female premiere, that has to count for something, although i believe she didnt much care about it.

She deserves a decent funeral for these things.

But she divided the country roughly in half.
    Many ordinary poorly educated working people (not the lazy trotskiests charicatured in half baked press stories) had lives very badly affected.

The council house sell off, whilst benefitting the few of that generation, contributed to the current housing crisis. That, and the subsequent abolition of the fair rent tribunal has now meant that millions of pounds of tax payers money goes straight into the pockets of private landlords of poor quality housing, as the bottom end of the housing market has been stripped out.

Given that parliamentary eulogies to Winston Churchill, arguably our greatest PM, who DID unite the country, and saved us from Nazi oppression, lasted 45 minutes, I thought todays 'debate' was pure tory indulgence, and a total waste of tax payers money, which the Lady herself would heartily have disapproved of.

Personally I totally resent the cost of the military state funeral, and the mutterings about publishing the costs 'later'.
    A funeral in Westminster - fine. Elevating her to the status of dead Royal, i find objectionable.
    The Lady would also have disapproved.
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

Quote Originally Posted by jonny m View Post
    Erm... She did stand down a whole 23 years ago!

Margaret Thatcher - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Fatboy made a comparison of the 70's run UK, I made of a comparison of the 80's run UK.

Your point being?

Kevin, I agree with what you say.

But....... ..... I suspect the low end housing crisis is more to do with the subsequent governments lust for high house prices which made people feel more wealthy (artificial of course).
    Those council houses that were sold off should have been replaced by building new council houses I believe. They were also sold off too cheaply.
    The current plan to make better use of the housing stock is a half hearted mash up as always. If the councils ran their housing like a business then they wouldn't have such a missmatch of tenants.
    Over crowded houses on one hand with under use on the other. Just assess the needs of the tenant and place them in the approriate property. What is so hard about that?
    2003 Dave Brookes Dax 350ci Chevy SB.
    2008 Crendon 462ci Ford Sideoiler No.43
    2012 Crendon 351ci Ford Cleveland No.24
    2019 Crendon 445ci Ford FE No.66

I admired her I suppose for many of the things she did but, the Falklands did put her back in when she would have probably gone and on the subject of selling off the industries it just goes to show how politicians have never changed. Many of the public companies went into money making businesses overnight when the fingers were removed from the till. Either way and there's lots to cover, those celebrating a death left a bad taste in my mouth yesterday

Thatcher did sell of the housing to cheap in my opinion however more housing was built under thatcher than under Blair also the last labour government before thatcher had got themselves into so much trouble there were thinking of selling off housing assosaiotions to business to try and raise more cash. All Thatcher did was use there idea to help the small man rather than big busness .

If you think of the mess the country was in when she started I think she did a sterling job. Perfect? Certainly not, but so far beyond what any of our modern day politicians would have been capable of in the circumstances. The last British PM to recognise that her real responsibility was to drive the country forward rather than do anything to get back in power.

She deserves a state funeral.
    Lloyd B
    Current: Crendon #54 in build - 427 Side Oiler/Cobrajet Heads/Dual 600cfm Holleys/4 speed toploader/Vintage cast knock on wheels
    Dedion Dax/Clarkson 383 Chevy with roller 4/7 swap cam, AFR195 heads - SOLD

All interesting points.

One thing that is worth putting right; 1970's power cuts.

They were not, in the main, power cuts because of industrial action.
    It was the heyday of IRA activity, and they targetted HV pylons, got quite good at bringing them down.

Thats where most of the power cuts came from.

An awful lot of stuff happened around that period that was kept out of the media to prevent the public getting alarmed and stimulating mass panic buying etc, as a result water supplies became heavily monitored, and general utility security was massively reinforced.
    Regards Steve

Crendon #22

452cu FE with top loader

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast