Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I seem to remember this very same conversation a few years ago. For most of us, Sunday is the only day we can get off to use our cars.
    Last edited by Purple AK; 16-04-13 at 10:31 PM.
    Chris
    Ex AK427 351Cleveland T5WC

Quote Originally Posted by Purple AK View Post
    I seem to remember this very same conversation a few years ago. For most of us, Sunday is the only day we can get off to use our cars.
    Like I said earlier I'm really not going there again. The only reason for me starting this post was to see what had happened over the last few years even more so now that it appears the grasshopper is no longer going. Without getting into a row Chris which I am NOT going to do the one thing that seems odd is that if a Sunday is the only day that most can use there cars then why is the grasshopper dead and there appear to be very few if any meets. That was the only reason for my post not to rake up old ground...
    Gareth

Seriously modified Sumo with a Ford 363. SOLD. Now building a Mercury Cyclone Spoiler.

Hi Gareth,
    It's worth pointing out that the Grasshopper meet is still going albeit at lower numbers than a few years ago.

FYI - last year I posted a message to ask people what they wanted me to do different - to organise more runs, different venues etc....but unfortunately I got very few responses. If we have a number of members who would return to the regular meets if they were done in a different way then I'm happy to try. Unfortunately I cannot easily organise many meets in your neck of the woods as it is a long trip from my area and so along with work commitments makes evening meets very difficult. As I said before I would be happy to arrange either an occasional alternate venue for the monthly meets, or additional weekend get togethers or runs, particularly in the summer months, if we have the interest for this.
    Steve

Mk. 4 GD / SBC383 Performer RPM / TKO600 / Big grin...

Speaking personally, the best things about the (SE) meet for me were/are: (1) The gathering together before the 40-odd mile trip to Westerham. This was at the Little Chef in Uckfield (now sadly gone) where we could have a relaxed breakfast and then a convoy up to the meet. I think the the most we had were 5 cobs and it was great to be in a line of cobs going through the Sussex countryside up to the meet. (2) The gathering at the Grasshopper, meet up with old friends and making new ones, a quick kick of each other's tyres (metaphorically speaking) and then (3) the convoy to the Ide Hill pub and then parking up and drowning out the noise of the TVRs, Ultimas, Lotuses and any others that were there, settling down for a drink and a bite to eat. Joining the Goodwood meet whenever it falls on the same day as ours or the occasional foray north of the river into the wilds of Essex were also great fun. In a nutshell, driving the car, preferably in a group, for a decent run-out, food and/or drink then a blat home are the main reasons for me to attend the meet - a full day out. Unfortunately, the piss poor weather put a damper on this activity and family commitments just get in the way! The thing I disliked about the meeting was arriving at the Grasshopper, kicking tyres for an hour or so then everone going their own way because of other commitments. A couple of hours driving the cob is OK, but I can do that on the roads near me. I'm all for alternate venues and activities but realise that not everyone can/wants to do the same. I know we're all different and have different aims but that's my tuppence-worth.

Ken

reading what everyone has said i would suggest a format simular to that of the guys from hampshire where they have outlined the year, even down to a venue for christmas
    whilst not everyone can attend every fixture at least you can plan the ones that fit around other commitments

Steve, I understand what you are saying that if no one is interested or replies your hands are somewhat tied. Equally I undererstand your point about distance to travel from where you and others are to say Maidstone BUT equally anyone over here has exactly the same problem. It might not be that far in milestone? but it's all roads stuck behind bloody traffic. That coupled with basically using an entire Sunday to basically stand in a car park did and maybe still does put some people off. I believe Ken sort of made that point in his post along either a few other very valid points. That is all partly why the old midweek meet was arranged in Maidstone of an evening as it was considerably more central in general then the grasshopper and being just of the M20 a little easier for most to get to especially those in North, Mid and South Kent and to a degree South London. Having said that I'm not sure that reviving the Maidstone meet would work these days as I'm not sure how many are still around now. If enough were interested then maybe something could be sorted out or maybe there could be alternative meets that may work out better all round and maybe attract more people. To be honest all I'm doing is throwing some ideas about and see what response is like.
    What about somewhere like Santa Pod for a weekend or something. Years ago I remember going to the Chelsea cruise on a Saturday night or to the gathering at Lakeside...are any of them still going.
    I personally don't mind travelling a bit if it's all worthwhile and it's not in the middle of the day work etc permitting.

Deff planning to do the chelsea cruise soon this month is 70's revival
    Sumo, modified

Quote Originally Posted by steve_h View Post
    Deff planning to do the chelsea cruise soon this month is 70's revival
    Now that is something worth trying to organize...
    Gareth

Seriously modified Sumo with a Ford 363. SOLD. Now building a Mercury Cyclone Spoiler.

Must be great to be in a region!

Jeremy
    It's official! British weather has been declared Muslim.
    It's partly Sunni but mostly Shi'ite.

Hi All,

I have just been reviewing some old threads and read with interest this one concerning the revival of the SE Region.

A number of new members since 2013 have been trying to do just this and have created a spread sheet of interested parties wishing to meet up and have attended a few events this year.

View http://www.cobraclub.com/forum/south...-database.html and add your name.
    "Lola" my Dax Tojeiro 427 Ford 351w FMX 3sp Auto, 350bhp+
    Now with MSD EFi + Atomic ECU

Paul from Dartford, Kent

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast