Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Edelbrock 1404 - fuel perculation - yes i know its been discussed to death, however..

Hi all,
    I have the problem above since for ever, the last straw was arriving for MOT, turning engine off, then nearly draining the fully charged battery 5 minutes later to get it on the ramps.

I know a phenolic spacer is likely to fix the issue... However I don't have bonnet clearance even for the spacer.

Looks like proper phenolic ones are 1" minimum thickness, the 6mm ones seem to be the gasket/ally stack combination.

Basically my carb "hat" is a low as can go, in fact rubs on the bonnet.

So i need a solution for fuel perculation where i cant fit a spacer in.

solutions i can think of:

1. remove the offy 360* manifold 4bbl adapter plate, replace it with a phenolic spacer that's tapped for the bolts. - material may prevent tapping.
    2. lose the carb and go for custom low IDF throttle body injection - (4 barrels again suffficient) with custom manifold.
    3. fab up a long elbow runner to get a DCOE on there out front somehow - crazy?

Any avice much appreciated as usual

Martin

What about an electric fuel pump? This should prime it up after a stop.
    Andrew
    A S motorsport Ltd. 01379 688356 mob; 07909531816 web; asmotorsport.co.uk email \"andrewsoar@yahoo.com\"

do you have a dropped base air cleaner fitted?
    Gone over to the darkside with a TVR Chimaera but really enjoying it. Not unlike the cobra but a bit more practical.

Andrew, yes i have a silver top pump below the tank, with a regulator close to carb.
    no drop base cleaner, a custom rough weld up plenum i made, whith pipe to frome freeflow filter.
    hmmm, cant seem to upload pic of it, get an error 406.

add photos to flicker or similer and link on this post
    Sumo, modified

If your electric fuel pump is properly set up, it won't run until you have oil pressure. (safety issue) What you need is an over-ride switch (momentary contact) to put power onto the pump with the engine stopped to let you fill the carb bowls when the fuel has evaporated.
    Crendon has left the building................bright yellow Stag has landed.

Martin what engine combi is this? Dave

3.5 rv8 /offy 360/edelbrock 1404/edis 8 ignition/block huggers.
    fuel pump is already on a switch so runs as soon as ignition on before starting so can wait as long as req to fill bowls.
    gonna buy an ir thermometer to check temps for rad/carb/manifold/ambient once fully warm.

aJWR inlet seems lower so may fit a phenolic using that. but want to try cheaper solutios first

With an electric pump you shouldn't need a phenolic spacer because the carb will always refill before you try and start up
    Chris
    Ex AK427 351Cleveland T5WC

Hmm, i see your point. i may need to rethink then, as if its not perculation/vaporisation then the only other possibility is the reverse of this isn't it? Where somehow the fuel temp is forcing fuel in the line into the floats and flooding?

Unless.. the bowls are so hot the fuel is evap on filling?

grr i dunno, this is why i'm here lol
    Last edited by gt6-v8; 15-04-13 at 06:54 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast