Sump protection idears

I have only had my cobra (pilgrim RV for five weeks but have already had a couple of bad encounters with speed humps including a rip in the sump today now I need a replacement. Has anyone fitted a sump guard or skid rails? Any idears to reduce this issue???

I have a home made sump guard which is made up from two pieces of angle iron welded to 2 pieces of flat metal for the frame and the actual plate is a piece of checker plate screwed to the framework. This allows the checker plate to be changed if it gets damaged too much. This is all bolted through the engine mount bolts onto the chassis. I had to fit this after I ground a hole in the leading corner of my sump grounding out on country roads through the dips and wallows of the roads.
    Cobra-less for the next few years, but I will be back

Would show you what I've done but not able too any more since upgrade. Basically I welded some 5mm plate steel to the bottom of my sump turning up the front edge to help it ride over anything it might hit. HTH
    Martin

351W 416.7 HP and 466.8 ft-lbs

Running Mega Squirt and Edis 8

Quote Originally Posted by TINKA View Post
    Would show you what I've done but not able too any more since upgrade. Basically I welded some 5mm plate steel to the bottom of my sump turning up the front edge to help it ride over anything it might hit. HTH

I did the same thing using stainless steel, it was around 3mm thick. Before doing this mod it is worth spending some time knocking the bottom of the sump back into shape if it has gone concave.
    I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent.

Rules for buying 'Go Faster' parts:-

If it's fast and cheap then it's not good.
    If it's cheap and good then it's not fast.
    If it's good and fast then it's not cheap!

Range Rover sump is around 6mm, or so, shallower and found that I could raise the engine by around 25mm to gain additional clearance, before the pancake filter touches the underside of the bonnet.

Generally, gives enough ground clearance but I am still careful when going over anything large lumps etc.

Additionally, going over at a slight angle also helps.

Cheers
    Paul

on the dax 502 Chevy demo car I cut 1" off the sump and oil pick up pipe and remade the bottom of the sump from 1/8" and added extra baffling
    camber compensation and anti roll. http://xcsdesigns.co.uk/

Thanks to all for info will get sump repaired and formulate a guard out of stainless.

It's a Fake......get over it!

I used flat bar welded front to back and kicked up at front on the kicked out sump of my Chevy.

Not enough clearance really for a full on chequer plate type heavy duty item. I reason anything that helps you ride any low speed scuffs will do. Anything else, like what I did, is unlikely and I was just unfortunate. You need some 'give' sumps are easier/cheap to replace rather than having something so solid that it damages other components when it's ripped off.

yep agreed, either the car or engine is set far to low, fitting a sump guard is ok but also results in even less clearence, and could (as in my case) cause damage to the bellhousing, simple cost free answer is to raise the car up slightly, and/or raise the engine with packers, you need to aim for a minimum of 4 inches clearence