Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Electrical issue

This is a long shot asking for help regarding this.... But I'm seriously stumped now!!

AK gen 1 build.

Keep in mind everything electrical was working 100% with no issues.

I took off the offside exhaust and air vent to help access for adding some heat protection to the servo. I unplugged the dash and moved out the way just for safety.

Did the heat protection, and at the same time re-routed my clutch line (flexi hose) and re did the crimp terminals on the starter motor (I wasn't happy with how secure they were) everything back on and put together and did a quick run of the engine.

The engine started and ran fine, but the volt meter was only showing +13, where as it used to be +14??

second if I turn on my lights the side lights will come on, but no illumination of the switch, and the oil pressure, temperature and water temp all shoot up to full sweep and the power gets cut from the speedo and taco?? If I then go to full lights nothing at all.

Third if I turn the heater fan on... No response from the fan, but again full sweep on the water/oil temp and oil pressure. And cuts the power to the speedo and taco?

If I try to use any of the wiper settings, the relays just buzz with no response from the wipers and strangely the taco jumps up bit by bit??

indicators are all working fine 100% as is the hazard switch, however if the hazards are on and you switch the heater fan on... Nothing everything stops?

I have gone through all the earth points and re-done a couple (just to be safe) and also using a fully charged battery?

this has really got me stumped now? Been working on it all bloody day and still no further forward. I know this is a daft thing to be putting on here as none of you know how I have wired the car, but its basically the standard AK loom and dash loom with only changes made to additional accessors (powered separately)

has anyone experienced anything like this before? It must be an earth issue surly as the gauges are reacting to the other devices, but I'm getting annoyed now with this crap.... Especially as it was all 100% with no issues.

just to add.

All fuse's pulled and checked along with all the relays? Only thing left to pull is my teeth and I'm considering that!!!
    Last edited by tommy-boy; 19-06-13 at 03:59 PM.
    It's alive!!!! Whahaha haha. I'v created a monster!http://tommysak427.blogspot.com..……Because I'm classed as young I am inferior, I must respect my elders, especially the ones with a full garage!!!

Have you checked the wiring behind the dash? earthing is one point, but if you have moved the dash, one wire may be adrift or contacting another?? dials can be wired in parallel, so this may start the snowball.
    C an
    O nly
    B e
    R eal
    A drenalin
    Sumo, 4.2 RV8..... Edelbrock

Tommy - Did you install a voltage regulator with your gauges, just a thought this hasn't packed up?

Barry
    AK Gen 1, SBC 350, 3.54PL Diff, Getrag - Build Start 03/09/2010 Passed IVA 01/09/2014 On the Road 01/10/2014

Cheers guys. Yes voltage regulator for three gauges

And I have been through the dash loom with a multi meter and all seems to be correct.

It just confusing to me how the wipers, lights and fan (3 separate circuits) are all affected. The only thing they have in common is the earth??

Seriously baffles me now.
    It's alive!!!! Whahaha haha. I'v created a monster!http://tommysak427.blogspot.com..……Because I'm classed as young I am inferior, I must respect my elders, especially the ones with a full garage!!!

It does sound like an earth problem with the gauges reacting like that
    Sumo, modified

Only thing I have removed from the car is a choke cable that was of no use. I might just run a wire from the carb to the chassis to see if that has any effect... But I can't see how?

Tommy, check the wiring positive feed from starter connection, I expect you have a couple of feeds from that point, I have just sorted a jumping tacho/misfire and it was a bad connection in that area, if you have redone a joint/crimp double check, it doesn't have to be adrift but if the connection isnt 100% you will have all manner of strange things happening on the dash. Dave

Have you had a good look at the connectors for the dash in case one or more of them has come loose from the connector. Silly suggestion but is there more than one connector for the dash and can they get mixed up at all or the wrong way around?
    Martin

351W 416.7 HP and 466.8 ft-lbs

Running Mega Squirt and Edis 8

I'm going to have my tea then go back out. Loosing my rag now.

All the terminals from the dash switches are tight and clean and all in situe as prior to the issues.

I will recheck my starter terminals and may drop some solder in to beef up the connections.

One thing that I have just noticed (now the sun has moved round) is that the dash illumination is not working with the sidelights either, but turn the fan on and all the gauges illuminate but no fan??

I used to like electrics!!!

Tommy,
    Try running a clean earth suppy to one of the earth terminals on the back of the dash. If the dash is alloy , it may have been using the choke cable as its earth supply.
    Jim

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast