Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Footwell butterfly heater control?

My car is one of the first Dax Cobras, and I've had it for about 28 years. Been all over the place in it, France, Germany, Italy, Austria, Holland, Switzerland, Luxemburg, and Scunthorpe. Only joking, I've never been to Holland. Anyway, after several engine upgrades, three broken gearbox rebuilds and 7 years in bits in the garage (the car, not me), I've decided to make an effort to put it all back together again in the near future.

The last refurb stalled when I failed to find a way to fit shut-off the butterfly valves to the footwells on the new heater I had decided to fit. And before I get accused of being a wuss, I can tell you that having the windscreen frost up on the inside at 3am driving through the French Alps is not conducive to seeing where you're going, and neither is looking like a Michelin man trying to keep warm with about four layers of clothing, and your wife's headscarf on. If you plan on using the car like that, then a heater is a must.

There it has sat with me head-scratching and finally losing all interest. So, in the hope that I can maybe rekindle enough enthusiasm to restart the process,has anyone got any ideas on operating the valves? I bought some Y-piece valves from NF Autos, but if there are any other solutions out there, I'm all ears. Electric servo, maybe? I just couldn't figure out how to come up with an elegant, manual solution.

Here’s a not very good picture of what the car used to look like, not the box of bits I currently own:-

not quite sure what you are after, a way of control air or water? CBS do a butterfly valve for the air ducting, i cant get on with their website im afraid, seems to take me ages to find what i can find in the book in seconds, so i would send for the catalogue if you can, however their butterfly valve i see listed as DEMY/25/38/50/60 ect, but they also have various water shut off and control solutions

Car Builder Solutions | Kit Car Parts, Tools and Accessories. Kit Car repairs and painting
    Last edited by cobracol; 30-06-13 at 04:30 PM.

Yes, it's the DEMY air vents I'm looking to control, 60mm diameter. I want to be able to turn them on and off when the heater is blowing air.

Sounds like I have just done something similar to what you are trying to do. I have 4 tubes coming off my heater, I have made a butterfly in each and then bought some model car steering servos the middle 2 are controlled together, and clear the screen the outer ones have individual servos and blow in the foot wells. This is controlled by a board a friend made and 3 switches under the dash to either open or close as required.
    Martin

351W 416.7 HP and 466.8 ft-lbs

Running Mega Squirt and Edis 8

I'd appreciate any details you have of the servo and board, sounds just the kind of thing I could use to solve the problem!

misread, thought you meant the valve in the water pipework

No worries, I'm hoping that Tinka will be able come back to me!

PM me your email address and I will send you some pictures and let you have what info I can.
    Martin

Quote Originally Posted by TINKA View Post
    PM me your email address and I will send you some pictures and let you have what info I can.

You're a star!

rainbowdemon427@yahoo.co.uk

cheers,

Ian

OK i will download some pictures and try and send them to you later tonight.
    Martin

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast