Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Holiday reading

Holiday reading

Hi chaps,

So having packed it and booked, we are about to go......just me and the good lady this year.

As she will be engrossed in some Jane Green romantic waffle, i will be needing some suitable motoring related reading.

Previous years have seen Billy Connolly's route 66, various Clarkson books and even some french battle stories, when in France.

So what motoring related stuff are you reading, Cobra related woukd be good, but anything fuel related woukd be good.

Thanks

John

John, sorry not car related (all mine are to big for the suitcase) I took a book on holiday last year that I have been going to read for at least 2 years, best book I have ever read, could not put it down, 'The Ice Man', true story about a mafia hit man.

Cheers John
    You never forget your first time !!!
    - the day you saw your first Cobra

Quote Originally Posted by slaphead View Post
    John, srry not car related (all mine are to big for the suitcase) I took a book on holiday last year that I have been going to read for at least 2 years, best book I have ever read, could not put it down, 'The Ice Man', true story about a mafia hit man.

Cheers John
    Thanks John, I will take a look.

If a fellow petrol head likes it, it cant be far wrong!

Richard Hammond's life story covering his accident. Very emotional read.

Here's two (if you havn't already read them).

The first is "Go Like Hell" by A.J. Baine and is excellent. The description of the Lemans race in the latter part of the book actually got my adrenaline running and my apocrines glistening:

The second, "Carroll Shelby's Racing Cobra" by Dave Friedman and John Christy is more or less a history of the Cobra and its racing drivers. Interestingly, John Christy seems to have credit for the idea of using the AC Ace by telling Shelby about it (needing an engine) over lunch.

Not sure if they are still printing these books, but they should be available somewhere, especially the "Go Like Hell" book.
    John

“A prudent person profits from personal experience, a wise one from the experience of others.”

Don't read much motoring so can only say TOYS was one to avoid, Jo Nesbo if you like a good gruesome thriller. Grisham's litigators wasn't bad, Baldacci Zero Day and Hour Game both good. If you like the war warrior than Leathers Spider series is okay as well. Always include a Rankin & a Connelly as well. Enjoy the holiday
    AK SOLD, gutted!! Wonder if I can get my fat a** in an Ultima

Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

The fastest indian - burt monro story

fab
    On On

Two of my favourite books....

Alex Roy (the chap who ran the police car liveried M5 on the modern cannonball run - his story leading up to his record attempt on the US coast to coast run.

The Driver: My Dangerous Pursuit of Speed and Truth in the Outlaw Racing World: Alexander Roy: Amazon.com: Books

And to go with it, the story of the actual Cannonball races in the 70's - I had no idea how much of the film was based on reality...

Cannonball!: Brock Yates: 9780760316337: Amazon.com: Books

Alex

Cool

Back from the Brink - the story of British Leyland by Michael Edwards
    CHRIS C - SW REP - Maisie (DB No.46)
    Diplomat and expert on French Motoring Tribunals

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast