Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What Type Of Sump Should I Use

Hi Guy's, as per a previous post I have had the sump repaired after bottoming it slightly on the road, but this is only a short term measure as I wish to replace the repaired sump for a new one and at the same time find a shallower sump to reduce the chances of catching it again. On looking to do this Real Steal have come back with a 1" shallower Moroso sump including, baffles and oil scraper etc for a cost of around £400.00. My question is do I need this high specification of sump, the engine is a stroked Chevy V8 and it wont be pushed hard on a track etc. If this is the standard solution that is fine, I just thought that I would ask what my options are before I make an uneducated move. Best Regards Rich

Just one question before you do anything what is the clearance of your bell housing compared to your sump ? On mine they are about level the bell housing having marginally more clearance. If the sump is higher than the bell housing then that could do a lot more damage if you caught something .

As regards the sump you mention perhaps it is over the top slightly but considering what damage could happen if the pickup was exposed and the cost of these engines its the same spec I went for.

Replacement Sump

Quote Originally Posted by TINKA View Post
    Just one question before you do anything what is the clearance of your bell housing compared to your sump ? On mine they are about level the bell housing having marginally more clearance. If the sump is higher than the bell housing then that could do a lot more damage if you caught something .

As regards the sump you mention perhaps it is over the top slightly but considering what damage could happen if the pickup was exposed and the cost of these engines its the same spec I went for.
    Hi Tinka, thanks for your feed back, at the moment the existing sump is 8 1/2" tall so making it quite a bit lower than the Bellhousing flange, this sump that I have been quoted is 7" tall so should help with the ground clearance. I will go with it, thanks for your constructive feed back. Regards Rich

there have been threads on here taking about cutting the bottom of the bellhousing to improve clearance too
    Sumo, modified

Before you rush out and buy anything, you must find out how deep your oil pump/oil pump pickup is. If you're using a high-volume pump, they have deeper gears than the standard ones. I ended up with a winged, trap-doored sump, but had to modify the oil pump pickup somewhat. I'll see if I can find some more info later on.

I used to have a sumpguard, but you're damned if you do, and damned if you don't. If you have one, you'll hit it for sure because it's lower than your sump. If you don't you'll hit the sump anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by chillidoggy View Post
    Before you rush out and buy anything, you must find out how deep your oil pump/oil pump pickup is. If you're using a high-volume pump, they have deeper gears than the standard ones. I ended up with a winged, trap-doored sump, but had to modify the oil pump pickup somewhat. I'll see if I can find some more info later on.

I used to have a sumpguard, but you're damned if you do, and damned if you don't. If you have one, you'll hit it for sure because it's lower than your sump. If you don't you'll hit the sump anyway!
    Most of these sumps now come complete with the pickup and dipstick, the one I bought also recommended a high volume oil pump. Mine was a conton sump so not sure if Moroso ones do as well.
    Martin

351W 416.7 HP and 466.8 ft-lbs

Running Mega Squirt and Edis 8

Been there, done that. I also have a Moroso 7" pan and it cost a pretty penny, but worth it for peace of mind. I used to have one of the deep winged pans (8" or 8.5"... can't recall) which left the sump hanging precariously low (~3" ground clearance). With the Moroso pan, the bellhousing is now the lowest point on the car. An added benefit of the Moroso pan is that its smaller capacity helps get temperature into the oil, which can be an issue in the cold weather we have in the UK most of the time. Cars with oil coolers must be running around with cold oil 95% of the time.

PS. The factory paint on Moroso pans is awful and flakes off at any given opportuntiy. I had mine powder-coated silver.
    2008 AK427
    497BHP 383 by Knight Racing Services

Replacement Sump

Quote Originally Posted by ian_uk1975 View Post
    Been there, done that. I also have a Moroso 7" pan and it cost a pretty penny, but worth it for peace of mind. I used to have one of the deep winged pans (8" or 8.5"... can't recall) which left the sump hanging precariously low (~3" ground clearance). With the Moroso pan, the bellhousing is now the lowest point on the car. An added benefit of the Moroso pan is that its smaller capacity helps get temperature into the oil, which can be an issue in the cold weather we have in the UK most of the time. Cars with oil coolers must be running around with cold oil 95% of the time.

PS. The factory paint on Moroso pans is awful and flakes off at any given opportuntiy. I had mine powder-coated silver.
    Cheers Ian, some good points, will go with the new Moroso 7", good point about running temp as mine also runs cool without a cooler, did you have to replace the dip stick and pick up etc as well as having the baffle plate and oil scraper. Regards Rich

You will need a new pick up although it might be possible to bend yours into the correct position but I doubt it.
    Martin

351W 416.7 HP and 466.8 ft-lbs

Running Mega Squirt and Edis 8

Quote Originally Posted by RichP View Post
    Cheers Ian, some good points, will go with the new Moroso 7", good point about running temp as mine also runs cool without a cooler, did you have to replace the dip stick and pick up etc as well as having the baffle plate and oil scraper. Regards Rich
    Yep, pickup is matched to the pan. Standard dipstick.. just fill with the right amount of oil and scribe appropriate marks on the dipstick.

PS. On my 383, I had to massage the baffle as the crank was just 'kissing' it.
    2008 AK427
    497BHP 383 by Knight Racing Services

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast