Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clutch.......

Clutch.......

Hi Guys

Got my engine running for the first time yesterday! Absolutely chuffed to bits and the DB Exhausts sound epic! Big day for me after a lot of hard work.

Bleeding the clutch today and seem to have a problem. The adjuster at the end of the slave is wound all the way back (slave arm short as poss) and there is little if no wiggle in the actuating arm for the clutch. I've bled the clutch and its moving basically at the same rate as the pedal travel. The issue is I can just get third and fourth (engages and i can hear the syncro spinning) but can't select first and second. Reverse and fifth will go in with a clunk so it feels like there is another bit of travel needed by the slave to fully engage the clutch. I did do a check and put it in first and then second before starting the engine and there is no movement in the car so it must be close.

How much play should there be at the clutch arm that you can move by hand? I'm thinking I could just use the adjustment in the end of the Slave to get the last bit of travel but don't want the clutch slipping normally.....?

Any thoughts?

Thanks

James
    My Dax Build Blog - http://mycobra.blogspot.co.uk

Mine used to slip like a bugger until I opened up the whole in the retaining washer inside the slave cylinder. Beforehand it was binding a bit. After this it had the full range of travel and worked fine. A thirty minute job at most.
    Dax de dion. 383 Stroker and EPAS for the wife. SVA PASSED. Bring on the summer!

Quote Originally Posted by southenddave View Post
    Mine used to slip like a bugger until I opened up the whole in the retaining washer inside the slave cylinder. Beforehand it was binding a bit. After this it had the full range of travel and worked fine. A thirty minute job at most.
    Did this cause it to feel heavy aswell?
    Matt
    Club supporter
    Dax De Dion / 383 SBC 465bhp
    IVA passed 16/4/13, Registered and on the road 24/4/13!

Quote Originally Posted by southenddave View Post

I noticed tonight that the slave arm doesnt go all the way back in when i release the clutch pedal. If i pull the clutch arm back by hand the slave rod goes back another inch or so and there is a bit of free play in it then. Is this the same as you experienced?

Quote Originally Posted by Blainey View Post
    I noticed tonight that the slave arm doesnt go all the way back in when i release the clutch pedal. If i pull the clutch arm back by hand the slave rod goes back another inch or so and there is a bit of free play in it then. Is this the same as you experienced?
    Either the rod is binding as Dave said, Or you still have air in the system. Pull the arm right back, pressure bleed it, and see how it goes from there.
    Chris
    Ex AK427 351Cleveland T5WC

Quote Originally Posted by Purple AK View Post
    Either the rod is binding as Dave said, Or you still have air in the system. Pull the arm right back, pressure bleed it, and see how it goes from there.
    Will do.

Thanks Chris

You wont get the clutch to work correctly unless it has full movement, depending on your set up the movement on the clutch can be minimal, so it important to get this right, you need to push the rod back hard (against hydraulic then extra spring pressure) into the slave as far as it will go, only then adjust the rod to take up the slack, when done there should be very little free play in the push rod
    Last edited by cobracol; 18-07-13 at 08:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cobracol View Post
    You wont get the clutch to work correctly unless it has full movement, depending on your set up the movement on the clutch can be minimal, so it important to get this right, you need to push the rod back hard (against hydraulic then extra spring pressure) into the slave as far as it will go, only then adjust the rod to take up the slack, when done there should be very little free play in the push rod
    OK had a play Col and did exactly as you suggest. It now goes into all gears well enough. First is a little stiff though - is this normal as Ive never driven one before? Also reverse goes in with a small clunk that just rotates the prop shaft very slightly about a couple of mm.
    Last edited by Blainey; 18-07-13 at 03:42 PM.

Glad it worked for you, you could try and adjust/lengthen the rod a little bit more, as it does sound like the clutch is not fully disengaging, not too much though as you dont want the clutch to slip in use, i should say both my cars (Cob & Mondeo) occasionally can be reluctant to go in first or reverse, so perhaps its not that unusual

If it is a bit reluctant to go into first and reverse what is the tick over speed set at ?
    Martin

351W 416.7 HP and 466.8 ft-lbs

Running Mega Squirt and Edis 8

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast