Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Can't sell the cobra - any useful advice or tips?

Hi all

I've had my cobra (AK Sportscars - 3.5l V8 ) for sale for a couple of months now and simply cannot get it sold. I can't even get people to come view it although I've had lots of offers online, but none that I could accept. The car is immaculate, starts first time, runs beautifully and had just been MOT'd when I put her up for sale (no work - first time pass, same as last year).

It is significantly cheaper than any other comparable AK that I have seen advertised. I keep comparing it to others that come up for sale and can't believe the price difference between some. I get emails saying 'I want to buy your car but it is in Glasgow and I am in London / South Coast / France / Kent...' but surely that isn't the only reason? It's £100 for a return flight, max.

Mine is £18k (just reduced again to £17.5k in the last day or so) - and the next cheapest on Pistonheads is £22.5k (with 5.7l Chevy engine to be fair), but another one is £25k also with a 3.5l Rover engine. The engine bay in mine is show-car condition, comes with full wet weather gear and an interior that was replaced 2 years ago, and yet I have seen poorer examples come up and sell within weeks.

I guess the responses will say lower the price and 'it's only worth what someone will pay' but it is so frustrating as I did all my research before buying and expected the value to hold. Over 10,000 page views on eBay and at least 20 people saying they will fly to Glasgow to buy it, but then decide not to because they don't want to spend money on a flight. I'll pay your flight! You're getting a cheap car!

Mine: Used AC Cobra 427 replica by AK Sportscars V8 for sale - PistonHeads (Ref 1489023)
    Comparable year and engine: Used AK 427 Cobra Replica for sale - PistonHeads (Ref 1329891)
    Next cheapest AK available: Used AK SPORTS CARS AK427 1998 for sale - PistonHeads (Ref 1485955)

Anyone know someone who is looking? I don't know whether to re-list on eBay for a 4th consecutive time. I'm not sure I can handle the daily emails from timewasters! Have used Pistonheads and Car and Classic too, and also this site but got no emails through here.

Not sure what my next step is.

Liam

Speak to Warren re time taken to sell cobra, his took ages, but did eventually go - time wasters gallore apparently.

I think it means that you are also meant to keep it

Good luck either way

Gary
    Conny - A Carnival Red Metallic (paint code Ref: Jag CGG/1811) Southern Roadcraft V8 ( SRV8 ) with 383ci stroker chevy.

Thanks! I know, would be nice to keep it but I really just won't get much use and it seems like a waste.

Tempted to put her to eBay auction starting at £16k with no reserve, and just take what happens. Just not sure that will really help as people won't be able to come and view her so probably won't bid and I'll be back in this position. It's starting to wear me down a bit!

Thanks again

First thing pops out is why is it that much cheaper!? nothing wrong with it by the sound of it, but thats my first thought. (only cos im blanketing for a new tintop and ignore the low comparable priced ones). But there are some under exposed pics in the add which you should retake in the nice sun we have. Forget the distracting backgrounds, nice but that's not whats for sale.
    Would FaceTime or Skype be a good tool to offer instant video viewings providing you have a phone to do it with?

Just an idea.

Oh and don't ebay it. Buyers for these cars are few and and far so someone may be in a position to look and find yours in a few weeks time. Youre unlikely to get a good price in such a short sell time that eBay give, hang on in there. Unless your in a real rush.
    Last edited by shadow; 23-07-13 at 09:35 PM.

I wondered if it was now starting to look too cheap but I can't really increase the price back up so feel a bit stuck. It was initially on eBay for £19,200 as it could do with new rear tyres so I figured I would price it at £19.5k less a few hundred for that, and was hoping to get close to £19k. Got lots of interest but it is just the same thing over and over again - people on the south coast who aren't prepared to travel to view it - so I have reduced the price £500 a time and now find myself way below AK's own valuation of the car (£20k) but still can't sell.

Skype might be a good idea, hadn't really thought of that - thanks. I'd taken a video of it starting up, and it's been at a couple of shows here so I have photos of it in different locations.

It's been for sale now for 3 months and I've had one viewer... Although I wasn't desperate to sell I am so frustrated now that I just want it done rather than spending more time trying to get her sold.

I'd start afresh, new add with new pics in the sun and revise the price to a more comparable price! There doesnt seem any reason not to. There is a thread on here about taking pics of cars somewhere.
    Fit new tyres, and recoup that in the price, I wouldn't want to spend extra on it a week or month after spending £££££ on a car.

Remove negatives from the add, (HEAVILY REDUCED....in upper case too) (bulky folder with receipts for suspension....) keep it short and positive and informative.

Just my opinion from trawling my searches.
    Last edited by shadow; 23-07-13 at 09:49 PM.

Why not speak to Antony at absolute horsepower and see if he'll sell it for you for the right price plus his commission, may be easier??
    BIG TONE

Mercedes SL owner, definitely NOT a kitcar owner like you lot!

Liam

I think it will generally be a little harder to sell the car up here for various reasons, smaller population (less customers), weather not so good etc etc. Just as a thought- do you have any friends south of the border that would be willing to try and sell the car for you, or at least let people view it so as to avoid you paying a trader to do it?

Also I know you said you were busy but the Classic this weekend is probably a good bet. I noticed someone has tickets they aren't using so you would at least get a couple of tickets and an infield pass for club prices. Either that or try and get it out to a few more shows/events where there is some passing trade.

Another, possibly risky option- consider taking part ex, if you were selective and only offered trade price for the part ex (lots of private adds offer this) you may sell something a little more conventional on more easily.

Andy
    Andy
    Dax- 350 Chevy, Holley Carb - Loads of smiles to the gallon SOLD
    AK- 383 Chevy - Even more smiles to even more gallons

You could also have a chat with AK as they are having an open day in August this could be a good opportunity, to sell it plus Antony will probably be there if that is the way you want to go.
    Martin

351W 416.7 HP and 466.8 ft-lbs

Running Mega Squirt and Edis 8

Lack of side pipes probably counts against it given that most (esp. 1st-time) Cobra buyers want side pipes. Also, the colour (ie. not blue) might put some 1st-time buyers off. Not saying there's anything wrong with underlungs and a colour other than blue (my old Dax was pearl black with underslungs), but it just narrows the market even further.

I think the key with cars like this is to start advertising them well in advance of when you actually would like the car gone... just seems to take weeks (or even months) to weed-out all the timewasters, tyre kickers, etc, until you find a genuine buyer.

Time wasters and all the silly e-mail/text offers without seeing the car, or even so much as asking any questions, are all very trying... hard not to get worked-up with all the 'what's your best price' e-mails and 'what's the lowest you'll take'. Then there's the timewasters who actually come and view the car, then proceed to inspect it with a fine tooth comb... opening and closing doors 10-times whilst listening/looking intently (at what, I'm not sure!), finding the odd stone chip and making tutting/sighing sounds, etc, etc. Been there, done that. In my experience, the genuine buyers tend to be quite casual about the whole thing... they usually don't ask many (or any) questions, view the car promptly and don't take long to express a genuine interest in doing a deal once they see the car. It seems to be the buyers that take up hours of your time and want to examine every last nut and bolt and piece of paperwork that usually end-up departing with that classic line 'I'll think about it'.

Anyway, good luck!'
    Last edited by ian_uk1975; 23-07-13 at 10:47 PM.
    2008 AK427
    497BHP 383 by Knight Racing Services

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast