Iva Engine question

hi guys

just getting ready for the iva but i need an engine number.

i have put a ford small block in the car with a 1965 block which i can prove from the block casting number but i dont have an engine number as such.

can i just just make one up to identify it from this point on, or does it have to match a data base of something

hope some one can help

regards Andy

Hi Andy,

Making up engine numbers isn't a good way forward.

Casting numbers and stamped numbers are on the block why would you use anything else?

You will need someone to verify the age owing to silly sods flogging blocks with false numbers. I don't know who the current verifying people are but someone will be along to advise.

Good luck
    Stu

Hi Stu

where on the block is there a number stamped i have found the casting numbers but i cant find an identification number as such.

thanks Andy

The casting number, which you say you have found, is on the block behind the starter motor and shows the age of the block. The actual engine number wasn't stamped on the engine, but was on a metal tang which was attached by a bolt to the engine. This often becomes detached and lost over the years especially if the engine is worked on or rebuilt. A quick search show how to decode the casting number to show the year of casting. Small Block V8 (5.0): Casting number id and general info links - Updated 6-10-06 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums
    Cheers, Clive

(If I'm not here, I'm either in my new workshop or on the golf course!)

There probably wont be a stamped number if the block has been decked/refaced, but there should be a casting number.
    Ford engine blocks are usually aged from the engine casting number, so for example a 1965 small block will be C (1960 decade) 5 (for the year) then model designation from A (full size) to Z (Mustang) etc etc then it would have an E for 'engineering', so C5AE is a common block casting number.
    I understand that this is what the engine dating guys will look for, and not a stamped engine number.
    My understanding is that the blocks the IVA people are most wary of is small block Chevrolets because of the number of mexican blocks that were presented as earlier blocks; but everything needs dating now.
    David Clarkson was talking of getting approved to age engines for IVA purposes and he's not that far from you; drop him a pm 'clarkson' on here to see if he can do that?
    Regards
    Steve
    Regards Steve

I'm not sure you need an actual engine number for IVA?
    But you will need an official age confirmation from an approved source.
    I used Peter Knight at Knight Racing Services.
    I sent him pictures of the casting number and the engine in the car.
    Not cheap but you need it.
    Kev Davies
    South Wales Area Rep. UKCC Membership Secretary
    DAX Mk4, 383 Chevy Stroker, Tremec. SOLD
    Contemporary CCX 3-4028, 445ci Big Block FORD FE,TKO 600, Old School IVA'd and SOLD
    Dax De Dion LS2 and T56 IVA'd June '17 SOLD
    1965 Ford Mustang 289 Convertible FOR SALE
    In build- Hawk 289 Sebring

Hi
    i had my 289 engine date proofed by real steel. and they made up an engine number and stamped it to the block. to identify it was one they had looked at and for iva purposesi dont think were representative of anything else

I had an engine number on mine too but it wasn't a Ford one, probably been put on during a rebuild over it's 50 years.
    Mine was two letters and 4 numbers.
    i.e. XY1234.
    It's stamped on the front of the block just below the front of the head deck face.
    Peter Knight referenced it on his paperwork too.
    Kev Davies
    South Wales Area Rep. UKCC Membership Secretary
    DAX Mk4, 383 Chevy Stroker, Tremec. SOLD
    Contemporary CCX 3-4028, 445ci Big Block FORD FE,TKO 600, Old School IVA'd and SOLD
    Dax De Dion LS2 and T56 IVA'd June '17 SOLD
    1965 Ford Mustang 289 Convertible FOR SALE
    In build- Hawk 289 Sebring

thanks Guys

you have all been a great help i will get on the case

regards Andy

Not sure about IVA bur I didn't have an engine number when I SVA'd mine. It is just blank on the v5
    Dax de dion. 383 Stroker and EPAS for the wife. SVA PASSED. Bring on the summer!