Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    If its not more than 7.5T, the limit is 70 on motorway. So even less sence of the 55ish limit. Prob something to do with H&S..... Sigh...
    I had great pleasure on correcting a numpty traffic officer who claimed I was speeding. (A couple of 7.5t trucks at work are pre limiter age). He couldn't really come back from the car after telling me he was going to do ID checks...
    I hate having to drive trucks, but my work equipment needs to be delivered somehow...
    So I understand the frustration of both car and truck drivers. Trying to overtake another truck doing 1 mph less, which takes ages to get past. Then the pain of drivers faced with 2 lanes of trucks.
    Last edited by shadow; 19-08-13 at 08:16 AM.

I was thinking about this thread on the way into work this morning whilst travelling up the M3.

It dawned on me that this is going to be a nightmare for the police to enforce, and is likely to be "unfair" if someone does get pulled for it.

What I mean by that is:

1. You hardly ever see marked police cars on the motorway (I am sure there are unmarked ones), so the coverage is quite low
    2. If they want to start using cameras, how can they use this technology to see if you have stayed in the middle or outside lane when you shouldn't have?
    3. By unfair, I mean that there are so many people that are not paying attention to this law, that if you do get pulled I am sure the policeman could have had his/her pick of vehicles to pull over, it was just unlucky that they picked you.

The issues of "if I was doing 70 in the middle lane, shouldn't those going faster be pulled" are really a null argument. The simple answer is yes, they should be pulled as well, but we are talking about 2 different rules, and while these new lane hogging rules seem to be in the limelight, they will be focused on, and it is generally accepted that police will not do anything if you are travelling up to 80mph on the motorway, even though they could if they wanted.

I think it is going to take a long while for this new focus on existing rules (and that is basically what this is) to sink in for everyone. I don't recall seeing anything about this apart from on this forum, so it hasn't been particularly well publicised (unless I have had my head stuck in a dark hole thinking about building my cobra, which is a very real possibility!).

Anyway, have a great Monday everyone, and remember to stay in the left lane......

Kit has arrived.....follow my progress here at my blog:
    http://marksak427.blogspot.co.uk

AK 427 Gen II
    Chevy SB 350
    Tremec TKO 600

Well.....that's the plan at the moment!

Welcome to the money pit......

Enforcing it will be the same as enforcing talking on the phone while driving, if you get cought......
    Maybe its a case of reminding/ making people aware that if your in the middle lane, and just sitting there with plenty of room in the adjacent lane for a mile or so, then its a tug! It may remind a few drivers of the rules now its been in the news. You'll always get those that don't give a fook, like those that talk on the phone or text.
    Police sit behind drivers for a period of time to assess if they are speeding, driving erratically, pissed, or not paying attention. They have the patients to make a decision and this new law will probably be tackled in the same way. It's not that hard.
    Overtake, and get back in.
    Sit there in a lane for a mile or more with nothing to over take then expect a tug. Same as mobile phone use!
    It's a rule in the high way code, has been long before mobile phones were an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by shadow View Post
    If its not more than 7.5T, the limit is 70 on motorway. So even less sence of the 55ish limit. Prob something to do with H&S..... Sigh...
    I had great pleasure on correcting a numpty traffic officer who claimed I was speeding. (A couple of 7.5t trucks at work are pre limiter age). He couldn't really come back from the car after telling me he was going to do ID checks...
    I hate having to drive trucks, but my work equipment needs to be delivered somehow...
    So I understand the frustration of both car and truck drivers. Trying to overtake another truck doing 1 mph less, which takes ages to get past. Then the pain of drivers faced with 2 lanes of trucks.
    Our horsebox is new enough to require the limiter. I think it has to be post 2001 to qualify.
    The old one we had would do 70mph easy, but I accept that it's probably safer to keep all lorries to 60mph max.
    Just don't see why the national speed law is different to VOSA law?

Aha, upon some research, it's an EU thing again!
    EU rules say lorries should be limited to 90kph which is 56mph........and we implemented it!
    So why can't we have 130kph motorway limits for cars then?
    2003 Dave Brookes Dax 350ci Chevy SB.
    2008 Crendon 462ci Ford Sideoiler No.43
    2012 Crendon 351ci Ford Cleveland No.24
    2019 Crendon 445ci Ford FE No.66

i cant see too much of a problem, and in all likelihood this will be used for the odd tug, or as additional charges in the event of a serious preventable 'accident'.

the speed cameras, manned and unmanned, can pick on a selection of drivers who are speeding. what the guy did/didnt do left right in front or behind you is irrelevant.
    if you did the crime, thats all that matters.

Motorway speed cameras can easily check which car has stayed in particular lane or changed lane. The only foreseeable difficulty is if there is not a complete video data stream showing the behaviour over a time period, as in the absence of data there will be a plethora of excuses offered up by lawyers.
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

When the first full UK dual carriageway was introduced, the A24 Box Hill in the 1920's the rule was invented 'keep to the left hand lane unless you are passing slower moving traffic'
    The 90 odd year old rule has never changed, and all the current media frenzy is about a change in enforcement, and is, as always a headline driven misrepresentation of the full story, which is too much trouble to explain in a newspaper article; dunno why anyone is surprised the media is mis quoting or stirring up a non story??????
    Regards Steve

Crendon #22

452cu FE with top loader

Move north of Perth...............no motorways!! Simples
    Best anti speeding device - a rear view mirror with a police car in it.
    A pedestrian - someone who thought there was still a couple of gallons in the tank.
    AK Chassis and body collected 12.12.14

...or even better the Isle of Man, no dual carriageways to get confused about, and when you pass the derestricted signs it mean just that!! Why do you think the TT is so busy every year
    Regards Steve

Crendon #22

452cu FE with top loader

Cannot understand why there are four pages of "discussion" here. There are NO new laws, there are virtually NO traffic cops to enforce the (totally adequate) ones we already have, and it is the silly season for the media. You all fell for it. Rule #1 Highway Code. "Keep left". End of.
    Crendon has left the building................bright yellow Stag has landed.

Quote Originally Posted by wilf View Post
    Cannot understand why there are four pages of "discussion" here. There are NO new laws, there are virtually NO traffic cops to enforce the (totally adequate) ones we already have, and it is the silly season for the media. You all fell for it. Rule #1 Highway Code. "Keep left". End of.
    I agree Wilf, no new laws, but there are new powers to enforce the current laws, thrown in with a myriad of misleading headlines and we end up with 4 pages of discussion!

I am very conscious of moving to the left at every sensible opportunity, so I really hope this causes all other numpties who seem to ignore this rule to do the same and drive properly!

Kit has arrived.....follow my progress here at my blog:
    http://marksak427.blogspot.co.uk

AK 427 Gen II
    Chevy SB 350
    Tremec TKO 600

Well.....that's the plan at the moment!

Welcome to the money pit......

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast