Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: freesat !!

freesat !!

Gentlemen, a quick thread this one, do any of you have freesat in your homes ?, if you do, please leave me your opinions if its worth installing it. Many thanks.

Cheers John
    You never forget your first time !!!
    - the day you saw your first Cobra

Not personally but a mate has it. Cost him dear, but you do get HD, a few channels that you can't get on Freeview and the facility to record. Aldi are doing a complete kit for £59.99 atm
    Chris
    Ex AK427 351Cleveland T5WC

Yes. We have had a Humax Freesat HD receiver / hard disk recorder for about 3 or 4 years and it's excellent. No subscription fees so it's paid for itself several times over. I'd highly recommend it.
    Henry
    'I tell you, we are here on earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.' Kurt Vonnegut
    DAX DeDion Chevy 350ci

We also have a Humax box that I bought as soon as they became available with PVR,. This was some three or four years ago.
    As Henry said it is a good bit of kit.

I haven't looked into the reasons, maybe others will know, but the Freesat receiver doesn't appear to receive a good number of channels that are also available from the usual satellite. I also have another Digital Satellite Receiver, Not Freesat, that receives quite a few additional foreign and English speaking channels. Interestingly some channels such as Quest are listed as pay channels and encrypted on this receiver but are in fact free on the Freesat receiver.

Denis

If you take something to bits often enough, eventually you'll have two of them......

GD427E039

I've got the Humax Freesat HD box also and it is a great bit of kit with full programming and recording facilities. I cancelled my Sky subscription when I started my car build and that has saved over £2k so far, which gone towards the build. Downside is that I occasionally miss having Sky Sports, but I can live with that. I would recommend it. John
    ​AK 427 with Chevy 350 SBC by CP&P - Registered January 2013

I have a Sky box that's now become a Freesat box (because I gave up paying Mr Rupert his princely sum) and no concerns here; my parents also had a Freesat box because, at the time, it was the only way for them to get a TV signal (besides Cable) as they lived in the bottom of a big dip. They, too, had no concerns.. reasonable range of channels (more than enough for them) and only occasional signal problems in high wind or snow.

Myself I tend to lose signal in heavy rain - any trees between the dish and the satellite will heavily attenuate the signal when wet, so that's worth bearing in mind. Snow is a given regardless and high winds can, if the dish is a bit loose, cause problems.
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

Newton Abbot, Devon, UK. (God's waiting room)
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronjb View Post
    I have a Sky box that's now become a Freesat box (because I gave up paying Mr Rupert his princely sum) and no concerns here
    I thought about cancelling Sky and using the box just for Freesat, but I like the record pause and rewind facility which you have to pay Mr Murdoch £10 a month for the privilege.

Just looking at the purchasing the Humax HDR 1000s with the Freetime EPG.
    Mike
    Cobraless

I've often been asked, "What do you old folks do now that you're retired?
    Well, I'm fortunate to have a chemical engineering background, one of the things I enjoy most is turning beer, wine, Scotch and margaritas into urine.

Life's good, live it.

Quote Originally Posted by oglyoodoo View Post
    We also have a Humax box that I bought as soon as they became available with PVR,. This was some three or four years ago.
    As Henry said it is a good bit of kit.

I haven't looked into the reasons, maybe others will know, but the Freesat receiver doesn't appear to receive a good number of channels that are also available from the usual satellite. I also have another Digital Satellite Receiver, Not Freesat, that receives quite a few additional foreign and English speaking channels. Interestingly some channels such as Quest are listed as pay channels and encrypted on this receiver but are in fact free on the Freesat receiver.

Denis
    Freesat has it's own standards that most EU channels don't comply with, so a lot of the cheaper or earlier Freesat boxes won't pick up additional channels. A good Digital Satellite receiver should be able to cope with both though. You may also need a compromise on the dish position to get more free channels from slightly different satellites, or even a motorised dish.

Andi.
    http://picasaweb.google.com/andicole0 - http://andiscobra.blogspot.com/ - http://www.tomsrush.blogspot.com/
    Dax Tojeiro, Chevy 350, Tremec TK05, 3.54 Powerloc diff. MoT'd, SVA'd, registered, taxed and insured. Now with RAC cover, just in case
    Polishes to date = 7. Engines to date = 2. Seats to date = 4. Sold

Yes, I should perhaps have added to my post that I kept my free Sky channels when I installed the Freesat box by changing the LNB in the middle of the dish from a 1 channel input to a 4 channel (£10). Easy to do if you can get at your dish. Mine's at ground level, it does not need to be high up, just have an uninterrupted view of the satellite. I took 2 of the 4 cables to the Freesat box and can record 2 programmes at the same time, and another cable to the Sky box which I can also record at the same time. HTH John
    ​AK 427 with Chevy 350 SBC by CP&P - Registered January 2013

Newton Abbot, Devon, UK. (God's waiting room)
    Quote Originally Posted by JayKay View Post
    and another cable to the Sky box which I can also record at the same time.
    But you can't record on a Sky box without a subscription.
    Mike
    Cobraless

I've often been asked, "What do you old folks do now that you're retired?
    Well, I'm fortunate to have a chemical engineering background, one of the things I enjoy most is turning beer, wine, Scotch and margaritas into urine.

Life's good, live it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast