Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Hi Andrew,

You would fit the engine well before you fit the radiator, and if I remember correctly, the radiator isn't fitted until the body is back on. The Hawk build is pretty straight forward, and seems to be a lot easier than many other Cobra builds I have read about on here. As far as I know, there wouldn't be a problem lifting the engine out with my crane especially if the engine and gearbox were seperated first.

I would thoroughly recommend that you check out www.the289register.com If you go to the home page, and in the right hand column click on "Building and Servicing your 289", there is an excellent write up by Stuart Clarke which will answer most of your questions. Joining The 289 Register would be extremely beneficial too if buying a 289.
    Cheers, Clive

(If I'm not here, I'm either in my new workshop or on the golf course!)

I bought the type which you show on ebay, I paid £165 about 4 years ago. The Crane is good (I think it's a Clarke tool which is sold through Machine Mart), adequate reach for the car. The leveller which I initially thought was a bit mickey-mouse, actually did a good job for me, it just makes the whole alignment easier and this make s it a one man job rather than relying on a mate and brute force. I lifted the Lexus Engine and transmission, which must be about 350 kg with no issues. Thinking back, not sure how good the reach would be with the body on for that total weight though, but it was ideal when I was working on the chassis. The amount of times I used it during the build more than justified buying rather than hiring. I needed to make my own engine mounts and to get the alignment right took a few placement attempts. As with everyone, we all look back at the tools we've acquired throughout the build to see what was value for money. This is one of those tools that definitely worked for me.

Al

Thanks Al, Clive and Anthony - I reckon the SGS Engineering one is the way to go. Much appreciate your input on this!

While drunk one night I bought an air compressor from Just Off Base - which has turned out to be one of my least-used tools so far. I've only used to dry the heads after cleaning them of valve lapping compound. Since I'm unlikely to enter the car painting business, I kind of wish I had saved the money and bought a crane instead now!

also it seems private individuals are hiring on ebay too,might be local to you?
    maybe they'll work out a deal
    neil

You could do what I did - buy a Fordson Major, spend 3 years rebuilding it. Then buy a loader for it and spend a little time stripping that and sorting. Then you have to fit power steering to the tractor because the front end is too heavy with the forks and any load. After that strap a 6' RSJ to the loader arms (to give you enough extension to go right over the car from any angle), chain hoist on the end and hang the engine from that. Works an absolute treat...!
    www.sounds-legal.com - some have said we\'re mad!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyT View Post
    You could do what I did - buy a Fordson Major..... Works an absolute treat...!
    Nice!

After everyone's advice, I bought one - 180 quid from SGS engineering with a load leveller. Looks like a good bit of kit and blimey it's heavy.

I'll be lifting it onto my home-made test stand on Sunday, but but a deposit down on a Hawk 289 on Thursday, so I guess it won't be on the test stand for long...

Well done Andrew, guess I'll be welcoming you to The 289 Register soon.
    Cheers, Clive

(If I'm not here, I'm either in my new workshop or on the golf course!)

Bit late now but yes reach is important... The Clarke 2 tonne hoist I have won't put the engine in from the front with the body on, even on full extension. Works ok from the side but does make it a bit more fiddly.

It just dropped the engine in the Crendon chassis but was up against the steering rack. Not sure if a 289 would be different, can't see why?
    Lloyd B
    Current: Crendon #54 in build - 427 Side Oiler/Cobrajet Heads/Dual 600cfm Holleys/4 speed toploader/Vintage cast knock on wheels
    Dedion Dax/Clarkson 383 Chevy with roller 4/7 swap cam, AFR195 heads - SOLD

Lloyd - JK has a crane extension bar he sometimes loans to crendonistas for such issues
    see here
    gently does it.... mind figners - Cobra Club Gallery

Easy to make one.

Best make sure you have level ground otherwise it gets tricky with an FE dangling off the end
    Last edited by KevinW; 22-09-13 at 02:40 PM.
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

Hi Kev,

I did think about simply adding a longer box section, but on its current max reach its rated at 250kg so thought I was pushing my luck with an FE and top loader lol!
    Lloyd B
    Current: Crendon #54 in build - 427 Side Oiler/Cobrajet Heads/Dual 600cfm Holleys/4 speed toploader/Vintage cast knock on wheels
    Dedion Dax/Clarkson 383 Chevy with roller 4/7 swap cam, AFR195 heads - SOLD

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast