Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My Rover Vitesse or TVR 4.0Ltr

I have been toying for a while now about building a decent Rover motor. I have been offered a TVR 4.0 out of a Chimaera for £400. It is a runner and has 70k miles, owner swapped it for a 5.0ltr.

Trouble is that I don't know whether or not to go to the trouble of this 4.0ltr motor or wait for either a 5.0ltr motor out of a Griff or go for a 4.6 RR?

Also, will this motor be any better than the 3.5 Vitesse motor I already have?

Thanks Mark
    DAX with 4.6 RV8 re-built in 2014 using all new bits.

Quote Originally Posted by Dixie View Post
    I have been toying for a while now about building a decent Rover motor. I have been offered a TVR 4.0 out of a Chimaera for £400. It is a runner and has 70k miles, owner swapped it for a 5.0ltr.

Trouble is that I don't know whether or not to go to the trouble of this 4.0ltr motor or wait for either a 5.0ltr motor out of a Griff or go for a 4.6 RR?

Also, will this motor be any better than the 3.5 Vitesse motor I already have?

Thanks Mark
    It will be better BUT IMHO it's got to be at least a 4.6L to cover the cost and trouble your going too.
    Martin

351W 416.7 HP and 466.8 ft-lbs

Running Mega Squirt and Edis 8

yeah, I'd go with a 4.6 - that'll be a real step up..
    Crendon CR427 No. 55

I remember Kaase saying to build a 400+ HP Cleveland you "use good parts and then starting pulling plug wires 'till you get there"...

You could always get hold of a 4.6 crank, rods & pistons and fit them to the 4.0 engine (which appears to be in good nick)
    Cobra not quite as shiny as my head

I hadn't thought of that, going to rebuild anyway.
    I assume by that the bores are the same?

Quote Originally Posted by robinj66 View Post
    You could always get hold of a 4.6 crank, rods & pistons and fit them to the 4.0 engine (which appears to be in good nick)
    You need to be careful about that - TVR called some of the 'old' 3.9 2 bolt engines '4.0' in some of their applications - the 4.6 bits won't fit that block (easily). They then carried on calling the 'new' 4 bolt engines 4.0 (and LR adopted the 4.0 for the 4 bolt engine even though they're still the same capacity as the 3.9s).

Good point Russell. Thank you.
    Cobra not quite as shiny as my head

Might still be worth checking out though, That isn't a bad price for a 3.9 / 4.0 engine. Better if it is a cross bolted engine though obviously.

I once rebuilt a TVR 4.0 cross bolted engine and was really looking forward to it thinking I'll be able to see all the performance mods they made to it to get their claimed 250 odd horse power. Once I had it in bits though I found they had done absolutely feck all to it! It was a completely standard Land Rover 4.0 except for the camshaft. I was quite disappointed really.

Still, It had nice TVR logos on the rocker covers.

Craig.

Built a Dax once, Long time ago, painted it blue, original huh...?

http://www.cobraclub.com/gallery/showgallery.php/ppuser/714/username/craggle

there is no substitute for cubic inches

I've a 3.5 RV8, and been in a 3.9 & 4.0 - a noticeable difference.

Stock 4.0 and 4.6 from a Rangie can be prone to cracked blocks and liners slipping (I have 2 of them duffers)

I don't think the 3.9 suffered as bad, and seem to remember TVR got the thicker wall blocks in an off the record agreement with Rover who knew of the defect at the time.

For £400 and confidence there's no water leaking into the oil, then I would go for it - wont beat a 5.7, but it'll give you more smiles than the 3.5

Jon
    Oh crap...the wife has realised there is no such thing as a 5 minute job !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast