Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mine is running what appear to be cortina springs with spax shocks

Hi dgosumo,
    My wheels are four stud. The original dampers look like they are from the original cortina. I am replacing the with gaz units supplied by Burton. I have just put the one of the new springs in but have not released the compressors yet. It looks like I will have the car sitting lower than with the original springs which is not what I want. I need to get the tyres further away from the wheel arches so they do not rub when I brake or hit a bump in the road. The old springs supplied by pilgrim are well pitted even though the car has only done around 2500 miles.(2001 sva)

TINKA,
    Do you have any names/contact numbers for spring manufacturers who provide the service you talk about?

Ah martsam then yours sounds just like mine. i.e. standard Cortina wishbones, hubs etc. I always thought the Rover engine was similar weight to the Pinto but perhaps it's different enough to take the front down.

Rally Design Clicky do a range of different Cortina springs including V6 ones which might help at ~£20+VAT.

I've also asked a couple of Cortina owners who are running RV8s if they can check what springs they are running in case that helps.

Two more questions
    1. did you check the suspension bushes? Standard rubber ones can compress and that doesn't help the ride height too
    2. can you post up details of your existing springs:
    - are there any coloured paint marks on them
    - what's the free length
    - how many coils
    Last edited by dgosumo; 16-11-13 at 09:57 AM.

Hi all,
    I might be ok. Just fitted the springs and damper to one side and let the car down on the wheels. The side with the new spring and damper is about 15-20mm higher than with the original springs. I need to do the other side now and see how it sits. So not too bad news after all. Hopefully the new set- up will not result in the wheel rubbing. The original springs were 340mm free length whilst the new are 320mm free length. The new springs appear to be 0.5mm larger wire diameter although the originals were heavily pitted. If I knew how to post a photo I would show old and new springs side by side. Anyone tell me how to attach photo?

martsam,

The procedure outlined in the attached picture (originally sent to Pete??) work for me, worth a try if it is not what you are already doing.

Good luck,
    Ian
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Pilgrim Sumo Mk3; IVA Apr. 2014; RV8 3.9 EFi ; Cosworth T5; Granada Donor
    Phase Two underway - Conversion to Japanese

Hey that's good news, sounds like the new springs are higher rater than the originals. Looking at my Ford workshop manual there are quite a few different springs on the Mk3/4/5 with free lengths from 295mm to 324mm, strangely the longer ones on the 1300 and the shorter ones on the standard Pinto cars (I guess that makes sense if you think about the way a spring works. Wire diameters range from 13.3mm to 14.5mm and the number of coils from 7.1 to 7.6

Also do check the rubber bushes both the one that's inside the bottom arm and the two T shaped ones in the top arms. The former will affect ride height if worn and they're pretty easy and cheap to replace while you have the arms off

There are many things to consider when changing springs and shocks. You may well have shorter (new) springs but if they are of a higher poundage and compression rating then the car will sit at a different height and compress at a much different level to your old longer springs. Also if you had normal Cortina non adjustable shocks and you now fit a different adjustable shock this will also affect the spring and damping rate over your old set up depending on what damping rate you opt for. You could take your ols springs and get them rated and then get say springs that are rated 20% harder and slightly lower but your ride height should be pretty close at static. The difference will become more obvious as the spring compresses and becomes harder as will the damping rating.
    Gareth

Seriously modified Sumo with a Ford 363. SOLD. Now building a Mercury Cyclone Spoiler.

Hey martsam, how did it all go? Did you get my PM?

I could tell you a very long story about the history of Pilgrim springs...
    Not today though!
    Mk2 Sumo front springs were refined during their decade plus production run....

In the end we were supplying 240lb per inch (silver/red iirc) or 260lb (silver/blue iirc) and they were the dogs bollocks!

We had no problem with that spec at all but I ordered a batch of 280 pounders to see if they were going to be any better or worse.
    Den Tanner

Update,
    I finally got the springs and dampers installed and even though the Burton supplied springs were 20 mm shorter than the original Pilgrim springs the final setup is 25mm higher than with the original setup. So I am happy with the new installation and do not think I will get rubbing of the front tyres on the wheel arches anymore. I have left the gaz shockers as supplied without adjustment.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast