Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Front suspension springs-Cortina based sumo

Hi All,
    I wonder if anyone out there can help me. I decided to replace the front springs and dampers on my sumo. I ordered cortina front springs from burton power and some dampers. Anyway I just took the existing spring off one side and the existing spring is approx 20mm longer than the ones I received from burton power. Does anyone know if the spring supplied by pilgrim were longer than standard cortina springs? If so where can I get springs to replace the existing ones?

Regards

Marts am

The first thing I would do if you haven't done it already is to give Pilgrim a call and get Den's advice.
    Martin

351W 416.7 HP and 466.8 ft-lbs

Running Mega Squirt and Edis 8

Hi Martin,
    I had a long talk with Den the other week and he said that all the records about springs were lost so he suggested I ask on here. I took a chance and ordered cortina springs but they are shorter than the original build springs. I did not do the original build. Hence any help would be most highly welcome.

The springs supplied by Pilgrim were custom made to their requirements and bore very little resemblance (other than the obvious) to Mr Ford's offerings.

They were colour coded with a dab of paint to differentiate between the various "poundages". The list of codes used to be taped to the side of one of the shelves in the workshop but last time I spoke about it to Den he said it had disappeared during the reign of Tony Holmes.

I would still suggest that you check with Den to see if he can help.

I might have a spare set of springs in the shed but would have to check - even then no way of telling what the rating is

ETA Typing this as Martsam posted his reply
    Cobra not quite as shiny as my head

What engine are you running (i.e. a weight question) and are you standard Cortina with 4 stud wheels or Granada adapted?My sumo's standard and on the Mk4 Cortina springs I removed from the donor and fitted personally. There are different free length standard springs, I have some spare Ford ones, again personally removed from a standard Cortina which are different to my fitted ones.Two questions: - why are you replacing the old ones. - have you tried fitting the Burton ones? If so what's the fitted ride height like?

Hi,
    I am replacing the springs and dampers because after I changed the original pinto engine with a rv8 I was getting rubbing at the front wheel arch is I thought I would replace the springs and fit adjustable dampers. Not sure what the ride height would be like with the Burton springs as I do not want to fit them and then have to remove them again if the ride height is lower as I think it will be as the Burton springs are 20mm shorter.

Reading this with interest as I have the same car and was planning the same overhaul over the winter months

What are the dims of the Burton ones you have bought and what poundage?

If you really want to do a good job and upgrade your shocks and springs then go direct to one of the spring manufacturers and speak to them. As far as shocks go you need to know the length they need to be on full droop and the length when they are fully compressed with the wheels on so the wheel does not contact the wheel arch, then you need to know the overall weight and the corner weights and if the shocks are mounted at an angle. They will be able to measure all this and come up with the correct spring poundage and shocker length. Takes all the guess work out of it and I belive most of the manufacturers will offer this service possibly for a small cost. Worth a few phone calls any way.
    Martin

351W 416.7 HP and 466.8 ft-lbs

Running Mega Squirt and Edis 8

The original Sumos if yours is like mine uses Ford parts at the front. Shocks are standard Cortina. I have spax on mine, Gaz do some decent adjustable ones too. Have you checked the upper and lower suspension bushes? Also I don't think I've seen confirmation of whether you have 4 or 5 stud hubs.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast